Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Frame crack – ebay dispute advice
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

The other day I bought a second hand cannondale rush on ebay, it was advertised as used and with the inevitable cosmetic wear and tear – which is fine. However the seller also said there were no cracks.

Now the frame has turned up I've found this:

If I run a fingernail over the area I can clearly feel a crack in the laquer.

I've emailed the seller and I'm waiting for a response, however should I be concerned about this? Obviously any kind of crack in a carbon frame is a concern, however is it likely to be serious or cosmetic?

Any advice appreciated.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks like a scratch? Odd place to crack.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can clearly feel a crack in the laquer.

From that pic, that's all I think it is, to be fair. 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Looks like a scratch to me, rather than a crack.

sslowpace
    Free Member

T-cut will take it out. Use clear nail varnish to fill if needed.

Mt carbon Anthem has them from use. Nowt to worry about

thomthumb
    Free Member

doesn't look like a crack. hard to tell from a photo however.

get a second opinion (in person) if you are unsure.

sv

X-ray to be sure 😉

ChrisS
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure it's some kind of crack in that it doesn't clean off and I can feel it with my finger nail, I guess I'm just curious as to whether it warrants an ebay dispute or whether it's just the kind of wear and tear to expect on a 12 month old carbon frame?

ChrisS
    Free Member

If only I had portable x-ray equipment to hand 🙄

zangolin
    Free Member

As slowpace says.
    T-Cut should clean it up + reveal the truth – does look like a strange place for a crack – but stranger things etc.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Fair enough… I'll give it a go and see what it looks like. Thanks.

hooja
    Free Member

if it is cracked, good luck getting it resolved. I bought a kona dr dew (in mint condition, supposedly) turned up with two cracks in the weld around the head tube and a stuffed front mech. ebay did NOTHING! and the guy who sold it me dissapeard and even sold his phone, so when i eventually got through it was someone who had just bought the phone from free ads. I just have to comfort myself that Karma will make the seller die alone of syphilis!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I doubt it is a crak in the frame – more a crack in the paint no?

geetee1972
    Free Member

It does look like a scratch, but if it is a crack in the paint it could be indicative of where the tube has been buckled/stressed even if only slightly.

It's hard to see but it looks like it is on the top tube, just infront of the top of the seat tube, i.e. infront of the seat collar. If that is where it is, then it could well be a result of running too much post out and putting a greater load on the top tube/seat tube juncture.

Wait to hear from the seller and see what they say but I'd be wary of letting it go.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

its unliely to be cracked there, pleanty of scratches and chips on my frame that are far worse. but get a second opinion in person.

nuke

Personally I wouldn't have given that a second look. Just looks like a scratch to the lacquer to me. You should see the lacquer on my carbon seatpost…well, you can't really as there is barely any left 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Scratch.

cynic-al
    Free Member

V speculative there GT, any crack would be central, any buckling would be visible…IMO 😛

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cynic-al in user name contravention scandal!

You're probably right Cynic, on reflection.

monkeyp

I see little reason to think that is a crack. It's shape, and position doesn't really make sense.

I do know that some carbon frames can exhibit cracks in the lacquer due to the paint/lacquer layer having a different stiffness to the carbon layer and the way that carbon frames' stiffness is tailored for specific regions. I have seen this on a friends Carbon Rush, although this is more of a 'crazing' effect rather than an idividual line.

However, I would still be tempted to get it checked out if you want to be 100% certain. If you decided to keep the frame, and wanted to monitor it, just mark the ends with a permanent marker.

Or send it back if you'd rather not risk it.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Seller is being quite helpful, so I'm not going to have to rely on syphilis! Says he doesn't think it's a crack so didn't mention it. I'm going to clean it up and see what it looks like, in all likelihood it will turn out to be superficial.

I_Ache
    Free Member

TBH if it was me I probably wouldn't have even noticed it and I'm sure you would scratch it worse with just one proper off.

This carbon stuff is stronger than people think it is.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

YOU WILL DIE IF YOU RIDE THAT BIKE WITH A DEATH-BRINGING CRACK LIKE THAT

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I think it is a scratch from the pic.
    Get a magnifying glass and have a close look at area.
    Can you see fibres? No = scratch.
    if yes, are the fibres cut, frayed or damaged? if yes a very deep sctach or crack.
    x ray or ultra sound be the best way to know for sure. maybe find a local NDT company if you really need to know.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

ChrisS – I wouldn't worry about it too much. I discovered what appeared to be a crack in one of my Zaskar Carbons.

I rang a company called Carbon Frame Repairs (01530 451664) and they told me that, 99% of the time, "cracks" appear because the carbon flexes (naturally), and the laquer/paint does not. This is especially true with frames that have aluminium lugs at the end of the carbon tubes, and people will quite often notice a hairline, dead straight crack in the paint, and think it's a crack in the frame itself. The guy I spoke to couldn't understand why bike companies spray/lacquer over an area of the frame that is more subject to stress/flex (as in my case), as it just leads to an increase in warrantly claims when, in fact, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the frame.

I did exactly what monkeyp above has suggested (and what the guy at the carbon frame repairers said), and I marked each end of the crack with a marker. It hasn't spread. In my case the "crack" was in a relatively high-stress area (where the seatstay meets the dropout) and it hasn't budged. I'm 100% confident that it's the paint and not the frame.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive had very similar looking marks on a frame in the past and it was just a paint crack/scratch. really dont think youve got anything to worry about there mate

ChrisS
    Free Member

Thanks!

ChrisS
    Free Member

Also just noticed this on the down tube:

Can't work out whether the underlying carbon is damaged or not 🙁

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

First one just looks like a crack in the paint. Second is a nice scrape, but nowt serious.

Jamie
    Free Member

The moral of the tale? Don't buy carbon frames off ebay if your a bit fussy 😉

ChrisS
    Free Member

LOL.

neninja
    Free Member

Tap the area of both with a coin – it it rings true then probably fine, if it sounds dull/dead then it might be worth further investigation.

Personally I'd just touch them up with some nail lacquer and enjoy riding it

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

The second photo looks much worst than the first one how come you didn't see and ask about that one first?
    Both look like paint / laquer damage to me

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

that second pic doesntlook good. was it not mentioned in the sale?

Daffy

My Mojo has damage like that – i'm not at all fussed.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Well it's kind of reached a stalemate with the original seller (waves in case he's reading). His description was:

This bike is over 12 months and shows signs of general use i.e cable wear, small scratches and chips. However there is no serious damage, cracks, deep scratches etc.

None of his photos showed either of these two areas of the frame.

So my motivation for posting this thread was to get some second opinions as to whether either of these two marks were serious enough to worry about and therefore whether or not they were contrary to his original description.

The seller is sticking to his guns and refuses to admit there was anything incorrect in his advert. So now I'm stuck 🙁

BigJohn

You're not stuck. You've got a great bike that isn't going to break.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i think he's out of order there mate, that second pic definately should have been shown. send it back to him recorded delivery and open up a paypal dispute.

i'd be seriously pi55ed off, may not be that deep or owt but it definately should have been shown

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Personally I don't think either of them are anything to worry about.

Stick a bit of resin or nail lacquer in the mark on the downtube and it'll be fine.

*EDIT – I agree with the comment above though. The damage should really have been shown when it was listed. Perhaps you should send him a few good, detailed pics of it and request a few quid back. I don't think you need to go down the full refund route.

hora
    Free Member

None of his photos showed either of these two areas of the frame.

Thats the crux for me. Same when I bought a set of forks off of here. ALOT of photos but strangely none on where the scratches on the stanchions were.

Daffy- thats an accident you had and know how/the details of how it happened. That downtube scrape is MAJOR. NO **** way would I accept that as
    "small scratches and chips."

"However there is no serious damage, cracks, deep scratches etc."

So what would you describe that on the downtube? I'd describe it as 'there is a section of carbon/coating missing with various small damage around it- in the pics you can see this'.

Open a paypal dispute unless you bought outside of Ebay/not at auction end?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Frame crack – ebay dispute advice’ is closed to new replies.