• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Edinburgh bikes & Evans- Complete contempt for customers?
  • hora
    Free Member

Edinburgh bikes- noticed a few times now new stickers over the top of ‘older prices/labels’, same with Evans.

I’ve even gotten to the till a few times to be told ‘sorry mate its now actually 50% more and that price is now wrong’.

Previous was singletrack shorts (+£20 at the till).

Bought the wrong Deore qr- yeah cheers Edinburgh bikes last week for insiting it was the right one, £9.99 on the sticker, at the till £15. At the trailhead it turned out to be just abit too short (probably a road qr?).

Today, all of the Clarke gear cables at Evans have £2.99 blanked over and replaced with £5.99.

Now you have to pay for your over-extending/expansion plans (they will go wrong you know) however a 100% price increase rankles.

So – stock bought pre-price increase is now restickered so you can enjoy maximum margin and yes we all know its a free market economy but seriously, do you think all your customers will keep coming back when you simply raise the pricing on EVERYTHING? Do you pay your staff 100% more (now I know I’m being niave there)

Relying on churn/cycle to work scheme wont last forever you know.

project
    Free Member

For some strange reason i always thought it was illegal to re sticker existing stock to higher price.

You could demand to to pay the lower price,and see what happens.

steveh

Nope. The shop is quite within it’s rights to refuse to sell you the item for the lower price. Some shops do honour the prices as a good will gesture.

Tom83

You can change the price to whatever you want to sell it at. No law against that. You can’t however mislead people with the prices making out that somethings reduced when it isn’t.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Could be considered to be an offence of a misleading price indication under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

Odd mistakes are acceptable but a consistent pattern/practice of misleading pricing by a trader is a criminal offence.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with changing the price of something but if it was stickered up and then charged more i’d refuse to pay the extra

13thfloormonk

Deore is an MTB groupo, they don’t do road QRs in deore, and for what its worth, I think shimano road QRs are the same length anyway. If it were a front QR it would be WAY to short, so there’s something else going on, but don’t blame the shop for that one!

Those mark ups sound daft though, sure you’re remembering them correctly? Likewise, till price and label price not matching happens occasionally, how many times has it actually happened to you?

I’m not saying its necessarily ‘right’, but re-pricing everything in line with VAT etc is sometimes the most practical way, suppliers probably do the same, and its often hard to track exactly when an item of stock was purchased.

Keep in mind, when 15% VAT was implemented, they did exactly the same thing but lowering prices, so its a two way street.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A price tag is an invitation to make an offer (treat), not a legally binding contract. The retailer is under no obligation to sell that item at any price, let alone the one marked on the tag. You only agree the cost with the shop when the time comes to exchange the (contract) money.

hora
    Free Member

Old qr it didn’t have enough thread- circa 5mm too short. Check evans for yourself. Clarkes there is now 100% more. Look and you can see the old/same sizes labels below the newly applied ones.

In london today I noticed a few new large evans- how can they sustain this growth in high rent areas?

druidh
    Free Member

You know Hora – yours must be an absolutely sad life. It seems that every day you are faced with another disappointment, you’ve either been ripped off, lied to or defrauded.

druidh
    Free Member

A number of Shimano Rear QRs come in two lengths – 168mm and 173mm

hora
    Free Member

Old qr it didn’t have enough thread- circa 5mm too short. Check evans for yourself. Clarkes there is now 100% more. Look and you can see the old/same sizes labels below the newly applied ones.

In london today I noticed a few new large evans- how can they sustain this growth in high rent areas?

kimbers

im not a massive fan of evans myself have had poor service before, however at the chelsea one yesterday they complimented me on my bike and asked me loads of questions about it so my ego has been suitably massaged

price wise they are often way to high

however this is good till sunday….
    http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/voucher-codes-and-promotions

hora
    Free Member

Same with snow an rocks cycle surgery on a mental expansion- it won’t last. There are always more staff in the manchester store than customers

warton
    Free Member

Hora, Evans grows because they aren’t bothered about selling to people like us. They sell to new and casual cyclists. Cycling is on the increase, cycle 2 work scheme sir? Quick grand in the pocket, easy peasy

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Warton has hit the nail on the head. Evans and places of it’s ilk are aimed as the recreational/novice rider. Last time I went into Evans (chill factore) the senior sales person was waffling about xtr, when I started referred to different parts by the model (ie M970, M972 etc) he just looked at me blankly until I explained was the letter and number denoted.

Just to clarify I wasn’t being an arse. I was just trying to be clear about the specific parts he and I were talking about.

clowner
    Free Member

Due to the evans price match I’ve always found them to be the cheapest.

Also handy to pop in rather than wait for delivery

warton
    Free Member

As an example my father in law does a bit of biking, nothing serious. If he has a puncture it’s straight to evans for a 15 quid innertube change, and he’s a civil engineer. People like that far outweigh people like us

warton
    Free Member

As an example my father in law does a bit of biking, nothing serious. If he has a puncture it’s straight to evans for a 15 quid innertube change, and he’s a civil engineer. People like that far outweigh people like us

13thfloormonk

😳 Ahem, I didn’t know that Druidh, where can I put my face etc…

hora
    Free Member

Ashima rotor £29.99 – big red sign stapled to it ‘50%’ off. Packaging dog-chewn.

Take it to the till ‘sorry its actually 20% off’.

Thanks again Edinburgh bikes.

Pook

LBS Mark. That’s all I can say.

We’ve a good one here in Sheffield.

hora
    Free Member

There are no ‘local’ shops in a city though they are all circa 3miles+ away.

Kit
    Free Member

For all your **** moaning hora, and apparent expertise on commercial enterprise, why don’t you put your money where your whinging mouth is and set up your own bike shop? I’m sure you’d keep 100% of your customers 100% of the time, without making any mistakes EVER in the history of your shop being open AND not lose your entire investment in the process.

Go on – I’ll give you a tenner to help you get started, eh?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLLERCOPTERS at kit.

jimmy

+1 for LOLLERCOPTERS

aP
    Free Member

3 miles? That is local.
    Y’all moan a lot f’ra white bwoy hora.

crikey
    Free Member

Everytime I feel that my life is somehow not on track, perhaps not measuring up, maybe a little lacklustre, I read the musings of hora and all is soon well.

hora
    Free Member

Only a tenner? I want a proper business like CRC and Wiggle not a maingy shop 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh bikes & Evans- Complete contempt for customers?’ is closed to new replies.