Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • FINE, let them live in kennels then…..
  • iDave
    Free Member

Bloody hell, how hard is it to successfully re-home a dog???? Never known a group of people so reluctant to reply to emails and voice messages as the dog rescue community…

I know they love dogs but I thought the idea was to find somewhere else for them to live….

Rant-lite over

carbon337
    Free Member

There is a one near me who seem to keep all the puppies between their click of helpers and only give the old dogs away to new homes. Basically the helpers get first choice.

They still do good work though but your onto nowt if you after a younger dog.

Funny folk in the dog rescue world.

Could be because they’re all volunteers and trying to fit it in between working full time, feeding dogs and cleaning kennels.
    Keep trying.

donsimon
    Free Member

I got this one at about 18mths old from the kennels.

jumping1 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr
    Absolute PITA butI wouldn’t change a thing. I guess I got lucky though as the Staff is not everyone’s first choice. Don’t know why, though! 😆

ronjeremy
    Free Member

+1 for Don Simon, I got a Staffie about 2years ago from a rescue centre, and although wasn’t my first choice, am more than happy with her, (will put photos up later) she is brilliant, non aggressive and great with kids…

..oh and a friend of mine was the manageress of the kennels

loddrik
    Free Member

You should come to Liverpool. It seems 8 out of 10 dogs are Staffs…

iDave
    Free Member

shutter speed slow there don, that creature seems to have eaten your dog?

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

cinnamon_girl

Am I the only one that finds Staffies have zero appeal? Sorry!

iDave
    Free Member

I’m with you CG, and the kennels are full of them.

RDL-82
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

You should come to Liverpool. It seems 8 out of 10 dogs are Staffs…

Same in Manchester when we got Roxy (American Bulldog) there was 27 staffs in – i know i counted – sad really, its all the idiots getting them for the wrong reasons, the girl we dealt with was saying they had already had several people asking after Roxy to breed her, muppets.

Anyways here she is, fantastic dog…

Roxy wants to play chase by e1ys1um, on Flickr

American Bulldog – Johnson Type by e1ys1um, on Flickr

carbon337
    Free Member

I like them – they get a bad press and they are really good with kids.

donsimon
    Free Member

Am I the only one that finds Staffies have zero appeal? Sorry!

No, and don’t apologise. They are a bit of a Marmite dog and I understand. What I don’t like is the way that the scallies take such a quite and passive dog and try to make them aggressive, which gives rise to Loddrick’s comment above. 😥

cinnamon_girl

Gun dogs on the other hand …

donsimon
    Free Member

Dogs with guns.! 😯

Kevevs
    Free Member

that’s a shame. If you can provide a nice home and plenty of grub and exercise, what’s the prob?

C_G I meet strange dogs all the time in my job (don’t ask) staffies are friendly and affectionate, I had the same preconceptions as you. Saying that, I wouldn’t want to meet one having a bad day though.

Grimy
    Free Member

Your not alone CG. Unfortunatly for staffies, they seem to be the dog of choice for your typical low life scally.

cinnamon_girl

I used to work in a boarding kennels and obviously handled all different breeds of dogs.

iDave
    Free Member

Missy Giove’s staffy bit me – tis true

I know the type of dog I’m after and just can’t get anyone in rescue centres to make an effort.

cinnamon_girl

What sort do you want then iDave?

Kevevs
    Free Member

maybe they just like me then. I do attract the wrong sort!
    Keep at them iDave, I reckon you’d make a good dogdad 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess that if you’re looking for a popular dog, you’ll have problems, but keep on looking, when you find what you want it’ll be worth it.
    Another pic before dd comes along.

jumping1 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr
    😀

iDave
    Free Member

Parsons Jack Russell would be the first choice. There no shortage of them, just shortage of kennels who are capable of communication…

sweepy
    Free Member

@donsimon- GIANT DOG!

cinnamon_girl

iDave – presumably there is a JR rescue service? The Kennel Club could point you in the right direction.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Jack russel – the yappiest of the doggy kingdom. They are right little gobby gits.

donsimon
    Free Member

+1 what c_g says, but Jack Russels are probably more aggressive and less predictable than Staffs.

@donsimon- GIANT DOG!

Oh yes! Bigger than my house, but not bigger than an almond!

iDave
    Free Member

Some dogs are yappy, some of those dogs are Jack Russells, but none of the ones I’ve had have been yappy and some loved biking…..

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s what I thought too, my last Staff was impossible to tire out,perfect for taking him out biking, the current one is a asthmatic bag of sh1te who can’t run more than 100m so biking impossible. 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

whats the home situation iDave, i wouldnt expect many rescues to send a jrt to your average 3 bed semi

the majority in rescue will be there for their wild side showing through a bit much, great energetic hunters, and would be best homed with full time care/work. Farm would be ideal.

have to echo the above with some rescues being very cliquey, check out breed specific rescues.

BoardinBob

THERE IS NO DANA, ONLY ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Sue_W
    Free Member

Both my dogs have been ‘rescue’ dogs – the first one followed me home after I offered him a biscuit when I saw him hanging around ouside my local shop – he was probably some kind of long-haired alsation cross and the best dog in the world (I was lucky to have him for another 16 years)

second dog came from a rescue centre who told us a pack of lies (from her age to the fact that she’d been returned several times) in order to get the dog out and get a ‘donation’ off us. She’s a pointer / whippet cross, and was pretty s screwed up for quite a while after we got her – she had a ‘fear – aggresive’ personality, but I guess I believe that if you take a dog on, you make a commitment to stick with them.

If you are looking at taking on a dog from a rescue centre, ask lots of questions and ask to see vet paperwork for vacinations etc, don’t assume that all rescue places as automatically lovely, trustworthy people, although most probably are.

khani
    Free Member

We got a rescue staffie, he is the most soppy thing ever, as above its shame they’ve been tarred with the nasty brush
    Even with a cat hanging off each ear like earings he isn’t nasty and he lets himself get bullied by two poodles
    Ben

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I know the type of dog I’m after and just can’t get anyone in rescue centres to make an effort.

Send me an e-mail, I might be able to help – can’t promise, but I’ll try, and let you know if I can’t help.

Some rescues “close down” about now – the Christmas Puppy thing.

Need to know:

Breed, male/female, what age dog you’d be willing to accept, how far you’d be willing to travel to meet/collect the right dog.

You’d most likely need to have homecheck done, I’ve got a homecheck form somewhere,I’ll mail it to you.

Littleboyluke@aol.com

iDave
    Free Member

Cheers TP, have filled in numerous forms, but will email you and see what can be done. The frustrating thing is that I’m found several dogs but had little response from the rescue people.

YGM

chilli
    Free Member

Staffy rescue dog here too,had her a couple of years,best dog I’ve ever had,she’ll run all day and dead soft.

My ball! by paul winterbottom, on Flickr

Sandwich

Dalmatian welfare are also good with rehomes. The bitches are quite a bit smaller than the dogs. A lot of the welfare people are cliquey e.g. the pointer people wouldn’t consider me because I hadn’t had a pointer before! Despite owning dogs for 20 years they weren’t interested. They can also be run by slightly dotty people whose first loyalty is to dogs and getting them homed with no consideration of the right fit between dog and family.
    It should not be too easy to rehome a rescue though as the dog has all ready had a poor experience.

Kuco

iDave my sister tried to get a rescue dog from one place and gave up they messed her about so much so she went to another place and they couldn’t have been more helpful.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rescue centre in being run by human beings SHOCKA!

br
    Free Member

I’m always wary of Staffs; years ago my folks neighbours had one and there son also.

The sons’ one was a real vicious bugger, whereas theirs was as soft as nowt. Even down to not waking when my brother ‘broke’ (she’d locked her self out) into their house through an upstairs bedroom window, when the dog was asleep on the bed… But even he hated any other dog.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘FINE, let them live in kennels then…..’ is closed to new replies.