Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can’t find a replacement freewheel for Bontrager Rhythm Elite Wheel
  • MrO
    Free Member

I’ve got Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheels. The freewheel has had it and keeps slipping. Got the cassette off OK but I’m struggling to remove the freewheel hub. Managed to get the body off revealing the pawls and spring, but it looks like I need an additional tool to remove the rest of it. Anybody done it and can give me some advice, would be helpful. Also, can’t find anywhere that sells replacement freewheels. Again, any help or advice would be useful. Thanks, Mr O

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you ever found a solution did you? Am assuming you did, or does anyone else have any ideas?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’d be interested to find this out to as these are the wheels I am runnig at the moment.

halfbee
    Free Member

Rhythm Elite Hubs use DT Oynx hub internals

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ok ta halfbee 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

found the service manual with part numbers etc 😀

http://www.dtswiss.com/Resources/2009/OldDocuments/MAN_hubs_Onyx_Cerit_OEM_370_2007_20070404.aspx

seems there are tools required, has anyone done a hub service without the specific tools and can advise me please?

coatesy
    Free Member

Been a while since I stripped one, but seem to recall the freehub shell pulling off once the locknut is removed, the caged rollers just pull out, the pawls are held onto the pawl carrier by a thin wire spring wrapped around them, and once you’ve tapped the axle and bearing through the hub it’ll reveal a large (11mm or 12mm I think)allen bolt holding the pawl carrier to the hub shell from the rear(not usually removed unless damaged). Parts usually available via a Trek dealer.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Now that sounds hopeful, might only need a cheap spring, or even more likely a clean and re-grease 🙂

smiththemainman
    Free Member

No special tools needed as coatesy says large allen key though from non disc side of hub,I have renewed all sorts of parts in the samehub twice in a year, after loosing freewheel twice in pain in the backside places up The Lakes plus constant clicking/clunking I have recently bought a Hope 2 hub and fitted it (28 spokes), the Dt hub was spoiling my rides and always in the back of my mind my personal opinion is the original hub is not upto 2 rides a week up the Lakes.What I have found is minimal grease around the pawls or they will not spring out correctly.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ok thanks for the advice I will give it a go this morning, as Tracker1972 I think mine could do with a clean and regrease as it’s sounding gritty.

mtbfix

When my RaceLites started slipping it just required removal of the cassette carrier body then you could simply remove the pawl retainer spring and the lot can be cleaned and regreased then it goes back together and all is hunky-dory.

eddyesi
    Free Member

Just in case it helps

2010 Bontrager rhythm elite
    15/20mm fronts
    6805 2RS
    remove disc, caps just pull off, then knock out one side with the through axle, remove bearing then use axle to knock out other side

9mm QR rears
    6000 2RS non drive side
    16100 2RS in shimano freehub body
    6900 2RS drive side (under/behind freehub)

remove cassette and drive side lock nut 17mm and spacer cap, hit axle to knock out non drive side bearing. freehub just pulls off (gently, watch you dont take freehub support needle roller bearings with it), and can tap out its bearing from the inside once circlip is removed. Drive side bearing i tapped out with the axle through the hub.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can’t find a replacement freewheel for Bontrager Rhythm Elite Wheel’ is closed to new replies.