• This topic has 60 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Dealing with joe public.
  • ton

anyone work on a trade counter?
    got sign’s on the doors saying no public.
    and yet they insist!
    why?

Woody
    Free Member

Cheaper than B+Q?

druidh
    Free Member

Because a lot of counters that have that sign will still deal with the public anyway.

ton

loads cheaper than b n q.

MartynS

genuine Q.. whats the difference? do trade have different money??

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How would you like it if there was a no tradesmen sign on the public library.

transporter13
    Free Member

I’ve never understood why there is this…trade only thing….obviously the prices are without Vat….is that it or is there more to it?

donsimon
    Free Member

do trade have different money??

Err, yes. 🙄
    Why do they do it?
    I think it’s to feel part of a group and get the discount, imagine the conversation in the pub about the inside information they have.
    I used to love the public, give them the chat, let them get the trade discount and smile at how the margin went up. It’s a win/win/win situation. 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

…obviously the prices are without Vat….

Obviously. 🙄

ton

the real pain is the public buying products that they do not know how to fit/use.
    and then bringing them back saying they are faulty, when clearly they are not.

beacause then you end up sending loads of gear back to the suppliers, who when they have tested it, send it back to you wit no fault found.

you then have to sell it at a reduced price because of damaged packaging/used goods.

v8ninety

I don’t think you can blame a bloke for doing his research and going a little off piste to get the best prices for the jobs he needs to do. Saves paying daft B&Queue prices. And who wants to employ a tradesman to do a job you can do yourself? I’ll save my money for the stuff I can’t/not allowed to do, ta.

I used to love the public, give them the chat, let them get the trade discount and smile at how the margin went up. It’s a win/win/win situation.

We aren’t daft (well not all of us) we know this happens. But so long as you are still cheaper than the aforementioned, then like you say, everyone’s a winner.

donsimon
    Free Member

got sign’s on the doors saying no public.
    and yet they insist!
    why?

the real pain is the public buying products that they do not know how to fit/use.
    and then bringing them back saying they are faulty, when clearly they are not.

We aren’t daft

I beg to differ.

transporter13
    Free Member

don…..cheers for the sarcasm…..only said that as it was the only part i knew as being fact..hence the question 😐

I genuinely wanted to know btw

donsimon
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that the trademen pay VAT too petal. I hadn’t realised you were so fragile, sorry. 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think that from a trade counter’s point of view, the general public can end up wasting a load of time for spending a few quid. Also, if I saw that there was a member of the GP in wasting the time of my flooring supplies place, and then paying what I pay, I’d be wondering what the point of my shopping there was.

I do always advise friends that if they know what they want, and aren’t going to ask any stupid questions, then put some scruffy clothes on and go to a trade counter. Most of them happily accept card payments now and as long as you sound like you know what you want, they’ll take your money.

Can understand the OP’s point on this one – it’s up to you who can buy your stuff.

takisawa2

Some years ago I was enquiring about pipe fittings in a local plumbers merchants & a couple of plumbers were earwigging, sniggering etc, likewise the **** on the counter who was clearly “one of the lads”.
    Suffice to say my £10’s worth of business went somewhere else that day, likewise my £1500 order for new boiler, rads etc.

They went bust a year or so later. I think its a dance studio or something now.

donsimon
    Free Member

Suffice to say my £10’s worth of business went somewhere else that day, likewise my £1500 order for new boiler, rads etc.

Why didn’t you go direct to the factory and cut out the middle man completely?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They went bust a year or so later. I think its a dance studio or something now.

Wow. That’s awesome.

tablesalt
    Free Member

lol how to go bust 101. if they have money take it!!!!!

transporter13
    Free Member

Don

not fragile at all bud…just not into being a nob to anybody on here thats all. I speak/treat people with the respect that I appreciate when being spoken to.

anyway back on topic… I was interested as to why there are trade only places and whether the savings to be had were worthwhile…one of them being that the traders didnt pay vat when purchasing the stock.

donsimon
    Free Member

just not into being a nob to anybody on here thats all.

Are you calling me a nob? You ask a question, I give you the answer, I notice you don’t actually believe me, and you call me a nob then expect respect. That’s made my day. 😆

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I think it has more to do with different areas having different zoneing (development)permissions ie Costco,Screwfix and Novatec either have you as a member or require name and address.
    Also consumer law dosnt always apply if you buy buisness to buisness and lets be honest who would you rather deal with ? a numpty asking lots of daft questions and spending buttons or a guy who knows what he wants and is spending real money regulary.

That said I have good service from several trade counters

Dudie
    Free Member

one of them being that the traders didnt pay vat when purchasing the stock

That’s not how it works. A VAT registered trader will pay VAT on the stock he buys. He will also charge VAT on the work he does for a client. He will ‘claim back’ the VAT on his stock, but pay the dear old government the VAT he has charged his client. Net result, he pays the difference in the two VAT levels to the government.

transporter13
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    just not into being a nob to anybody on here thats all.

Are you calling me a nob? You ask a question, I give you the answer, I notice you don’t actually believe me, and you call me a nob then expect respect. That’s made my day.

What i’m saying is….there was no need for the sarcasm….I didnt know so I asked….You actually answered someone else’s post was after I’d asked the question. 🙄

transporter13
    Free Member

Dudie

oh right, didnt know that.

Also didnt know about the consumer laws not applying

cheers

donsimon
    Free Member

What sarcasm, I couldn’t actually believe that you’d asked the question seriously.
    Are you sitting at home rolling your eyes? That would be so cool if you are.

.You actually answered someone else’s post was after I’d asked the question.

You’re trying to confuse me now, aren’t you?

avdave2

How would you like it if there was a no tradesmen sign on the public library.

Can they read? 🙂

project
    Free Member

Well iuse Howdens trade only, and they have a public price list , and a trade price list and more discounts if they like you and you spend a lot, the public price will be say 200 quid, the trade price may be 60%off that price plus vat, so you tell the customer its that much, public price, but i can give you a discount of 20% and they jump at it sometimes, or you can offer more of a discount to get the work.

Where as B and Q, a lot of the timber and other stuff is cheaper if youre old and have a 10%off card for being over 60.

Then there is screwfix, which has dedicated trade only counters for gas and electric and plunmbers,you need trade membership to get those prices.

tablesalt
    Free Member

consumer laws do apply just different ones, buy a 40 grand tractor it comes with a 5 year warranty. dont know about taps though

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the ‘consumer’ bit of consumer law would go. That is a mechanic will buy and fit the brake pads, but not consume/use them. So different laws have to apply.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

The whole trade and public price is a rip off if you look at car parts there is a huge mark up so you are paying the garage for te labour and are being ripped off over car parts too. Its different if you are buying in bulk or a big spender but if you are small builder you are no different to a guy refurbishing a house.

The law reguarding consumer law is a bit unclear you go from being a consumer to a buisness to buisness transaction as contracts come into play and the pricing structure is different. The owner of a car hire company explained to me that he purchased all his cars as a consumer so that he got the warrenty.

project
    Free Member

Mikeypies – Member
    The law reguarding consumer law is a bit unclear you go from being a consumer to a buisness to buisness transaction as contracts come into play and the pricing structure is different. The owner of a car hire company explained to me that he purchased all his cars as a consumer so that he got the warrenty.

Posted 8 minutes ago # Report-Post

Hire comapnuies do this to sell on their cars,, as the general public are more likely to buy a car with one owner , than a hire car with one owner and many bad drivers.

A hire car manager told me that………

donsimon
    Free Member

The whole trade and public price is a rip off if you look at car parts there is a huge mark up so you are paying the garage for te labour and are being ripped off over car parts too. Its different if you are buying in bulk or a big spender but if you are small builder you are no different to a guy refurbishing a house.

I’m not too sure of the point you’re trying to make but even the small builder is probably doing let’s say 10X the number of house refurbs than the guy you mentioned and even then he won’t get as much of a discount as a national housebuilder who will deal direct with either the head office or factory.
    Regarding the rip off prices of car parts, I assume you’ve seen the loss making sales that go on, haven’t you?
    Why on earth should the guy who spends 100GBP on parts every year get the same discount as the smallest garage who will put 500-1.000GBP each and every week through the accounts? If the back street guy is spending that much, it doesn’t take a genius to work out how much more a main dealer is spending.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The better questions is why is it fair to charge different prices for the stuff you stock to different people.
    Think it is just a rip off tbh to deter DIY

donsimon
    Free Member

Buying power Junky and the ability to make profits. I don’t think ‘fair’ comes into business either.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Working on the supply side of the bike industry… I hope some of you remember this thread when you phone me, wasting my time asking stupid questions about the new product you’ve bought and how to fit it, or if you can do your warranty direct rather than through the shop… and I tell you to go and speak to the LBS where you bought it 😆

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Hire comapnuies do this to sell on their cars,, as the general public are more likely to buy a car with one owner , than a hire car with one owner and many bad drivers.

no he does it for the warenty . He sells the cars once finished on the hire fleet at the front of his yard.

I’m not too sure of the point you’re trying to make but even the small builder is probably doing let’s say 10X the number of house refurbs than the guy you mentioned and even then he won’t get as much of a discount as a national housebuilder who will deal direct with either the head office or factory.
    Regarding the rip off prices of car parts, I assume you’ve seen the loss making sales that go on, haven’t you?
    Why on earth should the guy who spends 100GBP on parts every year get the same discount as the smallest garage who will put 500-1.000GBP each and every week through the accounts? If the back street guy is spending that much, it doesn’t take a genius to work out how much more a main dealer is spending.

You are missing the point totally
    discounts for bulk are one thing and is normal. |What is wrong is charging the customer an inflated price ,the so called retail which nobody pays. You can walk into a car factors and get them at the so called trade price the garage is having a laugh.

I was quoted silly money for a flue liner at a trade desk till I said that I could get it for 1/4 the price so he did me a trade deal as at the end of the day cash is king

donsimon
    Free Member

,the so called retail which nobody pays. You can walk into a car factors and get them at the so called trade price the garage is having a laugh.

I used to work for Brown Brothers, I don’t think I’m missing the point at all.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

project
    Free Member

Mikeypies – Member

no he does it for the warenty . He sells the cars once finished on the hire fleet at the front of his yard.

A well known driving school co,mapny used or still does register individuals cars in the drivers name, as opposed to the school car, its a well known ploy, to get more cash for them, and nothing to do with warranty, if it was the car producers would stop it.

Anyone ever tried to buy bike stuff trade from madison or any of the other independant cycle wholesalers, they just say no, or ask to visit your bricks and mortar premesis.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with joe public.’ is closed to new replies.