Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • FSA Orbit MX
  • br1zz
    Free Member

Still scratching my head about this new headset.

I have been doing some 'research' online and finally found an exploded diagram of this headset. It shows two rubber seals, one outside the lower cartridge, and one above the upper cartridge, under the top alu seal which would account for this part not seating properly onto the top cup (space left designed to be filled by rubber seal ?).

However, I have no such seals. The only rubber part is an 'o' ring inside the top seal where it slips over the steerer tube.

Has anyone got one of these headsets, and if so have you got the seals ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mine has the two rubber seals as you describe, its an excellent haeadset. I got it from merlin cycles years ago.

I once bought an 'orbit mx' from chainreactioncycles, it didnt come with the proper rubber seals but an o ring, and the bearings and cups were different sizes to the proper one. I sent it back. I guess it was an oem one. This is wehat you may have

br1zz
    Free Member

That sounds like exactly what I have !

Got it from CRC too…

How can they sell it as an MX if it's different ?
    Ironically, I chose it purely to get decent seals as this has been a recurring problem with my previous headset.

I have already sent an e-mail to CRC, I'll have to see what comes back – can't say I relish the thought of having to remove the cups and crown race just to send it back !

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm may explain why my MX orbit was crap then as I never go any seals with it ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just to redress the ballance, I got a cane creek S8 (so a good headset?) from Merlin, lasted 2 months and they washed their hands of it as bearings were a consumable item!

pypdjl
    Free Member

Yeah, I had 2 S8's from merlin that lacked seals and stainless bearings!

The orbit MX's that on-one were selling recently were the proper ones.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have the same headset from CRC. I spoke to them and was told that mine wasn't "missing" seals because "our stock are all like that", ha ha ha. From the exploded diagram the missing part number is MS090, if you Google Shop for this, you get UK Bike Store stocking them for 99p. I have ordered a pair, will update the thread if they actually appear.

wwaswas

"I never go any seals with it"

but did it come with a crown race?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes but it was not a split crown race as in the intructions WW

Shandy
    Free Member

Yep, crown race is there, not a split version. It fits together and functions fine, obviously the bearings aren't going to last long with a big gap leaving them open to the elements.

br1zz
    Free Member

So when is an MX not an MX ?

I would accept whatever I got if I took a chance on a £25 headset, but it was advertised as a £50 headset on sale at £25 so you expect £50 quality. Other colours of the same headset are on sale at £40 so there is absolutely no excuse for any of them not having a couple of rubber seals in the box. THe headset is next to useless without the seals as there is a dirty great gap where the rubber is meant to go so it is open to the elements – 'not fit for purpose' springs to mind

I'm still waiting for an answer from CRC, they were very good last time I had an issue but we'll see…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I only bought mine from crc for the replacement bearings really, cos new bearings are about £20 on there own.

As soon as I realised it was different I just filled out a returns form and stuck them back in the post. Didnt bother emailing them or anything.
    Got a refund pretty quickly i think.

The proper ones are really good headsets, my first set of bearings lasted about 2 years and they werent particularly knackered when i replaced them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

It was several years ago and I didn't realise until mine was mashed and gave up on it d.t. the bearings costing around £20 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘FSA Orbit MX’ is closed to new replies.