Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Converting Shimano XT Hollowtech II cranks to single speed
  • shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Now i imagine this has been asked before but a quick search didn't turn anything up.

What do i need to do to convert XT cranks for singlespeed use. Also to ensure i get the correct chanline would it be best to run a normal rear hub with spacers and single speed conversion kit, or will i be ok with a standard singlespeed hub?

Cheers

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I use LX with short chainring bolts and an ON-ONE spacer kit. Only mistake I made was putting the chainring on the wrong side of the spider, doh. On the correct side the chainline is pretty good.

vdubber67
    Free Member

If you use a spacer kit, go for the ones with lots of spacers, rather than just the two big ones. More options re chainline then.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Kept my middle ring on the inside, changed the bolts to ss specific, used the on one spacer kit and voila… perfect chain line.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Any pics guys?

Also any thoughts on the chainline if i run a ss rear hub? I am going to build up some cheap strong wheels as this will serve primarily as a jump/pump track bike so can build as ss specific or with a normal hub.

Cheers

tails
    Free Member

you will need

A chainring your existing one may do, i use this one made by salsa as its single speed specific, the new ones made by renthal look nice but are a bit expensive.

A spacer kit, as said above lots of spacers as opposed to two big ones. this one made buy velosolo is nice, and comes in different colours.

Short chainring bolts as normal ones are to long, you could file down your existing ones but it is not really worth the hassle.

And a rear cog these ones made by on one are nice as they are wider at the base so won't damage your hub.

I would use a normal hub as it gives you the option to go back to gears, gear ratio is important and is up yo you and the terrain you ride. Think i'm running 32:14. i believe you should run the front ring where you would run your middle ring but its not that important as a good spacer get lets you fine tune your chainline.

neilnevill
    Free Member

the frugal amongs us will run the chain ring in the 'middle' position, then when its worn turn it around and run it in the 'big ring' position and use th fresh side of the teeth. You can do the same with the sprocket.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I run a On-One steel ring on the middle with some short bolts from HubJub on my cranks. Works fine

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

Cheers guys, think i`ll go with a normal hub, will be useful to be able to have the option to run gears again in the future. Pics very useful Tails, thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Converting Shimano XT Hollowtech II cranks to single speed’ is closed to new replies.