Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cycle Scheme £1000 Full Susser (or maybe £1,200-1,400)
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Bagged a Specialized Pitch last yea and fancy something a bit more towards XC. Not sure about exactly what but I don’t think I can get Canyons (flavour of the day) or Boardmans on CycleScheme.

I’ve seen a fairly nice looking Cannondale RZ120 at Pauls for £1225
    rz120 linky

Thought about a Giant Trance but think its a bit dull ?!?

Any ideas?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Did you wear out the Pitch when commuting?

TheFopster
    Free Member

Boardman.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I bought my Proflex from Pauls and they are a bit odd on the phone but did get exactly what I wanted really fast. Done through bike to work.

I got the 2010 version of this with Pikes and very nice it is too.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b62s1p2443&tbv=PROFLEX_778_ENDURO_Mountain_Bikes_Full_Suspension

tomaso
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB -Did you wear out the Pitch when commuting?

Oh yeah everyday to work 😉 but mainly rides in the Lakes have lunched all the bearings, brakes, drive train, tyres etc. But its all good and I really enjoy it I just fancy something lighter and racier.

The Fopster – Boardman.

My work will only do Cycle Scheme and they don’t do Halfords, nor do they do Canyon. Cycle Scheme gave me some bull about supporting local bike shops – but I am sure they stiff the shop for 10% discount…

Not gripped by the Proflex 😯

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Slight highjack, but can you say get a bike on cycle scheme that cost £2k ie. Pay the bike shop £1k and put £1k on cycle scheme?

Nick

You’re not supposed to, but allegedly some bike shops might help you out.

tomaso
    Free Member

I made up the difference in the shop on top of the £1,000 voucher when I bought my Pitch. You need a willing bike shop and not all are willing. Leisure Lakes in Lancaster wouldn’t do it, but smaller independents are more likely to play ball .

tomaso
    Free Member

Is that it for the Single Track collective wisdom then?

GHill

Are you aware of the “changes” (or reinterpretation of cyclescheme)? I’m not sure it’s worth doing now.

Harry_the_Spider

If you tried that in our scheme you’d be told to Foxtrot Oscar.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I didn’t realise anyone still bothered with C2W for anything other than, you know, commuting bikes, after the reinterpretation of the regulations last year.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought my Proflex from Pauls

I can’t see any Girvins on that Proflex – what’s going on???

tomaso
    Free Member

Although the regs were reinterpreted by HM Treasurey the reponse from cyclescheme for my C2W bike is to offer an extended hire period for a further 3 years. The charge is the same as the final payment and the extension of the hire agreement means for tax purposes you have not received a taxable benefit. And after 4 years the value assessment by the treasury will be considerably lower – as opposed to their 25% plus VAT assessment of value after the first year’s hire.

allthepies
    Free Member

I love the smell of tax avoidance in the morning…

xcben
    Free Member

The Chris Boardman bikes look like they are really good value for money, the FS Team is a steal at £999.

convert

Although the regs were reinterpreted by HM Treasurey the reponse from cyclescheme for my C2W bike is to offer an extended hire period for a further 3 years. The charge is the same as the final payment and the extension of the hire agreement means for tax purposes you have not received a taxable benefit. And after 4 years the value assessment by the treasury will be considerably lower – as opposed to their 25% plus VAT assessment of value after the first year’s hire.

Given that then, surely your pitch will be your commuting bike for a further 3 years. Why would anyone want more than one commuting bike at one time, so why would one be able to have more than one C2W agreement ongoing at any one time?

You could of course buy your new leisure bike with real money rather than scamming the tax. Or replace the bearings on the pitch and do a bit of maintanence – bikes are not disposable articles.

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks for the guidance on having a conscience. Pure logic is a wonderful thing, so noble. You have to take the opportunites that life gives you. My Pitch is the first new bicycle I’ve had since I was 11 and its been great. It still is great but there is very little of the original machine left bar the frame, grips, saddle, post and stem.

I cycle to work everyday which is more than most folk who get C2W bikes, perhaps I’m not the target market that the govenment policy aims to assist? But the opportunity is there and I will be getting another bike. However, I am leaning towards a new road bike, perhaps a dropped bar with discs and rack mounts.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cycle Scheme £1000 Full Susser (or maybe £1,200-1,400)’ is closed to new replies.