Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Cyclist hit 15 times with hammer by driver…for riding too slow up a hill
  • wwaswas

A cyclist was hit up to 15 times with a hammer in a road rage attack.

Police believe the driver struck because he was irritated the 60-year-old cyclist was taking too long to ride up a hill.

Detective Constable Tony Taylor, said the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, was struggling against the wind preventing the driver from passing.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9242970.Hove_cyclist_beaten_15_times_with_hammer_for_riding_too_slowly/

I don’t swear on here often but for **** sake what is going on in some people’s heads?

Sussex Police web site has the drivers name on it – he’s in his early 20’s, drives a Nova saloon and lives in Worthing.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

the cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet,

Wtf has that got to do with anything? Would the helmet of prevent the road rage attack or helped him not get hurt by the hammer? It might as well of said ‘the cyclist who was not wearing baggies’ !!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What a T**T…

I wonder what he would like like after being hit 15 times with a set of bombers…

wwaswas

The implication is that we should all wear WW2 tin hats whilst cycling in preparation for disgruntled imbeciles from Worthign venting their wrath on us with clawhammer, I think?

foxyrider
    Free Member

DI Taylor described as a “massive over-reaction”.

What – OVER REACTION – to what?

Written buy someone who doesn’t like cyclists and a DI who doesn’t either?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DI Taylor described as a “massive over-reaction”.

Understatement of the day?

Not sure of the use of the word reaction TBH, implies some kind of justufucation!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Damit, beeten by foxy’s Jadi-Nija posting skillz

JAG

I think this is the most shocking thing;

At least four members of the public watched in horror as the cyclist was beaten and hit up to 15 times

These people JUST watched and no-one intervened?? It’s not particularly clear in the article so I may be wrong, but if that’s true then they deserve similar punishment to the attacker!

grum
    Free Member

According to some on here, it’s the fault of people who run red lights. 🙄

robh

Seems DC Taylor also gets a promotion during the article.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If you’re too slow at riding up a hill, you derserve everything you get.

BoardinBob

These people JUST watched and no-one intervened?? It’s not particularly clear in the article so I may be wrong, but if that’s true then they deserve similar punishment to the attacker!

Not everyone’s Jean Claude Van Damme.

A nutter attacking someone with a hammer is sure to put people off intervening for fear of their own safety.

Dissapointing, but not surprising.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m surprised if he had a Nova saloon that he could actually keep up with the cyclist…

Still a shocking thing to happen.

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL @ T.I.N.A.S

I think this is an appalling article written with no insight and a huge lack of compassion towards the cyclist – of course we don’t have all the facts but as above the lack of helmet has absolutely nothing to do with this event!

Harry_the_Spider

Wtf has that got to do with anything?

I think it implies that the poor chap didn’t even have the albeit limited against a hammer blow protection of a helmet when this loon laid into him.

donsimon
    Free Member

Written buy someone who doesn’t like cyclists and a DI who doesn’t either?

+1 starting with the headline.
    +1 the (lack of) helmet comment
    +1 4 bystanders who did nothing, not even calling the police.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think it implies that the poor chap didn’t even have the (limited against a hammer blow) protection of a helmet when this loon laid into him.

I hope that’s the case?

Perhaps we read it the way we want to read it but still seems a very oddly written article to me?

Paceman
    Free Member

:xThat driver deserves a long long painful prison sentence. 😡

grum
    Free Member

I bet he wasn’t even wearing lycra, so not a proper cyclist.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what exactly should i do the next time i see someone* attacking another human being with a hammer?

yes, i’d like to think i could step in, call on the skills of steven seagal, and slap the nutter* down, but here on planet earth we’d just end up with 2 people who’d been hit 30 times with a hammer.

(*clearly a violent nutter, who has a hammer)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

yes, i’d like to think i could step in, call on the skills of steven seagal, and slap the nutter* down, but here on planet earth we’d just end up with 2 people who’d been hit 30 times with a hammer.

Not necessarily, in these situations it normally only takes one person to break lines with the observers for others to also step in and help.

But regardless of that how could you not try and help a 60 year old fella that is being attacked. You might not want to, and yes common sense says that it may well end badly for you both but you can’t just let it slide. Even from a purely selfish perspective how would you feel afterwards knowing that you stood by and did nothing.

wallace1492
    Free Member

**** sake what is going on in some people’s heads?

Obviously not a helmet….

Poor journalism, half a story, hidden agenda’s and Police who fudge about. Welcome to the real world!

ahwiles
    Free Member

how would you feel afterwards…?

terrible! – obviously.

in these situations it normally only takes one person to break lines with the observers for others to also step in and help.

your name is chuck norris, and i claim my five pounds.

alfabus
    Free Member

in other news linked on that site:

Fat woman angry because someone said she is fat

I love local news 🙂

Dave

alpin
    Free Member

i would like to think that i would have tried to stop the nutter…. running at him with my car or removing the wrench from the boot.

cunexttuesuday

oldgit
    Free Member

alfabus I now have half digested sandwich coming out of my nose.

wwaswas

they had comments enabled on that story originally.

it didn’t go well for her, tbh.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

your name is chuck norris, and i claim my five pounds.

Cheap shot.

I don’t think I made it sound like the nutter would be sorted with swift roundhouse to the head. Just that on some occasions regardless of the potential outcome morally there is little option but to intervene.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Sussex Police News

Released on bail!

grahamb
    Free Member

“I think this is an appalling article written with no insight and a huge lack of compassion towards the cyclist”

You’re clearly not a regular reader of the Evening Argus then Foxyrider 😉

I don’t know where they get the “riding slowly up hill” bit from. There are no hills in Worthing town centre. Tennyson Road is dead flat. It runs N-S & the recent strong winds have been westerlies so he wouldn’t have been riding into a headwind.

BoardinBob

in other news linked on that site:

Fat woman angry because someone said she is fat

I love local news

Dave

You’ll love this

http://apiln.blogspot.com/

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Worthing Magistrates Court on Tuesday 20 September

Any of you live near Worthing? A date for the diary. Fill the gallery wearing cycle helmets and carrying Timmy Mallet inflatable hammers.

That will make the local news

user-removed
    Free Member

Although using your car as a weapon is clearly A Very Bad Idea, I’m surprised none of the onlookers did.

I know there’s no way on God’s green Earth I could sit in my car and watch a 20 year old human trying to kill a 60 year old human.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Blimey the Sussex Police write better articles than the News Reporter!!!

warton
    Free Member

from the fat story:

Claire James, who have birth to daughter Ruby four months ago

Staff did nothing I am a member of staff in that Sainsbury’s

but claims senior staffdid nothing to help her

They have scheduled an appointment for a facetoface visit and will attend the store

I think the copywriter needs to pull their finger out

wwaswas

Blimey the Sussex Police write better articles than the News Reporter!!!

the owner of the paper employ a central team in Southampton I think who get feeds of all police/fire/etc for all of their local titles and produce articles largely based on the content of the feeds which are then published as ‘local’ news. Problem is they often don’t read the stories properly or have local knowledge so it ends up a badly written, inaccurate piece of work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

STOP, flashmob time?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

The hilarious thing with dick head drivers is that stopping to confront cyclists (or hit them in the head with the hammer) makes them more late than had they just waitied for an opportunity to pass.

Sundays near me are ridiculous…….god forbid someone should hold up a car on a country road at 11.05 am on a Sunday…a frickin Sunday WTF. What neccessitates tear arsing through country lanes like Colin McRae on a Sunday.

The world is full of selfish people and drivers are getting worse from what I have experienced.

A couple of us got beeped on a country lane at 7.30 pm on a weds night by a Learner driver on a lesson. I do hope she wasn’t told to.

foxyrider
    Free Member

The world is full of selfish people and drivers are getting worse from what I have experienced.

Some are, some are not IME – on the whole most people seem to be more patient but there are people who are worse – one old gimmer overtook me yesterday so close I was surprised he hadn’t hit me with his wing mirror!

Bunnyhop

Last year I was driving behind a learner (not a school).
    There was a cyclist just up front and the learner made no attempt to give any room, in fact he drove past as if the cyclist wasn’t there, missing the handlebars by a centimetre and making the rider wobble.
    I followed this car for ages, wondering how I was going to tell them. I then realised what would happen if a small female (myself) gets beaten up by the 2 males in the car, whilst trying to explain the consequences of being mowed down by someone inexperienced on our roads.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist hit 15 times with hammer by driver…for riding too slow up a hill’ is closed to new replies.