Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Full sus bikes not made in Taiwan
  • AlexSimon

I don't really have a problem with bikes made in Taiwan/China (I have a few).
    But I respect people who are bucking the trend.

I can only really think of a few
    Turner
    Orange (Do Orange make all their full sus bikes in the UK?)
    Nicolai
    Ventana
    Ellsworth (the carbon frames and one aluminium frame are now made in Taiwan)
    Sinister (make one full suss frame – in canada)
    Intense
    Foes
    Brooklyn Machine Works (I think only one of their hardtails is made in taiwan)
    Trek OCLV models

Some companies who are vague
    Knolly
    Titus (sketchy on this one – I think some are now Taiwan)

Any more for any more?
    I thought there might be more European brands but I'm struggling.

njee20
    Free Member

Titus went Taiwan several years ago.

Trek make some of their OCLV frames in the US. The Top Fuel/Fuel Ex/Remedy 9.9s certainly are, and I think the 9.8s are too.

The Taiwanese made frames are often better quality!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Chumba?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Apollo?

Spud

Titus brought production back to the US. Certainly my Motolite is US made 2008/9 model.

AlexSimon

I'll keep editing the initial post.
    I didn't know about Trek and OCLV – that's interesting, especially as some companies go to taiwan ONLY for their carbon models.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Chumba?

Taiwan.

AlexSimon

ChunkyMTB – I was surprised to learn that Chumba were taiwanese made.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Arent Chumbas something made in someones bowels?

geoffj

I don't really have a problem with bikes made in Taiwan/China

I'm not sure I'd put Taiwan and China together.

In my limited understanding of the industry, Taiwan has innovated and developed some of the best bike manufacturing facilities and processes in the world.

China copies what sells.

retro83
    Free Member

Orange aren't made in the UK are they?

infidel
    Free Member

moots
    misfit psycles – EDIT sorry HT only!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Devinci

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba frames are mainly made in Taiwan, though custom stuff is made in the US factory by Ted Tanouye, the original Chumba owner/founder. Ted reckons the Taiwanese work is among the best in the world.

funkynick

Cove? Don't they make some of their bikes in Canada/US?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Alan from Chumba is the new Tony Ellsworth.

AlexSimon

Just looking up Devinci – their prices seem to reasonable to be Canada made, but they seem to be. hopefully it doesn't just mean assembled!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nope made in Canada, they used to make the evil imperial hardtails too.

AlexSimon

hmmm – looks like I can't edit the original post any more (three strikes and I'm out).

Moots – I didn't realise they did more than softtails – shame on me!
    Cove – The Shocker, STD, Hustler, Hooker, Foreplay, G-spot and Stiffee are all welded in Canada!

I know some companies get the frames cut and tacked in Taiwan just to weld them in the US – so that they can say that, but it's very hard to get info on that.

ibis
    Free Member

Seems funny that some of the brands mentioned have a really high sticker price.
    I wonder what the true factory gate prices are???

AlexSimon

Devinci (vague on models – a few sources claim it's only some but all the full suss bikes I clicked on said (made in Canada)

si-wilson
    Free Member

I wonder what the true factory gate prices are???

Not as low as you would think. I think one of the main reasons behind using Taiwanese factories is the expertise the Taiwanese now have with all sorts of tube manipulation and welding, no where else comes close to being able to offer the manufactures what they want/need.

I could be wrong, but i would say most non Taiwanese made frames have a distinct lack of hydroformed type tubes (for good or bad) and tend to stick with off the shelf type tube sets such as Easton etc.

andylux
    Free Member

Made in South Africa.

AlexSimon

Morewood (made in South Africa)

Cool – I didn't know that, thanks andylux – I've just been reading the WMB 'bike of the year' test and they marked it down for value without mentioning this fact! I just want to make informed decisions.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why does it matter to you if the frame is made in SA or not?

njee20
    Free Member

Litespeed Sewanee too.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I wonder what the true factory gate prices are

I think you would have to allow for economies of scale as well. Specialized and Trek will be spreading their R+D, Marketing, Tooling and Sponsorship across a lot more bikes than the boutique brands.

andylux
    Free Member

Morewood,

The town in SA where Morewoods are made (Pietermaritzburg) is the same place that the metal is mined out of ground and then turned into tubes etc.

si-wilson
    Free Member

The town in SA where Morewoods are made (Pietermaritzburg) is the same place that the metal is mined out of ground and then turned into tubes etc.

Top fact, i like that!

AlexSimon

Si: Well – it might not. But I like to know. Once we know we can make an informed decision.

For me personally, I'm passionate about bikes (not just riding) and I think if someone's taking the hard route and finding ways to make bikes locally (SA is local to Morewood) then I find it interesting. Same with Orange. It clearly affects their pricing and they have a certain aesthetic (which I don't currently like) but I really admire them for doing it. And, if I bought a bike from them I would take pride in that fact.
    Some of the US companies mentioned above make their own stuff in-house and have all sorts of problems (supply/quality/etc) but they're living their dream. I can identify with their goals.

I also really identified with Paul Turner wanting to outsource Maverick to taiwan because his designs when manufactured in the US resulted in a high reject and failure rate.

I can also relate to Brant sitting in his shed making use of global sourcing to deliver niche bikes at affordable prices.

I like these stories and they add something to a purchase for me when it's something as soulful and pleasurable as a bike.

si-wilson
    Free Member

AlexSimon, point well made, thanks!

AlexSimon

andylux – yes that is a top fact. Nice one.

sssimon
    Free Member

go to halfords and you'll find a few

they moved apollo production to bangladesh

si-wilson
    Free Member

ps, i really like the Morewood, if i wasn't the Chumba Distributor that's what i would be riding!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why does it matter to you if the frame is made in SA or not?

Again, it's very debatable whether it matters or not in the end. But if you take Orange, there's something kind of cool about the fact that they just weld a bike up one afternoon and take it for a spin to see how it goes. It might not be the ideal way of doing things these days but they resisted the temptation to sell out on the back of Peaty's success, they carry on doing it their way, there's no doubt the end result is good – it's admirable and fun if nothing else!

scruzer
    Free Member

Merlin(Ti)assuming they still make an xc f/s
    Litespeed
    Rocky Mountain (?) Please cofirm…
    Some Canondales (?)

ocrider

I must admit that the idea of buying a bike using components made in Europe appeals to me more than something made in Asia, even doing so is almost impossible.
    Western Europe has outsourced its industries to the point where the skills are no longer handed down through the generations. I feel that it is a trend that needs reversing.

pedalhead
    Free Member

As I understand it, the monocoque Orange frames are made in the UK, all the others in the far east.

AlexSimon

Merlin 525 (they only seem to do one hardtail and one f/s)
    Litespeed Sewanee

Scruzer – thanks for that. I clicked on a few bikes on the Rocky Mountain site and couldn't find any that said made in canada.
    Cannondale – it seems they are in the process of moving all production overseas by 2011. It's tricky to find details on the MTBs so it's possible it's already moved.

AlexSimon

pedalhead – are all Orange's full suss bikes considered monocoque? Or do they get round tubed main triangles made in Taiwan and just make the swingarms on some?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Full sus bikes not made in Taiwan’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM