Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • E Lothian Half Fat Snow Ride Pictures
  • allankelly

Hi, after a really helpful thread (here: i-want-a-huge-front-wheel-and-i-cant-afford-a-pugsley) I was lucky to get a Nokian Gaz 3″, a front wheel with an Alex DX32 38mm rim and 3″ innertubes all for under £50. Excellent, and it snowed. Excellent, so I went for a ride. Also Excellent! The rear wheel is a Schwalbe Snow Stud BTW. Not Fat.

Thanks to all, it’s hard work ploughing through the snow but great fun to be able to do it =)
    Cheers, al.

Flickr gallery: East Lothian Fat Bike Snow Ride

coastkid
    Free Member

Nice Al, What forks are those?, wanna try an Endomorph?,
    Head along to Binning woods…i just bulldozed 4 laps on the Pugs this morning after work which im going to do daily if i get away early with this weather,its a nice hardpack loop now!

012 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    Also posted this on our East Lothian MTB page on FB…We rode round yest and it was a bit soft but today the snow is powder dry with the frost being in the ground beforehand.
    Full moon nightride tomorrow night! 😮
    Oh heres an East Lothian Full Fat pic from there yesterday :mrgreen:

68268_482689741961_566761961_6468589_7953597_n by coastkid71, on Flickr

RealMan
    Free Member

Single brake mincing in the snow? Looks like fun.

allankelly

Hey Bruce, I would have joined you yesterday but I had the kids. Those are 26″ Pace RC31 forks, there’s still a finger’s clearance both sides so there’s some chance I’d get an Endomorph in there. Probably not though according to epicyclo’s measurements. Worth a try anyway. I’ll get out with you guys one of these days (week after New Year I’m childless) and if I can borrow, that would be fab. I’d buy a Larry rather than an Endo though. And I’ll get Surly or Salsa fat forks some time next year, prob the Surly 100mm ones.

And yeah, single brake. The bargain wheel I bought isn’t disc hub so… But I didn’t miss it. I think I braked once, and that was to take a picture.

Cheers, al.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Allan, can you give me an idea how it rode with the 29er wheel in? I’ve been considering going 69er with my Inbred for a while as I have rigid forks I could use already. Particularly interested how it compares with a 26″ front wheel rigid if you ever rode it that way?

I might just try and get a wheel and experiment I suppose.

Looks great in semi fat mode btw.

allankelly

Hi, that’s a 26″ wheel with 3″ tyre. But up until today I’ve been riding it with a 29er with 2.55″ WTB tyre. It rides great, I’ve ridden it that way for the last year. Glentress, local loops, Puffer Lite (Scottish Veteran Singlespeed champion! Niche niche niche =).

The ‘suspension adjusted’ RC31 26″ fork is ideal – the On-One fork or others would be the same. It has plenty of room for a 29er wheel without being too tall. I had a 29er carbon fork my Singular which was quite a bit taller.

Cheers, al.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Yeah I saw it in 29er guise in your linked thread

I was guessing a 440mm 26″ fork would do

I can’t decide between that, a 26″ 2.6 Ardent or something up front, or just leaving the suspension on the front as it is now

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘E Lothian Half Fat Snow Ride Pictures’ is closed to new replies.