Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cwm Carn
  • fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I go to the downhill trail on the 7th.
    Its my first ever proper trail as well.

What can I expect and what should I wear take with me?

Very exited but nervous. A day trip up from the Isle of Wight, yes I have uplift tickets 🙂

cubemeup
    Free Member

its pretty easy fella just ride within your limits

take some body armour if ur doing the DH but if u do the XC loop keep it as light as you can

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

I’m doing the DH,

ordering some elbow pads soon/

should I wear shin and knee pads, or just knee?

Obviously i’ll have a full face 🙂

cubemeup
    Free Member

just knee i would say but totally up to you fella. what bike u taking?

roddi18
    Free Member

Ok bud first things first, it’s one word, Cwmcarn.
    You’ll have a blast on the dh track. It’s not a hard track by any means. It’s not technical, steep or littered with crazy gap jumps and drops but it will leave you smiling after every run.
    The track is fast by nature so expect to either wear brake pads out or go fast. There are a few jumps at the top of each run and then the whole bottom section is full of jumps after the road drop. The middle has switchbacks, fast corners, rocky steps and a nice section in the woods if you take the black switch point.
    The jumps at the bottom are all tabletops. Some are quite big lenght ways but all pretty easily clearable with speed. There is a bridge that you drop off of and onto the last big table. Be carefull on the day if its windy as i have seen people be blown off track and straight over the back of the following berm.

What to take. Obviously a full face, goggles, and knee pads.
    The rest is up to you. A lot of people do wear armour and to be honest, if it’s your first time i probably would. The track is generally all made of rock so if you go down you will probably cut. Maybe something with elbow protction. Then just normal riding shorts/ jersey.
    There is a cafe/ toilets on site and you will pass a couple of big supermarkets on the way if you do need to get food.
    The closest bike shop is ‘ps cycles’. They are only 5 mins away, just ask in the visitor centre for directions if needed.

I think thats all i can offer bud.
    Have a cracker, i hope it’s a good day.
    Oh, even if it is wet dont worry as personally i think it’s grippier.
    Cheers

JEngledow
    Free Member

Just take it easy for the first couple of runs and gradually get quicker as you learn the track. The road drop isn’t as big as it looks so just go for it!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is the bike i’m taking.

the jersey I have jas built in foam on the elbows.

I’m accident prone by nature and have had some big offs! so i’m very cautious now so it takes a lot for me to build up to jumps and drops. The new berm that is huge looks awesome 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

you’ll be fine – just take it easy the first few runs.

infidel
    Free Member

I went last weekend for my first time ever on the DH track. Had a blast! I had the 661 sub armour stuff (pads sewn into a compression top) DH lid and knee pads. I’d advise shin pads too as the 3 of us who went all ended up with sore shins! Otherwise you should be just fine. I hope you have as much fun as I/we did!

dingabell
    Free Member

You’ll have a blast, but the road drop is a lot steeper than it looks on You Tube vids. Make sure you stop and check it out before you launch yourself off it. As others have said, ride it within your limit and you’ll pick up more and more confidence as the day goes on. Great day out.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Agree with dingabell on the drop, much steeper then it looks.

It’s not difficult, however it’s quite a drop if you go launching off it! I’ve seen people just roll off it at walking pace and been fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cwm Carn’ is closed to new replies.