Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cyclo Cross Bike
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

So….

Whilst trying to work out which Full Susser to get, I have a more pressing short term problem, I am after a crosser for my commute to work, a mixture of singletrack, lots of old train line, road and a small amount of mud.

I am looking at this Croix de Fer 2010 at the moment because of the discount, although the day 01 Alfine is intriguing. They are getting a Scott CX Comp in at the end of the month, but I am not sure I can wait that long.

Any other suggestions at around or less than the £1000 mark.

Dom

tinribz
    Free Member

Uncle John, Kaffenback, Crosscheck, Roadrat.

Have you not thought about a 29er, that way you could have flat bars and put big or small tyres on. e.g. Karate Monkey or Singular Swift, or Inbred? What are they like for racks though?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Haven’t thought about 29er really no. I knida liked the idea of drop bars as I think it would be a better position to be in for the faster gravel tracks and road. I do actually find them quite comfy for long distance type stuff.

Just having a look through your suggestions on line now.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Cotic X coming soon.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Having only done an internet peruse, I have to say the complete de fer still is the sexiest of the lot.

I have no idea how the spec compares though in all honesty! Also I am not sure I can be bothered putting the time and effort in hunting around for decent deals for the parts so def going for complete bike.

antigee

been looking at getting a kinesis tripster for that sort of stuff but looks like the croix der fer seems to be the bike of choice

Kona Honky Inc come in near that price but is more road than CX but looks like will cope with more than tarmac

ourmaninthenorth

Kinesis 5T, though you’d need to build it up. Or one of Paul Milnes frames and do the same.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Cube X-Race Comp 2011 Come in at a pound under a grand.

deep_river
    Free Member

kinesis 5T (medium size) for sale with upgraded wheels, £700, only used 7 times! in excellent condition.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

deep_river – What size is medium in cm? Any more details on spec?

nickegg
    Free Member

2011 Genesis Vapour with Mavic Askium wheels here….love it and proving superb* on my 20 mile off/on road every day.

*My view may or not be biased seeing as i sell them 😉

Andy

Winstanleys have a Schwinn for £500 ish in clearance that looks like a bargain. Think they are compact sizes though so you would need to translate to real money sizes

EDIT; like the look of that Cube!!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

That cube is very pretty, looks like it wants to go fast and just keep pushing!!

Nick – I’ll have to avoid the Vapour then… just in case I end up getting a Nicolai… I don’t think it counts as being a bit different if someone else has exactly the same livery in the shed!!!!!! Haha.

That Schwinn just doesn’t do it for me.

nickegg
    Free Member

Good point 😆

MrTall
    Free Member

Focus bikes on Wiggle have a nice few crossers?. All in the £600-£1000 bracket.

nickegg
    Free Member

In all seriousness, the Croix De Fer is heavy for longer commutes and rides in general. If you’re not riding in much mud then i think the advantage of disc brakes is lost. Most we have sold have been fitted with slicks which makes the addition of disc brakes a dodgy mix IMO. They also just look odd too. They’ve proved a popular choice on the various cycleschemes but i think we’ll now sell even more Vapours as they’re under the £1000 limit whilst the Croix De Fer is now £1100.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

yeah, I went in after the one for £850 but it was at a different shop, they showed me the 2011 model and you don’t seem to get anything different for the extra £100 they charge, apart from a slightly thicker mount.

Coming of a 35lb plus mtb though…. wouldn’t a 26lb bike feel a lot lighter? My commute is between 12 and 15 miles each way depending on how much fun I decide to have, do it in about and hour and 15 mins on the mountain bike, got it down to about an hour just with the addition of slicks. But it’s just not right for the commute (or going up hill)

T1000
    Free Member

large roadrat with drops £450?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

ooooh and I could get a 30 day test ride with the focus too…. It’s all very tempting.

Wiggle should stock the cube and de fer so I can compare them for 30 days and then take my pick!

deep_river
    Free Member

Im 5ft 8, and it is on the large side of a good fit. Cant remember the exact frame size, I would look but im away from home till tomorrow, I think its a 51cm.

Upgraded with Aksium wheels, as I said earlier, Its in perfect nick, and ridden only a handfull of times. I’m selling because my circumstances have changed, and I just dont think I will ride it more than a few times a year. I’d make better use of the cash!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

T1000 – is that an offer?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

The cube is cracking value too. It seems that their prices, along with Focus’, have dropped for 2011.

It’ll also match my team’s race-kit, which is proper factory.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I have to admit, the finishing kit on the Cube and Focus far outstrips that on the de fer…

They both look pretty as well… trouble is I have seen the de fer in the flesh and it makes me go all a bit weak at the knees! Is this a heart over head moment!?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Ps am I right in thinking the Ultegra groupset is above the 105 which is in turn above the tiagra?

Mountain bikes I can do. this is fairly new!

rOcKeTdOg

that cube is luvverly

Andy

Ps am I right in thinking the Ultegra groupset is above the 105 which is in turn above the tiagra?

Correct

DrDomRob
    Free Member

and only just over 21lb. Not that weight is important!….

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hmm this is going to need some more thought….

Croix de fer wins out right on looks.

Cube on weight (although to be fair I can’t find a weight for the focus Mares AX)

Finishing kit – If I go to £1099 the focus wins with Ultegra – need to spend another £300 on the cube for the same kit… Although the focus might not be 10 speed Ultegra (would it be 9 speed on a 2011 bike?)

Price, focus top of the range is within reach £1099, I can get last years Croix de fer for £850 and the cube floats on a cloud of lightness in the middle…..

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm…. Something to sleep on me thinks.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

am I right in thinking the Ultegra groupset is above the 105 which is in turn above the tiagra?

Deore = Tiagra
    SLX = 105
    XT = Ultegra
    XTR = Dura-Ace

All 10 speed except for Tiagra (9)

ajf
    Free Member

wouldn’t a 26lb bike feel a lot lighter

OMG as a cross bike that must be a tank?

I am not “up” on cyclocross bikes but mine must be around 20lbs ish? (based on being a bit lighter than my 23lbs hardtail) and there is a lot of weight I could drop without a thought really.

If there is a fair bit of road or you want to change to road tyres, then go for a slightly lighter frame, if its mainly off road then think 29er.

A 26lb cross bike just screams compromise to me

MrTall
    Free Member

If you find a platinum member of Wiggle (ie if they’ve spent over £500 in the last year) you get 12% off. Showing as £968 on my screen!

colnagokid

The Cube was thick end of £1200 last year, 5 of my my mates have them, cracking bikes

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Ajf – it is a cro mo frame so its never going to as light as an alu or carbon one. I can’t decide if the weight actually bothers me or not… i don’t intend to race it or do epic trips on it… thats what the mtb is for.

T1000
    Free Member

DrDom yes details as below

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-roadrat-black-500-large-short-frame-so-has-drops-fitted

Dropped price to £450 (mech is alcera not slx)

finnegan
    Free Member
    skiprat
    Free Member

T1000, pics of Roadrat please to my email

Cheers
    Chris

mafu26
    Free Member

Specialized Crux Elite. Bought one about a week ago and already been on it 4 times. Really solid and stiff. Its £1000 and comes with pretty standard spec compared to other bikes but its got some really nice internal cable routing detail – you can unscrew a cap on the frame to make cable replacement easier and it also runs internally down the bottom side of the down tube and comes out by the bottom bracket. Very neat. Nice and light too.

T1000
    Free Member

Skiprat pic’s sent

kelvin

In all seriousness, the Croix De Fer is heavy for longer commutes and rides in general.

Just to turn a few thoughts upside down, surely it’s for the longer rides that the lightweight harsh alu frames make less sense. Want something more “all-round” then worry less about race weight, and check out the steel options.

ericemel
    Free Member

I have a 2009 Kona Major Jake 56cm up for sale. About 250 road mile on it…as I switched back to my singlespeed.

ericemel at yahoo dot com

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross Bike’ is closed to new replies.