Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • David Millar. Is it just me? Or is he a complete……
  • binners

insert your own derogatory term here. ‘Tool’ seems to fit the bill

He’s obviously a talented rider, but I’ve read two interviews in the past week with him and he doesn’t come across well.

slagging off Wiggins and generally moaning. Again.

He seems pathologically incapable of accepting responsibility for his own actions. He was doping. He got caught. Yet he seems to want to blame everyone else apart from himself. He sabotaged his own career, but seems to prefer lobbing accusations at everyone else rather than just accepting that

Or maybe he’s just trying to flog some books

leggyblonde
    Free Member

+1 what a nobber.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Nope, it’s not just you.

mcboo
    Free Member

The guy needs to shut his cake-hole and get on with riding his bike. Slagging of Sky then in the same breath whining that he cant play because he’s a proven cheat. Total loser.

tollah
    Free Member

Cheating tool. End of

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

He’s actually got better, which shows you how bad he was to begin with. When interviewed he just tries to be cool and be somebody he isn’t. Stroker is the word I’d use.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Certainly not a great image he projects here – or an another interview I saw at the weekend…

But he has done the right thing since he was busted – did say in the other interview that he thought cycling was now cleaner than many other sports – and was bigging cycling up in that one.

The bloke is hungover, and journalists are always spinning things and looking for an angle.

Anyway – Landis, Hamilton and now Hincapie implicating LA ?

finbar
    Free Member

Millar doesn’t slag off Sky in that article though, just Wiggins for his lack of leadership abilities. And there was an article in The Times this week or last (can’t remember exactly what day) where Wiggins himself admits he was sorely lacking in that department.

binners

Finbar – I thought that article in the Times came across as a complete hatchet job. Appalling journalism. From a Murdoch paper too. Who’d have thunk it?

mcboo
    Free Member

Millar doesn’t slag off Sky in that article though

read again

Millar, despite his closeness to Brailsford, sums up last year’s derision towards Sky.

“That was the opinion of them in the peloton. They came across as big-headed and disrespectful. They held the rest of us in disdain for our methods and they belittled us. We didn’t like that. But they had a humbling Tour and made a huge realisation that they had to fit in. They also learnt you can’t reinvent the wheel.”

Millar’s criticism is coloured by acute disappointment that he cannot ride for Sky. He could never be offered a contract from a team which makes much of its “zero tolerance” towards doping. “I would have loved [racing for Sky]. It hurts when I see that team staying in the same hotel as me, seeing people I’ve known for years. It’s my world. Those are riders I should be alongside. But I’m banned.”

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I agree with him whole-heartedly. As much as I want to see Wiggins do the business in the Tour, it’s not going to happen. And he is a cock.

I agree completely with his comments about Wiggins as a team leader, and the attitude to Sky amongst the peleton. When a new super-rich team starts poaching riders with ludicrous sums of money, it’s bound to leave a bitter aftertaste – and not in terms of jealousy. We’re talking about riders reneging on contractual agreements to take Sky’s cash. If I was in a team and someone left like that, I’d feel a bit cheated.

I don’t really see him blaming anyone else for his drug-taking in that piece either. On the contrary. However, put yourself in the position of a young, ambitious cyclist, riding for a team run by his childhood heroes.

It would be akin to Kenny Dalglish convincing a young player to dope by telling him “It’s OK, it’s what we used to do. If you want to be as good as I was, that’s what you need to do”. It would be very difficult for an impressionable young man to say no under those circumstances.

I hope Miller has a good tour, and I’m looking forward to reading his book.

mcboo
    Free Member

And Wiggins has talked about how he got it all wrong last year, how he thought he’d got 4th all by himself and got properly found out when he left Garmin and all the guys who’d pulled him over the hills.

Cycling has a lot of extreme characters but you cant say Wiggins (or Cav) havent learned a good amount of self knowledge. Millar is still deluding himself……and I’m a Scot, I ought to cheering for the guy but he’s not easy to respect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Millar’s criticism is coloured by acute disappointment that he cannot ride for Sky. He could never be offered a contract from a team which makes much of its “zero tolerance” towards doping

I cannot wait for their first rider to get caught doping.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve always liked Millar even back then… but now, now he’s a far better rider and a savvy part manager too.. (Garmin/Slipstream)
    I’m part way through his book and it’s a really good book too. Ok so some admissions he partly blames on the culture in cycling back then, but he’s the first to admit it was his decision to dope.
    But now, now he’s a far better rider IMO.. He’s still a cracking TT and poncheur who still goes out there and tries to win.
    As for Wiggo comments, jelousy, simple really, and the whole peleton just rode the bandwaggon and Sky became the team of hate.. Yet now, this year, Sky are doing really well.. apart from EBH whose rather fond of his own bed so it seems.
    Don’t diss Russel Downing, that mans a god.

warton
    Free Member

shibboleth + 1.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Think you’re all reading a bit too much into this.. last week he was commenting on the Lance / Contador doping situations, and now this. He’s got a book out, and wants publicity – simple as that.

I do like watching him ride for the simple reason that he does try and attack, and he comes across as one of the more articulate members of the peleton in his interviews. Shame he doped though.

messiah
    Free Member

Soundbites never air well. I have utmost respect for the two of them doing things most of us can never dream of… come on you brits in Le Tour ❗

finbar
    Free Member

Finbar – I thought that article in the Times came across as a complete hatchet job. Appalling journalism. From a Murdoch paper too. Who’d have thunk it?

❓ My point being, if anyone was guaranteed not to put Wiggins in a bad light it would be The Times. So him admitting in there that his leadership was completely lacking suggests it’s true.

headfirst
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences most of the above posts, but having read that article I have more respect for Millar. He doesn’t hide behind vagueness or platitudes and says it how he see it. Re. Sky, Brailsford himself has said that as a team they were arrogant and dis-respectful to the Tour and the cycling world in general last season, so it’s hardly Millar’s own biased opinion.

Millar served his time, having owned up once caught – a very rare thing, which other cyclist has done that- and has not tested positive since.

winterfold
    Free Member

I think he’s generally alright, but he has a book to sell…

And over the years it has become obvious that when otherwise normal people have a book to sell, then they will behave like complete bell-ends for a few weeks.

Having a moan at Wiggo seems fair enough for him, given his superdomestiquing and part ownership of Slipstream.

But at least Wiggo when he behaves like a cock realises it, and then very publicy and usually amsuingly says ‘Sorry I was behaving like a complete cock ‘ – this is inherently likeable in a way that DM’s never quite accepting his culpability isn’t.

He has also since upgraded his ‘wont get in the Top 10’ asessment of Wiggins to ‘could get in the Top 5’ 🙂

Speshpaul

Not its just you.
    He is widely respected in the sport, has he got history- yes. Did he fess up and take it like a man. Yes. Thats the big difference between him and many others out there.

Is he wrong about wiggo? He is not the 1st to have a pop at him and his leadership, Cav been there.
    I don’t see any slagging if Sky, he has express a widely held view.

If would be fanastic to see wiggo do well this year, probably the uk’s best chance ever of a result.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Did he fess up and take it like a man. Yes.

He only ‘fessed’ up when he was pretty much cornered like a rat. Though I do give him respect for trying to promote a cleaner sport. Though it always slightly strikes me as a bit like a born-again Christian, getting a little too high-and-mighty.

stever
    Free Member

Terrific article. I see a rare honesty, unusual in most sport. How many sportsmen can you trust not to give the PR approved line? He’s a great rider to watch too.

Digger90
    Free Member

Whingeing, spoilt trouble maker.

Drug taker.

Cheat.

Should have been banned for life – as any drug taker should.

headfirst
    Free Member

Stever, you said what I was trying to say, but better!!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Hes only telling the truth tbh

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I just can’t seem to warm to Wiggins, he always comes across as a bit false – trying to create this cool, quirky persona with a blasé attitude to racing etc.

I suspect that is why he struggles to win the respect of his teammates and the rest of the peleton. Natural leaders tend to be genuine, straight-up-and-down kinda guys.

njee20
    Free Member

Though it always slightly strikes me as a bit like a born-again Christian, getting a little too high-and-mighty.

100% this, that’s why I don’t like him, he certainly needs to get off his high horse.

corroded
    Free Member

Millar is an extremely nice guy – candid, thoughtful and interesting (unlike most pro bike riders). He’s come through some self-inflicted trials and tribulations and emerged stronger. I’m always far more interested in his doomed lone breakaways than in whatever Wiggo is doing.

warton
    Free Member

I just can’t seem to warm to Wiggins, he always comes across as a bit false – trying to create this cool, quirky persona with a blasé attitude to racing etc

In last years tour coverage they did a bit of a feature on sky. one morning they were in the bus getting their briefings. most riders were watching intently, studying notes etc. camera turned to Wiggins, slouched in his seat, not even facing the projector screen, ray ban sunglasses on, totally disinterested. what a prat I thought. I still think that today.

soobalias
    Free Member

miller is ok, he has a book to push and the mainstream media want to print something prior to the TDF

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like him but i preferred his dad , robert

stever
    Free Member

So anyway, thanks for the reminder. That’s another copy of the book sold 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

His dislike of Wiggins is fair enough given what happened in 2009’s Tour and how little credit the team got for Wiggins result. I’m intrigued about how he’s going to deal with being a supporter of Armstrong as more and more stuff comes out.

crazy-legs

His book is excellent by the way, well worth a read.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

junkyard thats just stupid, his uncle “windy” was the legend.

BTW David is a bell end of the highest order although a superb cyclist.

tang
    Free Member

A bit obsessed with demanding ‘respect’ for my liking(keeps banging on about it in the guardian interview). Get on with it, stop trying sell your book and cashing in on the doping, ride well and be quiet.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Just for those who were not sure….

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

ever the style icon, has moved on from french resistance to clarke kent/harry potter

from this interview

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/13675045.stm

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Miller has been outspoken (arguably too outspoken) since returning from his ban it is not only now that he has a book to sell.

Unfortunately around and during the Tour is about the only time cycling gets any news coverage in the UK so he is right to plug his book now.

His comments do not appear far off the mark re Wiggins or Sky as similar comes up in other cyclists/cycling journos articles.

I recently read Ned Boulting’s book and he made reference to Wiggins move from Garmin to Sky. He also stated there were 2 riders he could always look for after a stage to get a good honest interview from, David Miller and Robbie McEwen.

Yes he used EPO, he takes responsibility for that, but at least he has not come and pointed the finger at other riders saying they did it as well in order to sell books.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘David Millar. Is it just me? Or is he a complete……’ is closed to new replies.