• This topic has 104 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Do you correct people when they say Zucchini?
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

Oi iDave NO!!!!! that’s so wrong.

iDave
    Free Member

OK, olive oil, plus tahini, garlic, lemon juice…

MrsToast
    Free Member

Surely you’ve had a courgette with olive oil Mrs Toast?

I’m not sure how to take that!

Yeah, I roast courgettes quite often with peppers and onions, didn’t know they had a different name, like some sort of vegetable superhero.

TheFlyingOx

No. I’d consider correcting someone who incorrectly capitalises the name of a vegetable though.

rewski
    Free Member

And I’d consider correcting it if you did

upcreek
    Free Member

I’ve been over here about 8 months and have never heard anyone call it a zucchini.

nicko74

Living in North America, it is rather frustrating, it has to be said. Plus that awful momeny in the supermarket where you’ve forgotten the ridiculous name they give something – you know what you want, you know what it looks like, but you can’t find it and you don’t know how to ask for it…

Eggplant, Zucchini, Cilantro and Arugula. Ridiculous **** names.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have you started saying “O-RIG-ano” instead of “ore-GAN-o” yet? And “Bay-zil” instead of “Basil”? 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

heureusement, personne n’a mentionné la cuillère sale

Pomme de terre, Rodney; pomme de terre…

funkynick

So.. what about scallions then?

😀

nicko74

Have you started saying “O-RIG-ano” instead of “ore-GAN-o” yet? And “Bay-zil” instead of “Basil”?

Had a conversation about this last night actually. I have not, no. Apparently the name BERnard is here pronounced B’nard, too. Bit of a tangent, but uh, there you go.

Kevevs
    Free Member

oh tish! charlotte just spilt some granola in the audi!

donsimon
    Free Member

It took a while, but you’re trying to work out the correct name of calabacín, got it now.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I don’t because up until this point it was a word I’d never ever heard before!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Knob – bulbous protrusion. Nob – member of the nobility

Tsktsk

molgrips
    Free Member

Nicko, I speak American. I actually found it’s just easier sometimes to use the American words, they are so un-used to our words that it can slow conversations down a fair bit 🙂

Bez

TJ, nob is an old slang word for head. Both spellings seem valid for a todger euphemism.

And molgrips +1.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bez – it has that meaning as well. Calling someone a nob – is like saying Toff tho.

Its also the jack in a deck of cards

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nob

simonralli2
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the phrase “fire roads” then?

I used to get phenomenal grief at school for being the only person to say “yoh-gurt” instead of “yog-urt”. I learned to say it both ways in order not to be hassled at home!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I correct people when they type Betswy Y Co-ed. I can’t help myself.

iDave
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the phrase “fire roads” then?

Absolutely nothing TJ. Nothing at all. Fire road. And again, fire road. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fire road is easier to say than forestry road. That’s all.

It’s really NOT worth complaining about.

(Simon, fire road is an American term)

donsimon
    Free Member

I correct people when they type Betswy Y Co-ed. I can’t help myself.

Llandeglla gets me. It sounds ridiculous.

molgrips
    Free Member

I correct people when they say Betws y Coed wrongly. Which is just about everyone from England.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fire road? we don’t have any in the UK. Thats why it is wrong to say it unless you are referring to a route in north america.

Its lazy

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a word that has come to be used for forestry roads.

There’s a precedent, common usage – whether you like it or not.

donsimon
    Free Member

Fire road? we don’t have any in the UK. Thats why it is wrong to say it unless you are referring to a route in north america.

Its lazy
    🙄 As is poor grammar!

iDave
    Free Member

Fire road

spacemonkey

I **** hate people that say ‘toona’ instead of tuna. My ex- used to say this and it really go my goat.

molgrips
    Free Member

So iDave, if I were riding a fire road climb, would the best training for fire roads be riding more fire roads?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am gonna kick your shins iDave.

Molgrips – no excuse – and its only used in a very small subset of the poulation. its not in general use

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s in general use in our small sub section.

And honestly, do you really actually care?

iDave
    Free Member

Faucet

Sidewalk

Fire road

OK, TJ, what term would you like me to use instead of fire road? Can’t be forest road, as they have roads through forests in the USA, but don’t use that term.

donsimon
    Free Member

and its only used in a very small subset of the poulation. its not in general use

And who exactly makes the rules?

molgrips
    Free Member

Forest Access for Road Transport

iDave
    Free Member

Carriageway Under Numerous Trees ?

donsimon
    Free Member

Akimbo- Scandinavian etymology, can’t use that unless it is used by the great unwashed.
    Kindergarten appears to be used instead of nursery.
    Hors d’oeuvres is a far more English word than the more sophisticated “starters”.
    Very limited vocabulary if you won’t allow new words to be introduced.
    Very narrow minded of you TJ.

molgrips
    Free Member

Transport for Wagons And Tractors?

iDave
    Free Member

Agricultural Route Specifically Environmental

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

idave – why not forestry road when thats what it is – or doubletrack? Estate road when thats what it is.

There is no reason why we have to use the same term as the americans. After all we don’t in many other ways.

Molgrips =- it irritates in the same way as seeing words with American spellings

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Do you correct people when they say Zucchini?’ is closed to new replies.