Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Fatality at Whinlatter today.
  • Jenga
    Free Member

Following on from this thread:-
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whinlatter-grip-issues-warning-tyre-content

I went and rode all three loops at Whinlatter today. My first big mistake was only to go on the hardtail. I know it’s a trail centre, so I should have had my 15” All Mountain rig, but it’s currently being resprayed in camo flou orange. The powder coaters seem to be having a problem and wonder if it could be better dealt with by the local gas pipe repair shop. Where do I get new decals from?

I rushed out and forgot to inflate/deflate my tyres, or to even think about changing them for something more suitable. So, I used a Rampage on the rear and a Nevegal on the front. Both 2.35 and both inflated to 38.45 psi, or thereabouts. Sorry, don’t know the tyre compound, maybe that was the problem.

I soon realised that I should have set off on the Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combo. By the time I came to the road crossing on the blue loop I just knew I should have been using my Fat Alberts. At the crossing I could see that there was almost ¼ mile of tarmac to come. No way my tyres would handle that, so I rang KMB. I was looking for some fast rolling and not too grippy hybrid type tyres. Unfortunately they are out of stock till Monday. It appears that there is a great demand for such tyres for this section, and with half term arriving they cannot meet all requests.

I heard a rumour about this dangerous section. If true, there will soon be a tyre swap point at the blue/road interface. Riders will be able to exchange their tyres for the tarmac stretch to come. Their own tyres will be carried across for them, and they can replace them once the tarmac section ends. I think this could be a really thriving business opportunity for someone.

But, I persevered and soon realised that I had been wrong all along. The perfect tyres would have been my Fire XC pros, apart from the little bit that needed Trailrakers.

By the time I got back to VC after the south loop I was a complete nervous wreck. I sensed every other rider pointing at me and commenting on my tyre choice. There was a beginner’s course in progress, and I was made to feel as if I should have been riding with them on the fire roads. Maybe I should!

Undeterred I pressed on to the north loop, wishing I’d had my Swampthings with me. I came across another rider who was having similar concerns, and he virtually forced me to swap for his Advantages. These were great for the next 25 yards or so, but then I came across a tree root, and couldn’t work out a line of approach that the tyre would like. Would High Rollers have been better? Would Mountain Kings have helped on that tricky bit, just where the sign offering tuition has been placed? The remainder of the ride passed in a blur but the switchbacks near the end cried out for a pair of Small Block 8s.

I realised that somewhere on the ride I must have been fatally afflicted. Using the wrong tyres on a ride like Whinlatter is a mortal sin that no number of Hail Marys can expunge. One very curious phenomenon occurred presumably after I’d passed on to the other place. I noticed that my Rampage/Nevegal combination (Described as “shite”) managed to handle the wet, slippy, smooth, polished slate sections perfectly. Maybe dying with the wrong tyres on is the answer!!

I think I’ve now worked out the ideal tyre choice for Whinlatter, and other trail centres that have rocks, roots, tarmac, fire-road, mud, water or any other unnatural feature that can cause trouble for unwary riders.

What should be used is a pair of UST inner tubes, with Presta cores in Shraeder outers using a Yummyyummy adaptor. Cores must be removable to allow the insertion of 32.18 ml of Carnation Wheel Milk as a help to lower rolling resistance and increase puncture protection.

These should be mounted directly onto the rim of your choice using what Blue Peter would call “double sided sticky tape”, or what roadies of a certain vintage would refer to as “tub tape”. Once you done this (videos on U tube if needed) you will never have to worry about your grip anywhere in the forest again.

psychle
    Free Member

WTF?

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

: )

badnewz
    Free Member

who this?

jam-bo

i'm not reading all that.

summary?

Gary_C

😆

psychle
    Free Member

he's taking the piss out of tyre posers 😆

clareymorris

😆

qwerty
    Free Member

i think that you misunderstand the volume of the mass in the above given scenarios and have not grasped that for a given inertia the pressure will always devoid the air chamber by a factor of 4 thereby increasing the perceived risk of a pich flat by 6.7835% on a trail centre route

tomh
    Free Member

Haha, love this 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Thems alot of words.

emac65
    Free Member

S'pose it sounded funnier in his 'ed 😕

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Mentioning "fatality" in the thread title killed all hope of it ever being humourous for me 😕

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Made me smile. A mate of mine was asked what tyre pressure he was running at CYB….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ridethelakes – Member
    Mentioning "fatality" in the thread title killed all hope of it ever being humourous for me

I agree. Poor taste, not funny.

badnewz
    Free Member

Fatality, well yes to be honest this joke died in about the second sentence anyway.

matt_outandabout

:lol 😆 😆

Drac

Made me smile. A mate of mine was asked what tyre pressure he was running at CYB…

A regular quetsion I've found at trails centres, seems to be the people they attract.

discbrakediva
    Free Member

Not at all 'funny'

PJ266
    Free Member

I wish people on here wouldnt be so derogatory about trial centres.

matt_outandabout

Me too, at least we can slag trail centres off…

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

😆

Drac

They have there place, I enjoy the odd visit but really do find they attract the kind of riders that don't appeal to me.

I once rode with someone at a tail centre who tagged along with us, he changed his tyre pressures before and after every descent. It's funny we lost him so how. 😆

I once rode with someone at a tail centre who tagged along with us, he changed his tyre pressures before and after every descent.

Seriously? I'd have told him to **** off at the top of the first descent.

stoney
    Free Member

😆

Drac

Very serious, it didn't sink in until about the 3rd.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Bad taste and i hope you havent tempted fate……

GaVgAs
    Free Member

iamtheresurrection

Drac – Member

Very serious, it didn't sink in until about the 3rd.

Did you then tell him to **** off?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

😐

Electrogirl
    Free Member

Fatality – bad word choice mate … not a thing to joke about.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Hmmm the fatality thing ruined it for me too. 😕

rOcKeTdOg

very funny, shudda sent that into the mag

FoxyChick
    Free Member

😐

I really hope there isn't a fatal accident at Whinlatter.

TOSSER

Don't give up the day job.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think all like minded people here are in agreement, then? You don't joke about a fatality in a sport with the inherent risks of mountain biking.

rOcKeTdOg

I think all like minded people here are in agreement
    that'll be why they are like minded then? 😐
    it's hardly a druidhbanning offence though

CountZero

Oh dear, serious humour bypass situation here. I thought it was funny, anyway.

The idea was amusing, but let down by the words I'm afraid.

As for the title – jeez, some people just need to lighten up.

AlasdairMc

Young Dave riley – Member
    Made me smile. A mate of mine was asked what tyre pressure he was running at CYB….

The only two answers to that are "softer than on the road" or "harder than when offroad"

Are people honestly that pedantic about their tyre pressures?!?

b1galus
    Free Member

Oh dear, serious humour bypass situation here. I thought it was funny, anyway.

what he said

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Fatality at Whinlatter today.’ is closed to new replies.