Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Calling Swansea/South Wales Bikers. Help with trail objecters.
  • IdleJon

As some of you may know, waymarked trails have been planned in Clyne Valley on the west of Swansea, and work actually started a few months ago, carried out by Back on Track, Rowan Sorrel’s boys.

Unfortunately work had to be interrupted but is due to start again soon. Unfortunately once again, the local council has received letters of objection.

I would ask for anyone with an interest in riding in this area to send an email in support of the trails to planning@swansea.gov.uk

Maybe some of the things to mention:

•will encourage tourism to the area
    •positive involvment of local community
    •positive effects on local youth
    •sustainability of trails
    •the consideration of other users in the overall plan – walkers & equestrians
    •considerations of environmentally sesitive areas

For those of you who aren’t familiar with Clyne, it is a wooded valley that has been used by MTBs since they were first around. It is used widely by walkers, the occasional horse rider, dogwalkers etc. Plenty of flora and fauna – it’s a pleasant place to spend time. It’s worth a visit with your bike if you are in the area. Find a local to show you the best trails!

As far as I’m aware there isn’t a major conflict going on between users. Everyone gets along fairly peacefully.

To give you an idea of the tone of the objections:

I am not anti bikers – in fact our business(es)…. have a number of visitors who stay and go to nationally recognised centres at Brechfa and Afan Argoed. However, any development should be in the right place and with the right management – Clyne Valley is not the right place

I’d ask where better to put waymarked trails than a wood that is heavily used by MTBs currently and can bring visitors and their all-important revenue.

All support would be appreciated as a lot of work would be wasted if the NIMBYs get their way.

z1ppy

hmmm I know some-one in Swansea planning (off-hand this wouldn’t be there area of expertise), may see if they know anything about this.

IdleJon

z1ppy, are you on the MTBPigs forum? If so there’s more info on there.

z1ppy

nope, never heard of it, i’m midlands based though, but will take look.
    Have emailed my friend, will see what comes back.

IdleJon

Ah, I assumed you were local!

z1ppy

Nahh, but even the Welsh occasionnally make exceptions, and have English friends 😉 …..ok …..acquaintances

Got a link to anything relevent on the mtbpig site, am interested, but nothing jumping out at me.

IdleJon

The juicy bits are on the private board so that we can make, ahem, frank and honest observations on the information we have.

Too many people from the opposite camp read the public board to make sure that we aren’t out murdering squirrels! 🙄 Or building trails where we shouldn’t.

brakeswithface

Thanks for flagging this up, I’ll definitely send them something.

IdleJon

cheers brakes….

are you Nick who rode with us last year, btw?

z1ppy

bugger, my friend is currently off ill, so can’t shed any light for a while yet. 🙁

IdleJon

Basically there is a small campaign being orchestrated by a couple who are well known in Swansea.

Strangely, they are heavily involved in tourism sites – the sort of things that articulate, literate visitors with disposable income may be interested in. Like us. They actually own holiday cottages right in the midle of the Clyne trails but seem unable to understand that MTBers might want to find somewhere to stay and that they, the main objecters could make money out of nationally advertised waymarked trails.

One of the resident’s associations is also sending a letter of objection which specifically says that MTBs should maybe not be allowed to use the main tarmac cycle path if they have trails elsewhere. This is how completely irrational this is becoming.

midlifecrashes

I have holidayed in Mumbles and explored Clyne, I’ll do you an email. Are the folk from Clyne Farm where they have the climbing wall etc positive, could be another string to their bow doing guided rides. An alternative end to the Gower Way for MTBers through the valley might be nice too, as would signed alternative routes for bikes on the footpath bits of the Way.

spev

Erm….. No , clyne farm are one of the principle objectors. I have a copy of the email they sent in objecting to the trails and they seem at odds with everything. I feel that they view the woods as their own and would like to keep it as a tranquil haven for their guests at the cottage (don’t get me started on the cottage)

backhander
    Free Member

They actually advertise MTBing as an activity!
    Best avoided I think.
    What are the reviews like on tripadvisor? 😈

brakeswithface

IdleJon: I’m guessing you’re with MTBPigs? If so must have been another Nick, though I did bump into you all outside the Woodman once I think!

IdleJon

Are the folk from Clyne Farm where they have the climbing wall etc positive,
    As spev said, they are the main objecters.

A quote from a report in the local paper:

“There has been antisocial behaviour with mountain bikers jumping down the drive and the path.”

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/notice-police-number-report-yobs/story-12427686-detail/story.html

Notice the use of ‘the drive’ when she actually means the bridleway/access track to the cottage. The track isn’t her property.

backhander – Member
    What are the reviews like on tripadvisor?

Lol, that’s not the first time that’s been suggested.

IdleJon

Seeing as a typhoon has hit Swansea, there may be a few riders wasting time on their computers rather than getting wet. So I’ll bump this…..

IdleJon

I’ll bump this one last time…..

davidjey
    Free Member

Dashed off an email. Here’s hoping it does some good. I live in Cwmafan now but lived in Swansea for three years and used Clyne quite a bit. Rode with MTBPigs occasionally – nice bunch but a bit too fast downhill for me 😉

IdleJon

nice bunch but a bit too fast downhill for me

You have genuinely made me LOL!!

I probably haven’t ridden with you so I’ll pass the compliment on….

IdleJon

Saves Moos video:

http://cdn1.video.mporatrons.com/mporaPlayer3.03062011.1645.swf?id=p0Cc9SuV4&ext=1&site=live

The Moos jumps at the top of Clyne valley are now under threat. They have featured in Dirt and are some of the most beautifully constructed jumps ever seen.

The council had given permission, but it has now withdrawn it and nobody is allowed to use the jumps. If any rider is seen on the jumps, the council have threatened to bulldoze the lot.

Similarly, the slalom jumps which are further down the hill and seem to have been there forever.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Thanks for the bump. Not spotted this before. Email sent. Another one who holidays on Gower with the family at least once during the year, I found Clyne Woods a couple of years back and enjoy discovering what you guys have been up to.

maxlite
    Free Member

email sent Jon

Cheers

Steve

IdleJon

Ta Steve, how are you? I’ve heard that Freddy (and Matt) have been spotted riding with the Wheelers, and dropping Dave M?

You should meet us down at Clyne of a Thursday – and enjoy a pint afterwards….

loughor
    Free Member

Message sent. Originally from Swansea, always ride in Clyne when I get home. Good luck with the struggle.

maxlite
    Free Member

Hi Jon, yeah I’m fine, work most nights now in my new delivery driver role (need the money)!!!

Freddy and Matt are often out with the Wheelers…and Dave thats another story!

Moos jumps are a work of art……..maybe they deserve an art’s grant??, will try and get down to Clyne if I have a Thursday off.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Calling Swansea/South Wales Bikers. Help with trail objecters.’ is closed to new replies.