Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Dalby forest ate my pads in a ride !
  • shredder
    Free Member

Fitted some new sintered genuine Hope pads to my X2's. Rode at Dalby at the weekend which was the second ride on the pads. It was a wet muddy ride with the rotors getting water splash all the time etc. It's quite sandy gritty mud.

Anyway im not an overly heavy breaker but it's eaten my pads alive. So can anyone advise of another make (not that one connected with Octopus) where I can get some good deals etc. And confirm that I am right in thinking "sintered for wet n mud"

Cheers

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Ate my mates Hope std pads as well in half a ride in Dalby on Sunday!

He was cursing the old bloke in the bike shop that had wrongly sold him std pads rather than sintered. Doesnt look like he would have faired much better tho LOL

uplink
    Free Member

I use standard Hopes at Dalby all year round, I can't say I've noticed them wearing down overly quick
    The last set I fitted was in May & I would think I get to Dalby at least once a week + other places

shredder
    Free Member

No not at all I perhaps faired alittle better as i have the thinest sliver of pad left !

Was a cracking ride though.

Kramer
    Free Member

I went through pads on my formula brakes like nobody's business this weekend.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yup, Dalby claimed a pair of mine at the weekend too, stock Shimano ones too

glenh
    Free Member

I'm not going to say it…….

shredder
    Free Member

Dont glenh ….seems a lot of people going through them at Dalby. May have seen some of you guys was riding on Sunday morning on a grey/silver no scrap that impossible to see for mud Orange 5.

So who makes good replacement pads at a good price ? what are ebc pads like ? or any other sggestions.

Cheers

thefallguy
    Free Member

before you buy some octo pads…
    were your brakes bedded in sufficiently?
    are they rubbing at all on the discs?

shredder
    Free Member

No not buying octo pads looking for other suggestions. Pads were free of rotors. But the amount of water splash meant that the rotors were pretty much covered in sandy/gritty water for the bulk of the ride. This of course caused rubbing as the rotors tried to clear before once again getting a good dousing.

As to bedding in the pads they had one pretty clean ride before. With the sharp stopping/pulling up type bedding in procedure

MtbCol
    Free Member

Dalby is notorious for its sandy stuff eating pads.
    Strange thing is, I ride there at least once a week all year round and haven't had to change mine in around 5 months.
    I use Goodridge pads, and if bedded in properly they seem to last an age.

shredder
    Free Member

What compound do you use mtbcol and what bedding in methods ?

Cheers

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Dalby's been eating pads for years, I blame the local single speeders, you know who I mean, Gil,s crew. I heard they put blast furnace slag on the trails as they ride around in the dark on them freaky one gear rigs with rim brakes and ridge forks. Disc brakes and pad wear, bar humbug……

😉

MtbCol
    Free Member

What compound do you use mtbcol and what bedding in methods ?

I always use sintered, and I use the hard stopping method – at speed down a hill and hauling on the brakes hard but not locking up wheels. The aim is to get them hot and then let them cool down so the pads "key" themselves to the rotors. Repeat as necessary until you get great stopping power.

shredder
    Free Member

Who stocks goodridge pads other than CRC Google doesn't seem to throw many places up.

Cheers

MtbCol
    Free Member

I get mine from CRC whenever the need arises.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Dalby forest ate my pads in a ride !’ is closed to new replies.