Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dakine Nomad – Anyone use one? What are they like?
  • skiprat
    Free Member

Looking at getting a Dakine Nomad, does anyone use one? Have you had any problems with them that i should be aware of?

Whats the bladder like? any problems there?

Thanks for your help

Skippy

Arcticdan
    Free Member

Had one for a while now, can carry loads in the two main pockets and the added feature of the mesh inner pockets stops things rattling around.

No probs with the bladder and the fact you can disconnect the pipe makes filling/cleaning a doddle.

Only complaints would be masses of strap adjustment, being quite small I tend to end up with masses of spare strap flapping around (easily rectified by rolling up the excess and then taping).

Good bag, loads of room and some cool colour designs.

Ewan
    Free Member

I had one, it was pretty rubbish – bladder leaked and the straps were poor. The back was also very sweaty. This was a 2006 one tho, so it may have improved – I just get camelbaks now…

Artillerydave
    Free Member

Mine was ok, liked the storage and compartments, loads of room for stuff. However I found the bladder to be rubbish the bite valves didn't last 5 mins and were about £9 to replace each time and eventually the main compartment zip went funny and would open itself up when zipped if you know what I mean. Not very good on what was an expensive bag. Mine lasted about 18 months, so would have expected longer than that tbh.

I've got other bags that are 10 years old and still going strong!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I really rate my Apex, it´s HUGE which I need to carry all my guide stuff. Everything works great apart from the fact that the hose is too soft, it´s a lot softer than Camelbak ones, and kinks very easily meaning you can´t get a drink!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I've had a Nomad for 18 months. I've got two Camelbaks as well, and I think the bladder on the Dakine is much better than the Camelbak. However the bite valve can come loose a bit, but it's easily remedied on the go.
    In terms of storage it's great. It's survived numerous stacks unhurt (unlike my ribs, wrist, kidney, spleen…), and actually cushioned my phone during a high speed tree stump/my spine interface as well.

goog
    Free Member

very good

Danno72
    Free Member

I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's been brilliant. Not had one problem.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I've got one.

Am I right in thinking that Dakine only recently started putting licensed Hydrapak bladders in their packs? Might explain why some older ones are rubbish. My current bladder is perfect – no leaks.

I have broken 2 bite valves by falling onto them chest-first though.

Internally they're great – main pouch big enough for a jacket and some sandwiches. Little pockets are handily split up with mesh.

The only complaint is the sculpted air-flow-encouraging back panel. It doesn't. But then, I'm a sweaty bastid…

bob_summers

re. bladders – my 12mth old nomad came with a dakine-branded hydrapak bladder which was poor. the release valve for the hose was impossible to release, and the bitevlave started leaking fairly early on. i replaced the bladder with a newer version, and everything works fine. there's no dakine branding, but it's the same bar a turn-to-close bitevalve.

the rest of the pack is fine. just squeezed a terranova jupiter bivvie and a sleeping bag in it, off out for a 100km overnighter 🙂

kimbers

ive got one its great, not too sweaty and tough, expanadable straps for armour and stuff are great and internally loads of room

the only problem is its got so many handy compartments and pockets i end up carrying far more that i need just coz i like using them all?!

bite valve on mine was terrible, replaced it with a surge one that twists open rather than pulls open and its much better
    just make sure you get one that twists open!

skiprat
    Free Member

Cheers all, does anyone know if the bite valve from a Camelback will fit the hose or are they a different size?

Think i'm going to get one ordered as i need to carry a bit more food and jacket for longer rides.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

The hoses are a different size to camelbak ones – those bite valves don't fit unfortunately (and that is the worst part of an otherwise great pak)

tworide
    Free Member

Owned Dakine Drafter, Apex and now Nomad, Camelbak Mule, Hawg and Rocket

Found the Drafter too small for full day out and Apex too big. Might get a Session for shorter trips. I think Dakine packs make the Camelbaks, Deuters, etc look a bit naff.

Dakine bladders were poor and leaked from hose joint to bladder. Now much improved. Nomad is excellent large pack, very well made and has survived 2 spring, summers and autumns in the alps, torrential thunderstorms, mud etc. Plenty of space for full day out in the mountains.

Wouldn't touch another brand now.

skiprat
    Free Member

Last quick question before i hit the buy it now, does the bladder have a hook on it that you put through a loop on the inside of the bag? If so could i use my Camelback bladder on it?

Andituk
    Free Member

Theres a little plastic clip in the bag you hook the bladder over, no idea if its compatible with a camelback though.

I really like the bag, and the bladder is excellent (very easy to use and to clean, looks easier than camelback, but I've not tried one), but agree that the bite valve is pants.

What valve are people using as a replacement?

Oh and I managed to snap the clip off my bladder after about 2 weeks. That was my own fault though.

Jamie
    Free Member

had one, it was pretty rubbish – bladder leaked and the straps were poor. The back was also very sweaty. This was a 2006 one tho, so it may have improved – I just get camelbaks now…

Alternately, I found the Nomad a revelation after the Mule I had….this was 2007ish tho.

Last quick question before i hit the buy it now, does the bladder have a hook on it that you put through a loop on the inside of the bag? If so could i use my Camelback bladder on it?

The bag has the hook and the bladder has the hole.

kimbers

i use one of these (the surge valve)

to replace the original

though i think the camelbak ones are better than both really

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I've had one for about four years now and it's been OK. Been on umpteen rides and to a few festivals with it. Starting to show its age now. Had to replace the bite valve with a nicky-no-names one from Millets. But the bladder and tube are easy enough to clean, being detachable. Need to make sure you shut the zips all the way down to the bottom corner though, or it works its way loose. Helmet and body armour storage straps worked well on my one trip to the Alps. it was cheap as chips as well – think I got the year before's model from wiggle for about £30.

Hanky

I've had a Dakine Nomad for about 2 months after years of Camelbak use, it's already survived the Alps apart from being a bit muddier.

Can't fault the bag part but CRC have already replaced the Hydrapak bladder which leaked from day one.

Aside from that it's the ideal day pack for longer rides with lots of compartments and carries helmet well.

carlphillips
    Free Member

The hoses are a different size to camelbak ones – those bite valves don't fit unfortunately (and that is the worst part of an otherwise great pak)

i used a camelback one and a tiny bit of ptfe tape…works a treat.
    the bag is the best ive used i wont go back to camelback.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I have a really old one from 2005/6 that is still my only pack. No signs of falling apart yet, it has seen A LOT of action and by that I mean crashes etc.

Original Dakine bladder/bite valve was bobbins though, granted. Lasted about a year. Bought a Deuter Source one and that's been in there ever since.

inkster
    Free Member

Great till it rain. got some Fabsil & waterproofed mine. Also snapped clip off bladder after a month. Could say it was my fault, or could say s*it design. 10/10 in all reviews but not as good all round as a camelbak.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dakine Nomad – Anyone use one? What are they like?’ is closed to new replies.