Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cycle Maintainance Qualifications?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I wanted to get some proper maintainance qualifications (Which I do) what would be the best way to go about it, bearing in mind that I work full time?
    What would be a minimum level worth doing, beaing in mind that I'm pretty handy as it is?
    I've noticed that there's more than one type too – C&G, Cytech, Cycle Systems Academy. Is one better than another?
    Roughly, how much does it cost?

Getting a job in a bike shop isn't an option right now….

Sorry, rather vague questions I know. 🙂

rootes1

cytech seems to be the most recognised

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do want the quals?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why do want the quals?

Why not? 😉

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

im looking for a mech and id want a trained one to come with cytech which is the recogised qualification in the industry…that said theres great mechs out theyre that dont have it and really bad ones that do(halfrauds)

parts one and 2 are all youd need.it costs about £500 but you can sometimes get funding for it…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

parts one and 2 are all youd need.it costs about £500 but you can sometimes get funding for it…

How do you get funding? I doubt I could get it mind…..

Are evening courses possible?

cutsngrazes
    Free Member

have a look at ATG (rec) – these guys do CYTECH 1 -3 and wheel building etc etc.
    Yes there is funding availabe if you are under 25 and are in employment with a bike shop or related co.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hmm. Just having a look through the website….

£400+ for level one, £1000+ for 2 and 3

Trying not to be big headed but I reckon I could pass level 2 right now from the details they give, and have a good stab at level 3 too. It's nothing I've not done before, TBH.

Yes there is funding availabe if you are under 25 and are in employment with a bike shop or related co.

39 and work in a Quarry? 😉

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

its hard for me to get funding because im in scotchland for the guys to be trained but i would also recommend atg as theyre the biggest providers…

Macavity
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

Interested in this myself (slightly concerned re. liability issues when I fix a guest's bike plus we might get our own hire bikes in the future).

Costs do seem pretty severe though. Anyone got experience of just doing the assessment without doing the training course? As Poddy says, the requirements don't look like anything I couldn't already handle, only thing that might be interesting is dealing with all the different brands/models (e.g. I'm an expert at bleeding Hayes, not bad at Shimano but if I turned up at an assessment and got hit with Avid, I wouldn't know where to start!).

cynic-al
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Why not?

Just curious. I wrenched for years and thankfully didn't have to sit any nonsense like this.

IHN

Cycle Maintainance Qualifications

You'd best hope that they don't include a spelling test 😉

jordie
    Free Member

* Health & safety in the workshop
    * Workshop practice
    * British Standard 6102.1 1992
    * Pre Delivery Inspection
    * Frame alignment and preparation
    £431.25 That is a bit on the expensive side for what you get.There isn`t alot about bikes in there

travellingman
    Free Member

I'd question it if you're just doing the qualification(s) for their own sake. If it's to pursue a longer term, 'get a job' approach then it's a 'maybe' as you often have to jump through hoops to get where you want. The bicycle 'industry', such as it is, seems to be a pathetic joke to me. Unprofessional and poorly skilled to the core.

I cut my teeth in the motorcycle trade (seen as slightly 'second rate' by the car trade in comparison) but despite this, what a difference. Bicycles and MTBs in particular are just a poor impersonation of motorcycles.

You don't need some crappy piece of paper to prove that you know, what you already know!

coatesy
    Free Member

As long as you're competent then you don't have to do the course, we just took an assessment with Cytech,which consisted of pages of multiple choice questions(mostly safety or BS related, with some pretty dubious answers included), strip and rebuild a bike with V- brakes(let us do one with discs, lot's needed building, all had discs), service a cup and cone rear hub, and build a rear wheel.Think it cost £400 for the assessor to come to us and test two mechanics, obviously cheaper if you go to them.

Mr5O
    Free Member

I've just recently put myself through the Cytech level 2 qual, paying full whack (£1.5K roughly incl VAT), I'm currently un-employed so thought I might as well make use of my time and do something constructive, the way i see it is, yes it is a big outlay but over the course of my life (Hopefully a long one) I will easily recoup the cost of the course.

I went straight on the level 2 without doing level 1 and all the assessment involves with level 2 is to fully strip and rebuild a bike (Not your own)

It was well worth the outlay as I have something to fall back on, if I do decide one day to open my own shop and I can make a bit of money on the side by sorting out other peoples bikes. So if anyone in Sheffield wants there bike sorted for cheap then send me a message, I will even pick it up and drop if off for you.

crazy-legs

The problem with a lot of people who see themselves as a "mechanic" is that they've serviced their own bike or fixed up a mates etc and think that they're experts.

CyTech and other courses cover you for a lot more than that – can you fix a knackered 3-speed Sturmey Archer, the plastic brakes on a BSO, the obscure BMX bottom bracket and gyro, set up a Campag 11-sp or an electronic Dura Ace groupset, do you know the H&S/legal implications of fixing a bike or leaving it as it is?

When I started as a mechanic, the general rule was you picked it up as you went along, learnt from the other guys etc but shops now are so scared of litigation that they need to to employ qualified staff (even if, on the face of it, it doesn't seem like much).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the plastic brakes on a BSO, the obscure BMX bottom bracket and gyro

Yep. 🙂 Got plenty H&S training too. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But yes, I can see why qualifications are a good thing to have, hence this thread really. It turns out I don't have that sort of money right now though, saldy. I'd just like to learn more about more types of bike. I enjoy spannering, I find it interesting and oddly relaxing.

I do have a very analytical brain for mechanicel stuff though, and I seem to pick it up virtually instantly. More than once I've taken something apart, worked out what's wrong with it, fixed it and put it back together without any outside assistance of any kind
    I do know cycle mechanics, in the trade, that can't do stuff that I can too. 20 Years + of experience on my own bikes counts for a lot. 🙂

RayMazey
    Free Member

Hi

Interested in this myself (slightly concerned re. liability issues when I fix a guest’s bike plus we might get our own hire bikes in the future).

To be honest, I am sure that having a qualification (in anything) does not take away any negligence / liability issues. If you have qualifications or not, negligence is negligence. Not saying that it is a bad thing to have them, but I feel they are more useful to demonstrate to others that you have attained a certain standard / level of competance.

RenagadeMarmalade
    Free Member

Sorry only just picked this tread up…

First of all I work for ATG Training so I can only give you information on our courses and prices and obviously I totally agree with rootes1 and say that Cytech is the most recognised 😆
    The majority of qualified mechanics in the trade hold the Cytech qualifications; therefore it is the most recognised within the trade. It is also a brand that is recognised overseas as well (Europe, Australia and New Zealand)

It’s really nice to see us and other training providers been discussed positively. There are training providers that deliver both Cytech and C&G but what ATG is good at is securing funding for candidates working in the trade, we also have two training facilities in Manchester and Aylesbury.

ATG may be able to secure funding for candidates that are working 16hrs a week or more in the cycle trade [/b]regardless of their age, but if you are not in the trade there may be other streams of funding you can access. For Example
    If you’re under 19 I would recommend you visit a connexions advisor
    If your thinking of setting a business a Business Link advisor will help you locate any grants in your area that may help towards the cost of training and other set up cost.
    If your 16 – 18 and fancy working in a bike shop then the National Apprenticeship website may have some shops advertising in your area.

You can find more in-depth info on the courses we offer but just as a brief breakdown the cost are as follows;
    Cytech 2 with training £1190 plus vat (without funding) but as others have said if you’re a competent mechanic you can do the assessment route which is £170 plus vat. This is a complete strip down of a bike (non hydraulic braking system) and a full wheelbuild. If you want a bit more detail just let me know and I’ll forward you a detailed list of the assessment criteria

We also offer level 3 courses for more advanced mechanics and Home Mechanic courses for enthusiasts.

And that is officially the longest forum post I have ever done!

walla24
    Free Member

ygm renegade

walleater

My view, as an experienced mechanic is that in order to be a worthwhile employee, you really would need level 3, not level 2. Do you seriously not touch hydraulic disc brakes until level 3? Or oil / seal changes on forks? Those are routine skills needed where I work. What happens if someone come in with a broken piston on a decent brake, do people try and sell the customer a new brake when you can just blast the broken piston out with an air compressor and press in a new one? Sure, you can learn how to set up 11sp Campy, but it’s the same concept as any other gear system unless you are actually installing it. I can’t remember Di2 being that hard either although it’s been a year or so since I’ve played around with that.

It just seems to me that bike shops consider level 2 as being the accepted standard.

ThatNiceMechanicMan
    Free Member

Sean from Cycle Systems here

What’s the difference between us and the Cytech award? We are simply two different brands – we both work to the same Government approved syllabus within the QCF framework (EAL is the awarding body). Except that Cycle Systems Academy is also a City and Guilds approved centre which givs us and our students the option for C and G certification as well if so desired. Cytech is not an awarding body and is not approved by the Government to regulate and accredit an “Industry Standard.”

We also draw down Government funding and are currently cheaper than ATG funded or not. We are sponsored by a huge range of industry companies who believe in us and our graduates. Cytech has, up to now been the only brand in the marketplace. This has now changed which is of benefit to you as consumers as you have a choice who to use.

ThatNiceMechanicMan
    Free Member

Sean from Cycle Systems here

What’s the difference between us and the Cytech award? We are simply two different brands – we both work to the same Government approved syllabus within the QCF framework (EAL is the awarding body). Except that Cycle Systems Academy is also a City and Guilds approved centre which gives us and our students the option for C and G certification as well if so desired. Cytech is not an awarding body and is not approved by the Government to regulate and accredit an “Industry Standard.”

We also draw down Government funding and are currently cheaper than ATG funded or not. We are sponsored by a huge range of industry companies who believe in us and our graduates. Cytech has, up to now been the only brand in the marketplace. This has now changed which is of benefit to you as consumers as you have a choice who to use.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Maintainance Qualifications?’ is closed to new replies.