Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Fanbois – iPad UK prices announced
  • allthepies
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10103059.stm

* 16GB, wifi only - £429 inc vat
    * 32GB, wifi only - £499 inc vat
    * 64GB, wifi only - £599 inc vat
    * 16GB, wifi/3G - £529 inc vat
    * 32GB, wifi/3G - £599 inc vat
    * 64GB, wifi/3G - £699 inc vat

<sucks air through teeth>

robdob
    Free Member

Blimey. I'd love one but that's a bit steep!!

CountZero

Got a new iPhone to upgrade to in a month or so, might look at one once they get to v2.0, with 128Gb.

Jamie
    Free Member

I'm going to buy 8!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

f*** me sideways you can get a couple of higher spec proper computer for those prices!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Great value.

Sent from my iPad.
    😉

porterclough
    Free Member

They're selling like hot cakes in the US so I suppose they can charge what they like. It's annoying that things are more expensive in the UK than the US, but it's not just Apple that does that.

allthepies
    Free Member

As a shareholder in the UK company which designed the graphics processor capability in them PLEASE BUY THEM YOU MUPPETS!

retro83
    Free Member

They're selling like hot cakes in the US so I suppose they can charge what they like. It's annoying that things are more expensive in the UK than the US, but it's not just Apple that does that.

Take off VAT and it's only a few percent, isn't it?

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm not buying one now that you've insulted me. 😥

simon_g

Hardly – the US prices are without local sales tax (buy one in NYC and you'll be adding nearly 9% to the price) and our "sales tax" is much higher at 17.5% but included in the prices.

And in case anyone's not noticed, our currency is tanking. Right now, the UK price of every model of iPod (plus the MacBook Air and Mac Pro) is somewhat less than the base US price plus VAT. Expect some price adjustments soon if this carries on.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh a very shiny new toy with a life expectancy of 12 months, if it fails after then its gonna cost you more than its actually worth.

Yes I'm a stung ex-mac user, logic board failure 22mths after purchase on a MacBookPro: £800.00 to repair and then no warranty on any other components apart from display adapter that could be replaced as its a known fault. oh and the keyboard lettering wore off, oh and the power brick once had to be replaced. Apple will never have any more of my money.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Can I have it then please Nutt? PLEEEEAASEE??????

MrNutt
    Free Member

its still in the bag of anger, remember, I've yet too fix it…

FeeFoo
    Free Member

When I first got a job as a cycle courier I bought a Muddy Fox Courier cos I thought it'd be perfect for the job. It wasn't.

Now I'm an apathetic forty-something with nothing left to contribute to society, the i-Pad sounds tailor-made for me. Is it?

big_scot_nanny

think in all fairness to MrNutt, all devices fail at some point and when you have paid a premium it is all the more galling. Just for balance: 6 year old 17" G4, 5 year old 12" G4 powerbooks and 3 year old macbook for our household, 6 year old 14"iBook and 2 year old macbook air for my mum and dad have never skipped a beat, and still run. and run. and run. Sorry!

And yes, I am fanboy and deeply want an iPad. Played with one today, and oh my lord, it is quite a beautiful thing. You gotta play with one to really feel how amazing it is! bring it on!

Kev

MrNutt
    Free Member

how the **** is that fair?!? it was over £2000.00! do the math, oh and I wonder how much the iPad is with the "Applecare" smugness premium? when I was sat at the "genius bar" some guy got an extended warranty for free as he'd paid the smugness tax. I hate Apple now.

Jamie
    Free Member

….then no warranty on any other components apart from display adapter that could be replaced as its a known fault

My MBP developed the display problem you talk about out of warranty. My local Apple reseller, KRCS, replaced the whole logic board as part of the free repair. Shame your local store could not have wangled it

MrNutt
    Free Member

really? hmmm…

Jamie
    Free Member

Yup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Symptoms
    In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

Shorty121
    Free Member

f*** me sideways you can get a couple of higher spec proper computer for those prices!

Well seen the size of it compared to the size of a decent computer?

MrNutt
    Free Member

ah yes but apparently its not the graphics adapter, its the logic board. The "genius" said that because his "magic little usb black box" couldn't read anything, or display any info, then it *must be* the logic board and not the graphics. hmmmmmmm.

fisha
    Free Member

too expensive … i think there will be other notepad devices out there in the next 12 months which will be cheaper and more flexible / capable.

shermer75
    Free Member

I'm gonna buy two + gaffer tape them together so I can have 128gb. Sweet!!

aviemoron
    Free Member

I'd have one as I rapidly seem to be turning into a fanboy. Shame about flash though……

stu1972
    Free Member

I'll stick with my abacus thanks. Touch screen tablet, what's all that about?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I'll stick with my abacus thanks. Touch screen tablet, what's all that about?

it's for people living in the 21st century.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got an iPhone but can't really see what I'd use an iPad for as I've already got netbooks and laptops. Once there in general circulation I'll be interested to see what people are actually using them for.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Mr Nutt I think you need to try again. Maybe ask for a different 'genius' or member of staff or maybe even the manager, but if you have the fault I think you have, they should replace the logic board for free.

I had it, free logic board replacement.

Mate had it, free logic board replacement.

Something sounds wrong with what you've been told.

Try again. I know it's annoying and you'll have to endure the smugness some more, but it's gotta be worth it?

AmyYoung
    Free Member

MrNutt – You may have been eligible for a full refund on that laptop. You have up to 6 years to claim for something in some circumstances. I would say there is an expectation that a laptop should last more than 2 years and therefore yours was not fit for purpose. Amongst all the blurb on guaranties and stuff there is usually a disclaimer about not affecting your statutory rights which is the 6 year thing. There was an item on Watchdog about it a few years ago about a family who's PC failed after a couple of years (after the warranty) and they got a refund from PC World. Go here and call one of their advisors:
    Consumer Direct

I don't claim to be an expert, just someone who watches Watchdog so I'm sure someone will come along and say this is incorrect!!!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

MrNutt – I see you're in Wiltshire.

Which Apple store you been using?

zaskar
    Free Member

I would like one but not powerful enough to conquer the world at this moment.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

it's for people old men hoping that buying consumer electronics will make it seem like they're really, really living in the 21st century.

Helped you out there 😉

bigG
    Free Member

I've preregistered for one already, can't wait.

I'm still not sure why I particularly want one but I can afford it so why not!

I'll let you know how I get on with it after I pick the beauty up.

G

Talkemada
    Free Member

I'm still not sure why I particularly want one but I can afford it so why not!

I can afford Crack and Heroin, but fortunately possess sufficient self-control not to go out and buy some….

Fletcher
    Free Member

I'll more then likely get one in a couple of months time.

DickBarton

I can't see the benefit of it…it's an iTouch but bigger – to switch it off, do you just shake it and all the pixels disappear like an etcha-sketch? (I'd have said iPhone but the iPad doesn't make calls as far as I can tell – and if it did you'd need a head bigger than Jimmy Hill's to use the ear piece and mouth piece!

I'm just not seeing the hype over it or the need for one…I could afford one but have beeter things to spend my money on…just don't see the need for it.

DrJ

too expensive … i think there will be other notepad devices out there in the next 12 months which will be cheaper and more flexible / capable

Willing to bet that that's not the case. However, I'm sure there will be inferior pieces of junk that the haterz will saddle themselves with while telling themselves and everyone who will listen how they don't want to be "fashion victims".

DickBarton

DrJ – at least you are aware of the truth but choose to ignore it…it's terrible when people don't do the full research into something and just buy it because it's something new..they don't know the full story so go blindly into something. Sounds like you have done your research and have made your choice…nothing wrong with that.

druidh
    Free Member

The thing I don't understand is that suddenly, everyone thinks that Apple invented the Tablet PC, when they've been available for years for anyone that actually needed one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Fanbois – iPad UK prices announced’ is closed to new replies.