Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Calling Chippenham riders
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Hi

Have just moved down towards the south west and now live in central chippenham. I know i have no shortage of riding spots if i get in the car but I would really appreciate a friendly local to give me a start on where the best 'out of my front door' trails are. Ideally im looking for some nite riding buddys if there are any, but anyone who gets out only at weekends let me know.
    If you live in chippenham I would love to hear from you and maybe get out riding, pretty much any riding style/speed goes.
    Would also be interested in opinions of some decent bike shops too!

Thanks

T1000
    Free Member

YGM re local night riding

for shops, nothing in chippenham worth mentioning unfortunately you'll need to go the other local towns

Bath has 3 main shops AVC, Total Fitness and John's Bikes (IMHO I'd go to Johns every time)

I've heard good thing about Red Planet in Swindon, CH White in Malmsbury

titusrider
    Free Member

thanks, will be in touch re e-mail

titusrider
    Free Member

More than one rider from chippenham surely?

racefaceec90

well i live in devizes (about 15 miles from chippenham,unfortunately do not have a car though).am not too fit at present,but would be happy to show you around roundway hill/pewsey vale,the ridgeway. my e mail:- adamibanezcunningham@hotmail.co.uk

richardk
    Free Member

Red Planet do a night ride every week, haven't been for a while so its worth confirming with them that its still on (its on their website).

There's a few trails start around Calne on the A4 out to Marlborough. Quick scan of the OS map should find them (on the South side)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Not from Chippenham but second Red Planet in Swindon as a good bike shop. There's also a regular evening ride from the shop on Tuesdays if you're prepared to travel that far.

squarewheels
    Free Member

I ride with the T1000's crowd. Okay, re-phrase, I have been known to ride with T1000s crowd. Good bunch, very knowledgable re local and wider area.

There are at least a couple other groups but I don't know anything about them. CountZero off here is Chip based and may be able to advise.

Welcome to the area….

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Hi Adam we need to get out for that ride I'll PM you. Could be the beginnings of a STW N Wilts ride here.

racefaceec90

cheers uponthedowns.am still no better at the guitar either. ps i have around a gig and a half internet credit left (once it has run out,will not be on internet for a while as i am saving towards a new anthem x 4) so if i do not reply that will be the reason. will give you my number uponthedowns 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

I now live in devon but I will also sing the praises of red planet in Swindon Ivan and freddie are cracking folk and they do a superb coffee in the shop

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

for shops, nothing in Chippenham worth mentioning

I bring you glad tidings: There will be soon. My mate 'John' is taking one over (I forget the name of it) but will be giving it ONE HELL of a re-vamp.

🙂

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Agree on red planet being a jolly nice shop but I also stop by the Big Adventure Store in Swindon too.

while we're on the subject of chippenham, whats spirt hill like? is it spirt hill?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Is that the one in Calne that closed down about 6 months ago?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have a mate who rides it and he says it is OK but is still up and coming. But worth £3 all day.

CountZero

Hi, I'm I Chippenham. Most of the best riding's up on the Marlborough/Pewsey Downs. There are lots of bits of bridleway out Castle Combe way, but you need to link them up with lanes. Red Planet Bikes are good from what I've heard; I've been using John's Bikes for years, good crowd, very knowledgeable, and Sean knows lots of riding around Bath, plus he knows the Forest of Dean hidden trails like the back of his hand. Good news on a new shop in Chippenham, I'm very interested in hearing more about this. Drop me a line, 'mail in profile. Welcome to Wiltshire!

titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, ill be out by myself thursday eve for a quick scout round locally and hopefully get out with T1000 next week.

Anyone sees a yellow Cotic simple gimmie a wave!

CountZero

If you fancy a jaunt out to a pub for a bevy and some map checking, I'm around, and any excuse while the weather's fine is ok with me. Mail me on adrian_hillierATbtinternetDOTcom
    I'll probably be out on the bike anyway, so company on a ride would make a nice change.

hoodoo
    Free Member

Hi Titus, I'm expecting to get out tonight when I am back from work. If you want to meet up then I can show you some of the routes out around Biddestone / Castle Combe. At the moment I can get about an hours riding without needing any lights.

Maybe meet at 6:45 outside the rugby club? Follow Frogwell from Hungerdown Lane near the Tescos Petrol Station. Cross over the by-pass using the foot bridge and the rugby club entrance is shortly on the right.

llama

t1000 knows the chipenham riding from your door. I'll be out with them next week I expect so see you then. It will probably be a local (or Bath) start as we ventured all the way over to CwmCarn last night.

imo west (more woods but have to link them) is more interesting than east (more downs but more off road)

there is another regularish group from bath on wed nights, analogueandy on here 'organises' it I think their address is bathmtbathotmaildotcom but its been a while since I've seen them about. Its fair to say they usually have a higher pace than us.

If you can't wait then take an OS map into Johns bikes and I'm sure Sean can point out the fun bits.

CountZero

At the moment I can get about an hours riding without needing any lights.

…but the lights are good for riding back from the pub!

hoodoo
    Free Member

(Xipe_Totec) Yeah, when out with T1000 and the "others" it's good to finish at the White Heart in Biddestone. Good beer and a welcoming landlord

titusrider
    Free Member

Hoodoo I might just take you up on that, im just gonna check with she that must be obeyed and make sure i know where your talking about!

email in profile and we can exchange mobiles in case i cant find u/ am late?

titusrider
    Free Member

clearance granted, cya there hoodoo

hoodoo
    Free Member

email sent

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

there is another regularish group from bath on wed nights, analogueandy on here 'organises' it I think their address is bathmtbathotmaildotcom but its been a while since I've seen them about. Its fair to say they usually have a higher pace than us.

Has indeed been a while llama! I guess both of our groups have got too big to think about organising more 'joint' rides this year. Although we bumped into some of your lot last week up at Charmydown and I thought Lansdown last night (I guess only some of you went over the bridge?'

Anyhow, 'Organises' is a bit steep;-) but yes there's another regular group out of Bath that set's off from Widcombe High Street at 6.30pm every Wednesday. Pace is 'social XC', true we don't hang around but no-one ever gets left behind.

There's a link to some scary pictures in my profile – mostly beer drinking but you'll get the idea :-))

titusrider
    Free Member

6:30 in bath is probably gonna end up being a bit early for me, work in reading so need to factor in getting home etc and getting to bath it would be a touch difficult. im sure ill bump in to you at some point though!
    I might end up having to try and find some weekend buddys next!

aleigh
    Free Member

i live in swindon……….i don't ride locally at all but would be interested to meet up once you get your bearings!

thekingofsweden

You know the lane with the white boots right if youre a Chippenham rider 😀

Dont live in corsham now but will be up to do our fave ride at some time with some little gems

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Calling Chippenham riders’ is closed to new replies.