Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • caley etape; all charges dropped.
  • duckman

ALL CHARGES have been dropped against the chairman of the local community council who had been accused of attempting to sabotage Perthshire’s popular Etape cycle race in the summer.

Alexander Grosset, of Bridge of Gaur, Rannoch, was charged in May with culpably and recklessly placing tacks on the surface of a public road, which was being used as a closed-road cycle event.

It was alleged he showed complete disregard for the safety of the competitors and pedestrians, causing damage to the bicycles, emergency service vehicles and other associated vehicles.

Mr Grosset appeared in private before Sheriff Michael Fletcher at Perth and was released on bail.

Hundreds of cyclists were left with punctures at the Etape Caledonia event.

The 81-mile race starts and finishes in Pitlochry.

Mr Grosset, a church elder, is the chairman of Rannoch and Tummel Community Council.

A Crown Office spokesman said yesterday, “We can confirm that the procurator fiscal in Perth received a report concerning a 62-year-old man in relation to an incident on 16 May, 2009.

“After full and careful consideration of all the facts and circumstances by Crown counsel, it was decided there should be no further proceedings.”

Competitors were sent tumbling and countless others suffered punctures after hundreds of carpet tacks were strewn across almost five miles of Highland Perthshire road.

There has always been vocal opposition from a minority of residents to the Etape, but no-one was prepared for what happened next as the leadriders suffered punctures about 43 miles into the course.

The race was held up for around 90 minutes as marshalls and police swept the road before allowing the field to continue.

It is thought the tacks were laid only minutes after officials carried out their final check on the route, some time between 6.30am and 7am.

Tayside Police launched an investigation and described the sabotage as a “reckless and irresponsible” act that could have had tragic consequences.

Mr Grosset was the only person to face charges in the wake of the incident.

Local Councillor Ken Lyall said at the time he was “absolutely furious,” blaming “a low and contemptible” hard core of protesters for the sabotage.

“I cannot believe that someone has been so stupid,” Mr Lyall said.

“For anti-Etape campaigners to lower them-selves to do this is a very sad day for Highland Perthshire.”

North Tayside MSP John Swinney said, “This was a highly dangerous act that could have brought serious injury to people on the event.

“It brings many visitors to Highland Perthshire and such an act is totally contrary to the hospitable and welcoming traditions of this area.”

Stoner
    Free Member

is there a mechanism in Scottish law for requiring crown counsel to explain their decision?

nickc

Mr Grosset, a church elder, is the chairman of Rannoch and Tummel Community Council.

and

“After full and careful consideration of all the facts and circumstances by Crown counsel, it was decided there should be no further proceedings.”

I would imagine these two statements in that press release are not unconnected

duckman

Ex-partner in a well established legal firm as well, Git. I cannot understand why it was not in the public interest to prosecute,bearing in mind how much he affect the "public" in the area that day.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Maybe not enough evidence or something? Sucks though.

Stoner
    Free Member

The former member of Pitlochry Rotary Club told of his relief at learning that the charges against him had been dropped.

He said: “I’ve got to say the whole situation was horrifying. Spending two nights in Perth police station isn’t exactly great. I didn’t realise that the justice system could treat people like that.

“I never did it, and there was never a shred of evidence to suggest that I did, which makes me wonder why it took so long for it to eventually reach this point. The thing that needs to be considered is that, if I didn’t do it, someone else did, and they haven’t been caught.

“Because of this my details have been posted on internet sites and I have received hassle from people on the back of that, but everyone at the community council and round and about Rannoch has been very supportive.”

A Crown Office spokes-woman said: “We can confirm that the procurator fiscal in Perth received a report concerning a then 62-year-old man in relation to an incident on May 16, 2009.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1550970?UserKey=#ixzz0burNM8SG

OK. So maybe the fuzz need to explain themselves rather than the prosecutor?

geoffj

Unbelievable. 😯

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I am a local and live right on the route of the Etap. The whole police investigation has been a complete joke with some of the key interviews not taking place until 6 months after the event. I'm just totally disgusted, but at least 2 days in the nick and lots of local hassle may stop anybody else thinking about doing anything similar. BTW, I know for a fact this guy absolutely does not have the support of the vast majority people around Rannoch or anywhere else.

On a more positive note, the organisers are taking steps to make sure there can be no repeat this year, entries are up on last year, 99% of the local population are fully supportive of the event, and we have organised perfect weather for that weekend

hora
    Free Member

How much out of the year does this event take up? Does this 'Councillor' own the roads? Selfish bitter old idiot.

BoardinBob

Could those that were injured or suffered damages bring a collective private case against him?

druidh
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member
    Could those that were injured or suffered damages bring a collective private case against him?

If they can provide evidence.

DickBarton

His address was posted in earlier reports…don't know if anyone sent him the bill for the damage caused to them and their bikes…although he denies it that isn't going to stop people thinking it was him. Whoever did it was well out of order and should it hunted down…

alpin
    Free Member

it just needs one keen cyclist to find out where he lives (can't be that hard) and stick a nail through each of his car tyres. once he's got them repaired/replaced then repeat.

make his life shit.

or a group of cyclists could hunt him down and have an accident with his car for which he is at fault. his version of events against that of half a dozen roadies.

guy is obviously a cock.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It isn't difficult to find his address, there aren't very many Alexander Grosset, living in Tighnacoille, Bridge of Gaur or many laundrette and dry cleaners in Pitlochry.

But remember folks 'he didn't do it'.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

alpin- and what if it really wasn't him? Or do you have more information than the rest of us?

crazy-legs

Various people connected with ACRE (Against Closed Road Events) had demands for damages off angry people – it's very easy to find businesses, email and postal addresses etc off the internet and most of the ACRE lot weren't shy in making their views known.

One guy emailed STW threatening legal action because his name had been posted on a forum thread. I don't think they realised that the internet could work against them like that, nor did they realise just how much of a backlash the actions of one individual (whether he was ACRE or not) would affect them.

Best action is simply to ignore them. Don't give them any justification to continue their campaign – the last thing the Etape needs is to contend with allegations that riders of that event are committing or advocating criminal damage. Two wrongs etc…

duckman

Tsk,tsk Gary, you forgot the postcode.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Best thing you can do with these sort of people is enter the event, make it more and more popular and keep doing so.

C

hora
    Free Member

I bet you if a BNP etc march was organised through their area they'd be silent on the matter.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Tsk,tsk Gary, you forgot the postcode.

The information was in the article duckman, I didn't go looking for it, but if you did it would be pretty easy to find.

alpin
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member

alpin- and what if it really wasn't him? Or do you have more information than the rest of us?

no more information than the rest of you; perhaps less.

i think given the article above and Capt. Mainwaring's description of what went on we can be quite safe in the knowledge that it was him. and if it wasn't then it'll help keep the local tyre supplier in business….

crazy-legs

There were some great comments on some of the local newspaper websites as well. The main voice behind it all was a local busybody councillor type, he was another chap who made the mistake of having all his details all over the internet…

He kept writing snotty letters to local MPs, always signing it off with various important sounding letters after his name which turned out to simply mean he was a member of the Royal College of Musicians. 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

ChrisE – Member
    Best thing you can do with these sort of people is enter the event, make it more and more popular and keep doing so.

Exactly. It's a disgrace, but lets move on.

FWIW, ACRE has effectively no local support. Their justification for continued protest is a small local survey they did before the first event 3 years ago, when a lot of people (including me) were against it. Opinion has now totally changed, with all local businesses and nearly everyone else (including me) supporting it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘caley etape; all charges dropped.’ is closed to new replies.