Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Decisions, decisions.
  • tails
    Free Member

So a job has come up mountain bike guiding and I have to make a decision fast.

Positives –
    Riding a bike
    Meeting people
    Living in a warmer climate.
    I’m bored of my CAD job and have always enjoyed customer service type positions.
    I’ll be pushing myself out of my comfort zone.
    I would enjoy the chance to eventually guide a group.
    Near the home of Pablo Picasso.
    I’d get super fit.

Negatives –
    Am I really fit enough to ride big miles daily, I can run 5km sub 20, but I’m not convince that will help.
    Are my bike skills good enough.
    What if I’m slower than the guests!!
    I’ll be pushing myself out of my comfort zone.
    What if I let this business down and I’m not good enough.
    Low pay, but my current job is never going to get me a mercedes!
    Leaving behind my dad with dementia.

I don’t know!! I don’t feel brave enough how ever stupid that sounds, although I know if I do go it’ll work out. My friends think I’ll be good at it.

Taff
    Free Member

What’s wrong with pushing the comfort zone? I wouldn’t worry about fitness levels. When I went out on Sunday someone was being guided by someone slower than himself and he seemed fine. It’s a popular career change at the moment so you could do with some of the qualities you mentioned above. I would much rather be with a slow but chatty and easy going guide and a fast doosh bag who doesn’t talk

tails
    Free Member

Yes there is nothing wrong with pushing my comfort zone, in fact I really should say yes I just have those nagging doubts. Although I’m glad to hear you would rather ride with a chatty person to team specialized.

RealMan
    Free Member

Am I really fit enough to ride big miles daily, I can run 5km sub 20, but I’m not convince that will help.
    Are my bike skills good enough.

Within a week or two of riding every day all of those problems won’t exist. Knowing the trails, and riding them everyday, you will be fine. There will be people quicker then you, but not by much, and they won’t mind.

What if I let this business down and I’m not good enough.
    Low pay, but my current job is never going to get me a mercedes!
    Leaving behind my dad with dementia.

Then you will get fired? Believe in yourself. You know if you’re good enough or not. And as you’re considering it, I’m better you do know you are good enough. Be confident, and go for it. It could be a dream come true.

Low pay? Why do you do your current job? So you can have enough money to be able to do what you enjoy in your spare time, like everyone else? What if you can do what you enjoy all the time, and get paid for it. I’d be a bike guide for food and shelter, leave the money.

It’s a tough thing, and completely depends on how much he depends on you. Is he in a home? How much does he need you? Are you just using this as an excuse not to take a risk?

Remember, you are much, much, much more likely to bitterly regret not doing this 10, 20, 30 years from now, then you are to regret doing it.

Send us some pics when you get there 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

carpe diem 8)

Oxboy
    Free Member

Wow it’s a biggie but go live the dream! easy for me to say I know but as RealMan says you may live to regret it if you don’t give it a go.
    Good Luck!

RealMan
    Free Member

Forgot to say, whatever you choose to do, good luck.

Trekster

I was faster than a guide on one of my holidays. He kept trying to stay in front and ended up having a few off trail excursions 😆
    He had just arrived for the summer season and I was the only guest around on that day due to transfers and the other guides having a rest day. I really enjoyed the day. We did some recceing and went off route a few times because we had time to kill due to not having 10+ other riders to hold things up.
    If I was 20+yrs younger and in your position I would certainly give it a go.
    If I got made redundant tomorrow I would be asking where the job was 😉 Or applying for the sierracycling one 😀

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Go on. You know you want to 😆

hels
    Free Member

Go for it !

Reading through your lists of doubts, none of them are verfiable facts, just “what ifs”. You won’t know until you try, do your best and learn as much as you can, listen to folk who do this already.

If you don’t have any ties holding you here you should take this chance – promise a trip back every 3 months to see your dad.

Sounds ace – where is the job ?

tails
    Free Member

A follow up. . . . I have decided to go for it, so need to write a polite resignation tonight!!

If anyone has any tips please fire away!!

hels the job is in southern spain near Malaga 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Get a bike that really, really, really works.

Take some sun tan lotion.

Good for you. Very jealous. Have fun.

stumpy01

Do it!

Oh, you did! Good effort!!
    I think if I was in that situation and turned it down, I’d always be asking ‘what if?’.

When i was at uni I got the offer of a work placement for six months in Germnay. I ummmmed & aaaahed. What if this, what if that, my German’s rubbish, I’ll miss my mates……blah blah. Eventually took the dive & it was probably the best 6 months I have ever spent. Great job, great people, plenty of free time, rubbish pay, but that wasn’t even a consideration.

Well done & good luck! 😀

matt_outandabout

Just do it.

tails
    Free Member

Get a bike that really, really, really works.

My bikes a good’un – cotic, revs, hope pro2 on dt rims, thomson, shimano brakes, straitline pedals etc etc

Might need to buy a lot of spares! I’m reasonably nervous but really looking forward to learning how to guide people, hopefully a skill I can use in the future!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Decisions, decisions.’ is closed to new replies.