Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Charge Tap (new) – pics
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Here she is.
    [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_8HHNYVugsMw/TbvanT0tbhI/AAAAAAAAEEw/h5Fet1S6iRk/s640/29042011026.jpg[/img][img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_8HHNYVugsMw/Tbvaf9aOfdI/AAAAAAAAEEg/9TgdYPOH57Y/s640/29042011025.jpg[/img]

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s a nice ride but looks too plain and boring.
    Get some bling on there. Oh and lose the reflectors 🙂

motivforz
    Free Member

Review? Good bad points you’ve discovered so far? How is the rear hub.
    (Trying my hardest not to buy something like this for commuting to my summer job)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK a quick initial review.

Context first: My oldest MTB, circa 1995, which I was using as a rat/commuter/freeroad bike, came to the end of its useful life – knackered BB seized in frame. I wanted a solid feeling big wheeler, not a racy bike as I don’t like drops much. This is currently a bargain on wiggle (2010 edition) at £329.

1. It’s tange prestige steel gas-pipe with a Nexus hub, so it’s not a light skippy bike. You feel the weight a little on draggy climbs

2. it’s stiff so sprints really well, esp with the bar-ends on.

3. I’m 5′ 11″ and the medium frame feels a little small but by moving the saddle back, flipping the stem and bar-ends, it feels good. I may try a 120mm stem as the supplied stem is only 80/90mm

4. It rolls lovely on the flat and when you pedal it up to speed it veritably barrels along – an unstoppable feeling that shrugs off broken tarmac, potholes and gravel. It’s extremely stable and confident feeling when breaking speed limits 🙂 I guess that’s the stiffness and the steel aspect.

5. The Nexus seems to just work without fuss – the grip shift is bearable. Some clunkyness and a large step between 4/5 but not a problem when you know it’s coming. At the moment, I fear a puncture as I have not yet worked out how to get the back wheel out with the Nexus connected. Some garage time needed.

So there it is: A pretty, retro-moderne road bike that feels like riding a mountain bike.

motivforz
    Free Member

Ta for that. Will look into it a bit more, but as you say it is a bargain at that price!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh look, a mid-range hybrid.

bullheart
    Free Member

Oooooh, catty!

paulo99
    Free Member

Can you give me the details of those bar-ends? I am about to buy a Tap and they look very good on it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They are Giant composite “Contact” bar ends. At £40, somewhat spendy, but worth the comfort.

Winstanley Bikes

BTW. I fitted a 120mm stem from my spares box, flipped down, and it’s improved the fit.

“Oh look, a mid-range hybrid”

A pretty accurate description. I’m clearly not inspired by vanity bikes: I also own a Giant and a Boardman!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Wanna buy some CX tyres?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wanna buy some CX tyres?

I won’t be riding this bike off road 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Charge Tap (new) – pics’ is closed to new replies.