Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garmin 800 Numpty Question.
  • singlespeedstu

My new Garmin 800 turned up today and i’ve been having a bit of a play around with it.
    Seem to have sussed out how it works. Well sort of anyway.

So then how do I go about plotting a route?
    I’ve got it connected to Garmin Connect but when i click on the “Courses” tab then onto “Create Your First Course” it bring up a streetmap not an OS map.
    Both the 800 and the map have been registered with Garmin.

So should it just bring the OS map up or am I missing something?
    I don’t see how i can plot a route when none of the footpaths are shown on it. 😉

lazybike
    Free Member

try bikehike, create a route, save as tcx, connect garmin, download route into new files folder..that should work.. here explains it better

markenduro
    Free Member

have you tried it with garmin basecamp? Allows you to plot routes with the OS maps (well it does with a dakota).

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t use Connect, but have you tried Garmin Basecamp? That should read the OS maps on the 800 (there’s a drop-down box where you select what map you want to use). Works for my Dakota and Edge 705.

Russell96

Have a read of this >>

Dummies Guide to the Garmin Edge 800

singlespeedstu

Thanks for the replys so far.

I’ll have a look at basecamp and bikehike later.

Anyone else want to add anything/

simontee
    Free Member

If you go into basecamp you should be able to select the OS map (it won’t default to it). Its a shame, but I haven’t found a way of doing the same in Garmin Training Center

Simon

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the garmin connect route mapping was easy to use but didnt add altitude when i tried it a few month ago (however if you download rides that other people have done then the altitude data is there)

I generally make my routes on bikehike, save them to hard drive and then add them to the device using basecamp.

When using basecamp for the mapping i find drawing the maps is quite a slow process and when saving direct to the device from bikehike (or other online sites) then it can be bit hit and miss whether it saves properly first time. Plus i like to keep a folder on the desktop with the map files as a backup.

singlespeedstu

Just been trying to load a route on from here.

http://www.imba.org.uk/WhereToRide/TransCambrianWay.html

When i left click on the gpx file it opens up a load of text.
    When i right click it doesn’t give me an option to save. But does give me an option to save link location, which doesn’t seem to help me.

So how do i get the route onto the GPS? 😳

druidh
    Free Member

stu, with Chrome, I do a Right-Click, then “Save link as….”

singlespeedstu

Cheers druidh. 😀

Seems to be working now.

Think i’ll stick to building bikes in the future. 😳

martinxyz
    Free Member

O.K ive gone into Basecamp but i cant seem to find any OS Maps. Theres a girl standing with a plate of carrot cake but not a map in sight :O/

LadyGresley
    Free Member

In Opera, a right click gives a “save link content” option for the .gpx file.

CHB

martinxyz: the garmin needs to be plugged into usb on pc to see the maps….it uses them straight off the card with basecamp.
    Garmin connect is good for plotting road routes as it uses google maps and you can drag the route aroud easier to use a particular route.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Sorry i was being silly. Basecamp is a cafe/trail centre that sells carrot cake :O)
    I was planning an 800 though,so maybe i`ll be back for the serious info posted up in the months ahead!

apreading
    Free Member

In my experience, Bikehike is the only adequate tool for plotting off road routes, using OS Maps and/or Open Cycle Maps (which allow automatic routing if you set it to use the OCM algorithm rather than google maps and save alot of manual work).

You can copy routes from bikehike onto the device but I have been playing today and found TCX Converter which allows me to open a GPX file from bikehike and convert it to TCX history file which can be manually uploaded into Garmin Connect – this allows the route to be saved there for later use and easy downloading to the device as and when you want it.

Works really well.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800 Numpty Question.’ is closed to new replies.