Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Fastening a Tesco Torch to my Helmet
  • wombat

What's the best "bodge" way of attaching a Tesco AA torch to my vented bike helmet so it points where I look?

I'd ideally like to do it just using what I've got in my shed so plenty of cable ties and gaffa tape available 8)

Smudger666

Try using gaffa tape and a few cable ties then.

🙂

sorry, i use a piece of Ducktape and renew each time i do it.

falkirk-mark

Met parachute ,tie wrap torch onto chinstrap

thepodge
    Free Member

inner tube round the torch, cable tie that to your helmet.

cant get any simpler than that

wombat

Thanks Smudger, very helpful.. 🙂

Wrongun
    Free Member

I use a velcro strap

cp

i use zip ties and a build of tape to make a spacer/wedge to sort the angle it's pointing at

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

I've bodged the helmet mounting kit off a Dinotte, so not much help to offer except that I use a big red elastic band – thoughtfully left for me by the postman – hooked over the back of the torch and looped through a vent. I can adjust the angle of the beam by putting more loops in the elastic band and increasing the tension.
    It also acts as a bit of a shock absorber and stops it rattling off.

jonb
    Free Member

I used an innertube. I think the pictures still on here under ghetto helmet mount or something. I did it with one piece of innertube.

About 3 inches long with a slice cut out so you get a c shape if you flatten it or two parallel circles joined by a line more 3 dimensionally.

Now I use a lock block by Two fish. Go on Ebay, it'll only cost a few quid.

uplink
    Free Member

I did see one guy with the torch push through one of the vents in his helmet 😯

tang
    Free Member

jonb's works a treat. do you have a link for the block?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have the torch inserted into a bar grip, then 2 velcro loops, one at each end of the torch and just slacken / loosen each one ala two bolt seatposts to raise / lower the beam.

atlaz
    Free Member

Two cable ties worked fine for me at D2D.

stumpy01

I used a bit of innertube that I rolled up. Sat the torch roughly central on it & then secured with a ziptie at the front & back end. Adjusting the tension between the front & back allows you to adjust the angle of the light & the elasticity of the roll of innertube means you can get it all nice & tight.
    Helps if you have re-usable ties (the ones with a small release tab), so you can tinker with angles & tension.

Pook

😀

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Two bits of old innertube is all you need. One bit to rest the torch on to get the angle right and another with a "slot" cut into it to fasten the torch front and back.

Hopeless torch for night riding, BTW. 🙂

sing1etrack

Hopeless torch for night riding, BTW

How is it? With a cheapo 3 year old halogen on the bars and the Tesco torch on the helmet it does the job for me. Perhaps not as good as a £400 quid setup, but certainly not hopeless – I ride all the same stuff at night that I do in the day quite happily (and no, it ain't all fireroads during the day!)

Oh, simple velcro loop holds it at just the right angle for me (Giro Animas)

slugwash
    Free Member

Torch in bar grip and velcro strap arrangement. As demonstrated below after one particularly frosty Dartmoor nightride…

wombat

I've been successfully night riding for the last two winters with just a 5w smart halogen with a lead/acid battery strapped my top tube.

I added a Cateye Neko headlight to my helmet for this years Clic 24. I've just got a Hope Vision 2 and the Tesco torch, all I need to do is attach the torch now.

1st ride out will be tomorrow night, we'll see how I get on.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I use one of the brackets that holds a pump on your frame. Attached to lid with a couple of zip-ties.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Rory says: "Just use a short strap with a buckle."

MartynS

two ex post office 'laccy bands through the helmet vents.. works a treat

Swayndo
    Free Member

I use a Twofish Lockblock with my Fenix L2D on my Met Veleno lid and it's really good.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

Nice blob of blur-tack and a zip tie. Stick the blue-tack on you helmet stick the torch on the blue-tack get the correct angle for the beam and then zip tie it down. The blue-tack works to stop the light bobing around. You can do loads with blue-tack well under rated

soobalias
    Free Member

innertube and cable ties.
    tesco torch

downgrade
    Free Member

Two cable ties, fits nicely on the side of Met Predatore helmet and nearly at the right angle.

Works well along with a light on the bars.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Disagree totally with it being hopeless. For the price they're fantastic. I used to night ride successfully with one on the helmet and some cheapo Smart bar mounts.

+1 for the old grip round them and some velcro straps. Found my old Giro Hex had perfect vents/grooves for one!

liquid1000
    Free Member

I got hold of a bicycle pump mount bracket you bolt on your frame and cable tied it to my helmet, it has a little velcro strap for pump and this works well.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Oh well, we'll have to agree to disagree. With new batteries they are ok for riding uphill, however they have a very poor beam with little in the way of spread or penetration and are hopeless for riding downhill at speed or over technical ground.

I'm terribly sorry to have to express a contrary opinion, but there it is.

soobalias
    Free Member

thats fine stuartie_c, if you want to see every last detail as you mince down the hills thats your perogative.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I think you may be taking things a little too personally SOOB.

I expressed my opinion; no need to resort to personal slurs because it doesn't chime with yours.

It's OK for people to disagree, you know.

😀

will
    Free Member

stuartie_c – Member

It's OK for people to disagree, you know.

No it isn't!

jonb
    Free Member

simples!

Konastoner
    Free Member

I Crossed the pump holder from one of these: –

With a Hope Vision 2 helmet adpater: –

You can see where the bolt sits, it's fully adjustable and there's no vibration / wobble.

epicyclo

Cable ties are good enough. I've done a 24hr solo 'Puffer like this a few years back.

Inbred456
    Free Member

What run times are you guys getting with the tesco torch. Do you use 2x 2500mAh rechargeables? My fenix should get 2.4 hrs at 150 lumens max output. I have a tesco torch and wondered how it would compare.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

yep i use the innertube and cable ties as for brightness some of you must have duff ones cause mine is bright as fu*k and coupled with a fleabay 250 lummen special on the bars its more than enough for me to be able to ride singletrack for a couple of hours on 2500mah rechargables 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Fastening a Tesco Torch to my Helmet’ is closed to new replies.