Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Damaged Frame – Whats it Worth?
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Hi all, time to pick the collective mind.
    I was going to rebuild my Ragley Mmmbop frame back up as a hack/winter beater, but funds and circumstances now dictate otherwise.
    Its an 18″ and about a year old, however when i broke my wrist last year i dented the toptube. I rode it for several months once i was back on the bike and it showed no signs of an issue, and in the words of the now departed head honcho “have you seen the chainstay”. the dent is roughly the size of a £1 to 50p piece and is perfectly smooth, no straight edges and no damage to the paint, tbh i still dont know what did it.
    What i do know though is how the mech hanger broke, that was bouncing off the floor 😕 Which leads me to the next bit of the whats it worth. It currently has no hanger, now do i spend £15 on one to sell it or sell as is (assuming anyone wanted it) would i get that much more selling it with a hanger? Still have the white graphics as well.

Anyway, pictures…

Frame by e1ys1um, on Flickr

General wear and tear…

Stay by e1ys1um, on Flickr

Down by e1ys1um, on Flickr

Top by e1ys1um, on Flickr

The dent…

Dent2 by e1ys1um, on Flickr

Dent1 by e1ys1um, on Flickr

Any idea? Any one want to make a cheeky offer 😉

gears_suck
    Free Member

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I wouldn’t want it. I recommend you take it to the tat yard with a bag of cans and you’ll maybe get a couple of quid. A dented alloy frame is a bit of a liability. If you rode it hard it could possible fold at an inopportune moment and that might prove very painful.

RDL-82
    Free Member

to be fair, i rode it no different to how i’d always rode it and brant seemed fairly confident it’d be fine, ah well, any more opinions before i make a garden ornament or something totally useless out of it 😉

markenduro
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about a dent like that.

RDL-82
    Free Member

wanna buy it then 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Dents?

I’ve put bigger dents in frames by farting.

I’ll give you £50, and that’s because I wouldn’t want to upset your mum.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Just the one dent, two pics at different angles. I couldnt care less about the dent, i carried on riding it as if it wasnt there, just cant afford to do anything with it now and its in the way really.

Tbh if your serious I’d probably take £50, no mech hanger remember. You anywhere near Manchester? Save shipping.

crikey
    Free Member

I am in Manchester!

But £50 is silly, and I don’t really need another frame. Stick it on Ebay, or in the classifieds and get some more for it.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Bloomin typical! How easy would that have been?!

I’ll have to see what they go for and price accordingly then…it’s still yours if you want it though, you can never have too many frames, well apart from me at the minute, and tbh I’m nit bothered about getting more right now, unless it would pain you too much to rob me so 😉

crikey
    Free Member

At least twice that, and maybe more I would think!

I couldn’t, really, it would make me feel bad and then I’d have to hide it…

RDL-82
    Free Member

Haha, ok i’ll stop trying to tempt you then.

Its more of the issue of whether to buy a hanger or not, i guess it would be more attractive with one, but if i got for example £50 without and £65-70ish with, i’m not sure i could be bothered with the extra messing right now.

Bit more looking around i guess, cheers

Gribs

If you’re serious about letting it go at 50 quid then I’ll happily take it off your hands. However if you get a mech hanger you’ll probably get double that on ebay.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

This belongs on the classifieds. But you knew that already…

RDL-82
    Free Member

stuartlangwilson – Member
    This belongs on the classifieds. But you knew that already…

Do I? Pretty certain I asked advice and then had a bit of banter…but then you knew that didn’t you, but in true stw fashion you had to comment 🙄

@Gribs. I’m not totally decided what I’ll do with it, it’ll be in the classifieds when I know.

binners

Put it on and be straight about it. Difficult to do otherwise now really 😀

I bought a very similar dinged Pace alloy frame off the classifieds on here, filled the ding with chemical metal them had it resprayed. I doubt something like that will make any significant difference structurally. It certainly doesn’t bother me when I’m riding. And I’m a right fat, clumsy gimp

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

And now you’ve bumped it for the morning crowd.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Well I would have responded last night but believe it or not, I had bed and work in the morning as opposed to sitting there waiting replies, i can bump it again tonight if it makes you feel better, a little something for you to moan about 😉 or you could just get over yourself

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’ll be fine but the damage will have a huge affect on the price.

It’s worth what you get for it – £50 does not sound ridiculous to me for a damaged frame that was £150 at one point.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

If I had a spare £50 I’d be tempted.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Damaged Frame – Whats it Worth?’ is closed to new replies.