Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Don't think we've done this for a while… X-Box vs PS3
  • billybob
    Free Member

Cos the weather looks pants tomorrow & I have some spare cash – what's the better bet console wise at the moment?

Drac

It's getting tougher, first thing if what do your friends have?

billybob
    Free Member

They are mostly wii'd up, I've got one of those but the single player games are pretty simple boring affairs for the most part.

Black
    Free Member

PS3 without a doubt.

Quieter, Faster, Blu-ray, Built in wireless, Lighter controllers that last longer on batteries.

Oh, and they don't fail all the time….or at least as much.

singlecrack
    Free Member

ps3

theflatboy
    Free Member

ps3's better, everyone knows that. don't be a cheapskate, get a ps3. 🙂

bruneep

my boys have xbox and ps3 of the two the PS3, because what black said also online playing is free with ps3.

tomzo
    Free Member

PS3 here aswell. Free online gaming is the biggest draw for me. Quieter, seemingly more reliable, blue ray, WI FI built in….

mrben100
    Free Member

PS3 for me. All the reasons above.

XBOX more for 'hardcore gamers' IMHO.

CHB

we have both (and a Wii), the PS3 is the console of choice for all the reasons above.

My next gen console will be a PS4. Shan't bother with the xbox 720 or whatever they call it.

Drac

Ok then as others have said look at PS3 for reason they've mentioned, I game a hell of a lot and my 360 gathers dust so no idea what the hardcore gamer comment is about.

spacemonkey

My next gen console will be a PS4. Shan't bother with the xbox 720 or whatever they call it.

Check out Project Natal … you might well change your mind …

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Hardcore game copiers liked XBOX until a few weeks back.

CHB

slw, I agree (though my xbox is not chipped, my wii however….). But given that the PS3 is better and has largely lost the price disadvantage against the Xbox do you not think microsoft have shot themselves in the foot by banning all these users? I know if it were me it would tip me over to the other camp.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I'm on PS3 so the ban hasn't affected me.

IIRC the bulk of the profit is in selling games, not surprised there has been a crack down on copiers. XBOX owners who have only dabbled in pinching software but have paid for the bulk of their games will be pretty angry I would expect.

I regretted getting a PS3 originally as the XBOX had better games, now I think I made the right decision. Wish they would hurry up with the new Gran Turismo, the lure of which is what made me buy the console originally. Toyed with the idea of getting a PSP now it has a new GT game.

theflatboy
    Free Member

microsoft have shot themselves in the foot by banning all these users? I know if it were me it would tip me over to the other camp.

i imagine a lot of it was to do with developer/publisher pressure.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

The PS3 is a fantastic console, but a guy I know who works for Eurocomm in Derby informs me its bloody awful to develop on. The 360 has oodles of development tools utilising NET compared to Sony's own sloppy compiler.

However, BluRay, a decent browser, and better support for music stored on the hard disk is swinging me to a Slim. But just not yet!

And yes to the poster above, Project Natal looks something very special.

monsta
    Free Member

After much testing we went with an xbox 360 cos we don't use blueray and xbox was cheaper. But the xbox console is so blinking confusing. You cam't just put your game in and play. If one player is logged in and then you load the game and you want to play two player you have to press up and down and left and right five times and press jump four times and switch the consoles off and on a few times, restart the controllers, restart the tv, flick the mains switch a few times, ask the cat, go for a ride, and then finally the second controller logs in and off you go, only to discover that 1-2 players doesn't actually mean split screen but that you can only play against an other player via xbox live and not the person sitting next to you in your lounge. And the xbox is quite noisy too. So now we just get the controllers, aim them at the cats and pretend we're controlling them in a real-world version of cat tekken.

bigrich

get whatevers cheapest. seriously.

the games are the same (mostly, one ore two specific on each).

games developers cant afford not to develop for both when it costs 18 millions to make a tripple A title.

bluray is not such an advantage cos of HD downloads – discs are old news.

also, look at how many second hand games are available in your local shops as this is where you'll buy stuff from.

Drac

If you can be arsed to download 6.5gb and pay £12 for it.

nickname
    Free Member

I just brought myself a xbox today 😀

Pretty much locking myself indoors for the weekend while I battle on modern warfare and issue some beatdowns on UFC :))

bigrich

or 20 quid for a disc in a plastic box?

apparently the biggest thing against digital downloads is people want a physical item rather than the intangible packet of data on harddrive somewhere.

oxnop
    Free Member

I bought a xbox elite 2 weeks ago, with the hdmi the picture is fantastic (way better than the scart I used when I last had an xbox.)

I wanted a ps3, but all my mates have xbox's and the whole point for me of buying a games console was to play games with my mates. I thought I might want the ps3 and was offered a slimline ps3 for cheaper than the elite.

Bought modern warfare yesterday and it's amazing – my gf thinks I'm sad as I'm 25 and playing computer games!

fubar
    Free Member

The cheapest i.e. Xbox doesn't look so good value for money when you are forking out for your 2nd or 3rd years xbox live subscription at £40 a time just for the odd game with your mates.

I prefer Xbox controllers. From my quick look at the PS3 it apeared to spend a lot of time downloading updates (maybe I caught it on a bad day?)…if I had no friends with Xbox I would now buy the PS3.

fubar
    Free Member

my gf thinks I'm sad as I'm 25 and playing computer games!

I'm 38 years old and can't imagine ever not playing 'computer games'…As a child I had one of the early consoles (might have been Coleco Vison ?) then Atari 2600 (Pac Man, Space Invaders, etc), spent lots of my school dinner money in the Arcades, moved onto home computers and now back on consoles. Expect I'll still be playing when picking up my pension.

[edit] just 'realised' that I'm 39…must be all those computer games rotting my brain

momo

Xbox for me, quite a few of my friends have both, but they only play online on xbox.

Drac

or 20 quid for a disc in a plastic box?

£20? Never paid anything like that usually find the for £15 or less even on release and I can have it within a few minutes without eating into my bandwidth.

From my quick look at the PS3 it apeared to spend a lot of time downloading updates

They very good at updating the software which is a good thing, as a bonus the software for Blu-ray is always the latest one so no need to worry about compatibility issues.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Drac – Member

pay? 🙂

Drac

Yup pay, I like my films and happily pay money for them.

tomzo
    Free Member

I would argue that a ps3 works out cheaper….xbox wireless adaptor is £40 or so? and xbox live is £40 a year? So an extra £80 on top of initial price…

MrsToast
    Free Member

I'd say 360 every time, unless you want Blu-ray or Uncharted/Little Big Planet. Although you have to pay for the full Xbox Live service, it's a lot better than PSN – better interface and, most importantly, less issues with lag. You get what you pay for, and I think Sony have realised this as they recently mentioned that they're considering bringing in the subscription model for PSN.

On multi-platform titles, the 360 versions tend to run smoother (less issues with framerate, texture tearing, jaggies, pop-up)and also tend to have shorter load times (unless you do the full installing on the harddrives, then they're pretty similar). Unless it's a PS3 exclusive, the vast majority of devs still use the 360 as their default development platform. And there's some devs that tend to avoid the PS3 like the plague (like Valve, couldn't be doing without me Left 4 Dead!).

The gap in performance is decreasing though, as devs get to grips with the PS3. And, truth be told, a lot of people wouldn't actually know the PS3 versions are inferior unless they had a 360 version running alongside at the same time.

Best to play it safe and get both. It's the only way to be sure!

simon_g

Xbox looks cheaper to start with but the extras (rechargeable batteries for controllers, wireless adaptor, xbox live sub) all add up. If your friends are on xbox live, or there's platform exclusive games (like Forza) that you want to play then that makes the decision though.

PS3 has the bluray player, a very nice interface to BBC iplayer that works brilliantly, plus it's own share of exclusives like Uncharted 2.

Most stuff these days is released on both platforms and you'd only spot any differences in quality comparing screenshots side by side.

Personally – I bought a PS3 a few weeks ago. No ties to friends on xbox (most of my friends who play games do it on the PC), and the bluray/iplayer/streaming side of things was just as important as the gaming.

deserter
    Free Member

we had a 360,noisy piece of poo that kept breaking,got a ps3 and prefer it as a general entertainment unit and as said its quiet which I find very nice,after years of 360/jumbo jet noise

Drac

PSN – better interface and, most importantly, less issues with lag.

Hmm! The interface has had a huge overhaul and never had any lag issues or least any more than the 360.

zaskar
    Free Member

None they are both boring after a while.

Go out and get a life.

What you want is a Tacx turbo trainer hooked to your pc and loads of routes!

😉

Can't wait for the next generation PS4 with virtual racing graphics?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Which PS3 would people suggest that you get.

Original or slim?

Is it right you can't play old PS2 games on the slim version?

Drac

Go out and get a life.

I've got one and part of it involve playing video games.

You can't on the pre-slim model either only the early ones, they dropped it as was pointless as much as anything. Why would you want to play outdated games on a state of the art machine.

ski
    Free Member

Yep, no ps2 games for ps3 slim.

There was a 60gb PS3 that worked with ps2 games, but it was quickly droppped by Sony.

Back to the OP, PS3 gets my vote over the xbox, biggest plus for me was having a decent Bluray player built in.

How long do we have to wait for the new gran turismo though! 😉

legspin
    Free Member

My ps3 has died today it wont read any type of disk. Does anyone know the best way to get this fixed?

Drac

My ps3 has died today it wont read any type of disk. Does anyone know the best way to get this fixed?

Contact Sony it ones of the few faults and they fix for free, backup your saved game data first though as yo don't always get your own machine back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Don't think we've done this for a while… X-Box vs PS3’ is closed to new replies.