Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Frankenbikes… let's see 'em chaps & chappettes! Am I I the only one!?
  • psychle
    Free Member

You know the ones, bikes you put together from spare parts… or concepts you dream up and then source bits for to put together (kinda like grave robbing I guess!). Along with an image, it'd be cool to hear just what you were thinking and whether it was a successful creation!

Here are two of mine to get started:

So this is an Alfine/Hammerschmidt equipped Orange Sub Zero with a Specialized E150 fork… the idea for this started when I scored the frame off eBay, noting the ISCG tabs I decided to try the Hammer out… then I thought, aha, it has adjustable dropouts, so I could also run an Alfine as well! Bonus 🙂 And seeing as the only fork I had to suit was my spare E150, that ended up on the front… tyres are Big Apple street jobbies, all I had available at the time! And the result? Well, in fairness the bike (in it's pictured setup) never saw offroad time, but the street rides I did showed me that it was quite heavy and sluggish, really good shifting though and I'm confident with a bit of fine tuning and what not it would be fine, though in truth kind of an unnecessary setup (hammer + alfine that is). Frame is now running a Pike front and an X9 rear (still with the hammerschmidt) and it rocks my world! 🙂

Picked up the frame for a bargain price on here (due to a repaired crack). It sat around for ages while I contemplated how to build it up… wanted to ideally run it singlespeed, but I don't like tensioners! So when I found the Forward Components EBB I found what I was looking for 🙂 The 69'r bit came about because I've always been intrigued by the whole 'big wheel' thing, so when a Singular 69'r specific fork came up for sale on here, I snaffled that up as well, along with a Phil Woods 29'r wheel. And the result? Well, it's pretty damn good actually, a decent shakedown ride on the weekend showed that it handles fine and is very light over the trail… I just need to get used to riding rigid and toughen up a bit!

Show me what you've got STW! :mrgreen:

psychle
    Free Member

BTW, I'm not showing off here, or soliciting comment on my own builds (though it's always welcome), I genuinely want to see other peoples creations! Come on you mad scientists of STW, wow us all!

But… if it was a flop, post that as well, just as interesting really 🙂

ronjeremy
    Free Member

only posted a couple of days on another thread but any excuse and that

mid 90's spesh frame fully rigid, singlespeed 69er,salsa cro moto front forks, and mary bars with pink lock ons, and she rides soo well

matt_outandabout

Mine is a mongrel that needs not pictures. Blue Trek XL fully rigid mtb frame from around 2005 with one slick and one knobbly, all geared with old skool 1996 STX-RC kit, dodgy colour risers, red crud guard and funny canti mount rear guard.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

That orange is oh so wrong.

I don't really have any frankenbikes – though I do have a bike with twice as many top tubes than is traditionally considered necessary?

psychle
    Free Member

That orange is oh so wrong.

But oh so right, in some ways… will have a pic of it in it's new incarnation shortly, we shall see what the good folk of STW have to say then!

though I do have a bike with twice as many top tubes as is traditionally considered necessary?

then post it… fool… 😉 Is it a custom job? or an off the peg beastie?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Go on then.

Custom, but I got the frame 2nd hand so not custom for me… I want another one with a shorter headtube, but it would be pushing 1.5k – ouch!

bassspine
    Free Member

… the Orange – is that photoshopped? 😛

psychle
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain… So you replaced the un-killable Morphine with the even more un-killable 2MXTB… I trust you do 100ft drops regularly? 😉

psychle
    Free Member

… the Orange – is that photoshopped? 😛

nope…. that beast actually did stalk the world and prey upon the weak… scary huh?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Pfft, I do 100 ft drops on my grannies shopper, the 2mxtb gets pulled out for when I huck out of hot air balloons and shiz like that.*

*No, no I don't need a collection of really, really strong hardtails – but since when was it about need 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

but since when was it about need

amen to that! it's what I tell my wife every day 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

psychle – Member
    but since when was it about need
    amen to that! it's what I tell my wife every day

Does she get what she needs? 😉

psychle
    Free Member

Does she get what she needs? 😉

I suspect it's the only thing that's kept her with me for 10+ years!

bassspine
    Free Member

nope…. that beast actually did stalk the world and prey upon the weak… scary huh?

<evil laughter> hehehehe </EL>

psychle
    Free Member

it goes something more like this in fact:

psychle
    Free Member

boo… I was hoping this'd be a fun thread, bringing all sorts of interesting and thought provoking builds out of their dark closets; I guess this shows that in the main the hivemind of STW is fairly conservative eh? 😉

packer
    Free Member

psychle – How do you find the Hammerschmidt + Alfine setup in comparison to a "normal" 27 speed setup?
    Doesn't it give you a massively wide range or ratios, most of which never get used?

MrSparkle

Can I play?

27" wheeled drop barred geared road tandem converted to 26" wheeled SS mtb deathtrap er device…

psychle
    Free Member

psychle – How do you find the Hammerschmidt + Alfine setup in comparison to a "normal" 27 speed setup? Doesn't it give you a massively wide range of ratios, most of which never get used?

Can't find/recall the math exactly, but the spread was pretty good (quite comparable to a 2×9 setup I think?). The main issue seemed to be drag, it felt pretty heavy to pedal, though I was never sure if this was just the way I had it set up (big tyres & big forks) or an inherant flaw in the idea… I'll probably revisit the idea at some point, but for now I'm very happy with it's more conventional setup (Pikes + X9 rear dereailleur).

MrSparkle… now that's what I'm talking about 🙂 What's going on with that rear brake (I think?) setup?

mrvear
    Free Member

Thats not a deathtrap…….this is a deathtrap.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Those of a nervous disposition, look away now…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

one of 1111's creations…

and another

willard

For God's sake! Warn people before posting photos like that PLEASE!!!

Who the hell decided that two mountain bikes joined together like that was a good idea?

ryan_c

Leggyblonde
    Did that snow contraption actually work?!?

If so i think i need a trip down to shed for a tinker

psychle
    Free Member

If I lived somewhere with a proper winter (Canada etc) I'd have one of these in a heartbeat! 8)

Several kinds of awesomeness, don't you think? 🙂

takisawa2

Still work-in-progress, but building a DIY long-tail conversion for carrying my two boys when they are too big for the trailer. Seating unit designed & will hopefully get around to building eventually.

nigew
    Free Member
    psychle
    Free Member

Takisawa2 – Superb! Love it 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

ryan_c, it did! head angle was pretty steep so it took a bit of practise to get it to carve properly but once we got the hang of it, it flew!
    a proper ice/snow tyre would be better too

tinsy
    Free Member

I gave a mate of mine a perfectly good XC frame and he made this..

richcc
    Free Member

I want to see a Madone with Boxers!

mrvear
    Free Member

nigew you win the Deathtrap tandem competition hands down 😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

on-one 456 69er commuter 🙂

TimP
    Free Member

Finally I get to show off my bike!!

Started off as a standard spec shred, but swapped out the DJ3's for my Revs (it is actually designed as suiting up to 5" forks and rides well with them) and put on some BB7's. Then lost the rear wheel so replaced both wheels and brakes in a fit of anger. Then the winter came so I got some rigid forks as I didn't want the grit to ruin my Revs. Then the grit ruined the Altus gears so I took them off (only the rear ones mind you as I though I might be able to duo speed but the difference in rings is too big)

So I now have a single speed jump bike with XC rigid forks, XC dry tyres, bash + 2 ring and a non matching pair of Inbred wheels. It is good fun to ride though, even though it doesn't look great. It is my commuting/do everything bike so it will probably stay like this for a while as I cant be bothered to change it at the moment. Will hopefully sort out the bash thing and either get 2 speed or go single + chain device so I can swap in 8 speed when I want

AlexSimon

Old Orange Clockwork with xtracycle mod.

AlexSimon

…and horrific stem

zaskar
    Free Member

My commuter is made up of spare bits:

Old mtb frame, 26 inch wheels, SLX, hone cranks and touring road forks.
    Actually goes really well except for the heavy tyres and ladies saddle…

bassspine
    Free Member

I din't build this but I did take the picture as the 'inventor' rode by.

antigee

my fugly
    Trek Easton frame off ebay
    Planet X forks, ex kona 700c wheels/saddle/seatpost/Drop Easton bars/stem/front &rear mech off classifieds
    XT chainset that was spare,
    STI's bought new as thought if it didn't work i'd upgrade my road bike

bish bosh does the job
    blast along Trans Pennine Trail or spin up the local 1 in 5's road hills without getting another hernia/knackering the otherknee

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Frankenbikes… let's see 'em chaps & chappettes! Am I I the only one!?’ is closed to new replies.