Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Dartmoor riding routes for non-local
  • Shizzletrack
    Free Member

I'm down in Launceston on Thursday for work and was going to book a hotel near Dartmoor so I could get a ride in on the evening before driving back up north the next day. Anyone know any good mountain bike routes or road routes that would last an hour or 2 for someone who doesn't know the area?

crispybacon
    Free Member

If you want a fun MTB ride then the route I would recommend is:

Start from the High Moorland visitors car park at Princetown – SX590734 or PL20 6QF. Go back to the mini roundabout & straight across between the two pubs. The trail takes you uphill through 2 x gates & onto the moor along a very nice & well defined bridleway. Go past South Hessary Tor on your left & just follow the trail which has a number of granite water bars to roll/crash/jump over.

After about a mile at the stone marker in the middle of the trail turn right & follow the trail down the hill, it’s rocky & it has a few water crossings. Keep bearing left after going past the trees when you get to a ‘Y’ junction & take another left a bit further down, this will take you to Nosworthy Bridge.

At Nosworthy bridge go left & follow the road, after about half a mile at the T junction turn left into Sheepstor village. Follow the road until you go across the cattle grid turn left towards Nattor. The tarmac road then goes into a small car park & onto loose gravel past the 'Scout hut' on your right keep going up the trail to Eylesbarrow mine ( nice long climbing bit) then follow the trail over the granite water bars & keep going all the way back to Princetown. Should be about 2 hours depending on your fitness.

Can I recommend that you buy the OS map OL28 which covers Dartmoor, that way if you get lost you should be able to navigate your way to safety.

HTH

Shizzletrack
    Free Member

Wow, that sounds cool. Does anyone road ride at all in the area?

bassspine
    Free Member

there's loads of road riders on the moor, some beasty climbs!

thegerminator
    Free Member

If you can make it to widdon down
    services north of okehampton off
    the a30 for 5.45 on thurs, a group
    of us locals are riding.
    Going to do the trails around castle
    drogo,2hours plus, a hardtail would
    be fine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Dartmoor riding routes for non-local’ is closed to new replies.