Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • Chilterns Forum Ride – Sunday 21st June – all welcome
  • cinnamon_girl

Seeing as there are loads of folk interested in a Chilterns ride, please mark the above date in your diary.

Led by local riders, you are promised an excellent day of riding in a gorgeous part of Southern England. Riding will comprise of undulating terrain, sometimes wooded, plenty of fab singletrack, quality descents and accompanying us will be the inevitable red kites.

Probably around 20-25 miles and Summer Solstice celebrations will follow in the village pub across from the car park.

Ride will start from Watlington, close to the M40. Link, start time and further information to follow.

So … who’s up for this?

cinnamon_girl

Oops, should have said it will be a picnic ride 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Youse’ll probbly start at some ridiculously early hour, so I’ll have to travel down several days beforehand, and stay somewhere.

I went for a ride on Sunday; left my house at half past twelve! Ooh, the decadence…

rOcKeTdOg

will clothes be needed for the solstice celebrations?

rOcKeTdOg

P.S. isn’t that mountain mayhem weekend, if so, i’m out 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Fred – NEARER for you than the New Forest and Westbury!

cinnamon_girl

rOcKeTdOg – clothing is optional for the celebrations 😉

BluePalomino
    Free Member

darn i think i may be away around the 21st, if not i’m up for it.

PePPeR

It’d be great to get down to the chilterns again, I haven’t been for a ride down that way for years. You can count me in and probably one or two others.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Possible date clash with family stuff, but could be a go-er.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im free, count me in.

oldfart

CG can’t swing 2 Sundays in a row !!!!!you’re coming on the safari aren’t you? see you there .

aleigh
    Free Member

i can’t make it – hope you all have a great time 🙂

r6ymy
    Free Member

I can make the 21st, but Oldfart makes a good point, maybe we should try and space these out so there’s 1 group ride a month?

BluePalomino
    Free Member

grrr – can’t make it – i’ll be in California 😀 😀 😀
    who decided on the 21st?

cinnamon_girl

I’m sorry 😳

It’s just not possible to please everyone 😥

The good news is that there’s loads of STW Forum Rides going on these days so that does mean everyone gets an opportunity to get to at least one!

What’s a girl supposed to do 🙄

watly_biker
    Free Member

Count me in … despite having a girly day in London on the Saturday have got my day pass hooray!(husband away in US all this week so good time to ask him!)

nickc

Yep, cool, I’m in.

oldfart

don’t apologise CG at least someone is doing the organising .you will always get moaning minnies!

cinnamon_girl

nick – could you let me know your ideas for routes. Email in profile. Thanks.

oldfart – thank you. I may well have to organise another one at Swinley Forest to help make up for the disappointments 😀

Andy

Yup I’d be up for Chilterns jaunts – not sure about this date but keen to meet up with people & learn some new trails. Tend to ride out of the Henley area midweek/weekends

BluePalomino
    Free Member

may well have to organise another one at Swinley Forest to help make up for the disappointments [:D]

sounds good too.

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Sounds good, don’t think I have the kids that weekend so hopefully will be there.

Ian

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

50/50

That’s the weekend before we go to t’Alps so we’ll see……

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep.
    I usually pop down there once a month and do what was known as the Russ Pinder route that used to be listed on the old STW route guide is it part of that?
    21st should’nt be a problem.

cinnamon_girl

Just wondering – would people prefer to have a pub lunch or drink somewhere, mid-ride as it were?

There is a pub at the end of the ride, by the car park, but unfortunately it doesn’t have London Pride anymore 😥

oldgit – I don’t know that route, could you describe it please.

yossarian
    Free Member

might come along if thats ok – my mum lives in Thame and I think we are visiting around that time. I grew up in Chinnor so used to ride round there a bit.

oldgit
    Free Member

“oldgit – I don’t know that route, could you describe it please.”

I can’t actually I kinda just know where to go, it does start at Cowlease Woods not Christmas Common though. It does stay off road for 36 miles and takes about 3.5 hours

Aidy
    Free Member

hmm, that’s not too far off, I could well be tempted.

EvoStick
    Free Member

Would love to come but will be on Hols.

Have a good one – and let us know if you plan any others in the Chilterns.

Cheers

nickc

C-G I’ll dig a map out today (hopefully) and have look at routes.

oldgit
    Free Member

C-G Nick it goes through these places?
    Cowleaze Woods > Getty Estate > Northend > Pishill > Catslip > Satwell > Kingswood Common > Stoke Row (Bush Wood) > Howberry Wood > Nuffield (Heycroft Shaw) > Park Wood > Park Corner (Digberry Lane) > Chiltern Way > Harcott Hill > Swans Way > Lower Warren (The Ridgeway) > Follow Ridgeway all the way to Hill Farm near M40 and climb back up to Cowlease Woods car park.
    Ish?

nickc

More or less I reckon.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

I know the area fairly well – it’s my local trails, so all things being well I’ll come along if you don’t mind me bring up the rear.
    (will be in Super slow mode by then)

cinnamon_girl

Andy – get that Superlight over to the Chilterns on the 21st, final ride before PdS. If Mr Poddy can (probably) make it, so can you 😉

watly_biker and tinker_belle – looking forward to meeting you both. tinker_belle – your op must have gone well if you are now riding?

oldgit – thanks, will check the map later.

mtbfix

Can I come play, please?

Tinker didn’t have an op. in the end, just lots of rest. It will be her first time back on the bike this weekend.

oldgit
    Free Member

Guys I was only pointing out where I’ve been. I was’nt suggesting it as a route and I’d love to be shown some new stuff.

cinnamon_girl

oldgit – I’m glad that you posted that up, had a little look at the map and it looks a good one. Am happy for people to post up suggestions, after all I’m not a local but just like riding in the Chilterns 🙂

tinker_belle – good luck for your first ride back!

r6ymy
    Free Member

My suggestion for a longer loop.

Frrom Watlington town car park, up Hill Road, left onto Swans Way to Dame Alice Farm, then up to Woods Farm then Cookley Green. Bridleway past nature reserve to Bix Bottom. Oxfordshire Way, then Warmscombe Lane to Middle Assendon. Road to Fawley Bottom then Fawley, then Bridleway from Roundhouse Farm to Reservoir Hill, the on to Upper Woodend Farm. Road to Kimble Farm, then offroad to Turville, then Turville Court, Turville Heath. Holloway Lane to Northend, bridleway from Launders Farm, Oxfordshire Way towards Stonor. Road into Pishill. Offroad to Russels Water.
    At this point anyone that’s had enough can retrace the outward route through Cookley Green and Woods farm to Watlington.
    For a longer route bridleway from Russels Water to Westwood Manor Farm, turn right to Park Corner. Follow the Chiltern Way past Harcourt Hill then right onto Swans Way. Then right onto Ladies Walk, Colliers Bottom, then onto road – Church Lane- back to Cookley Green, then back to Woods farm for a nice descent to Dame Alice Farm, then a bit of the Swans Way before you head down the hill to the car park and the pub.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Oooh this sounds good. I will try and make it. I haven’t made it up there before as I normally ride on the other side of the M40(Wendover). Just hope the pace won’t be too fast as I haven’t been on the bike much due to work commitments.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns Forum Ride – Sunday 21st June – all welcome’ is closed to new replies.