• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Garmin eTrex H – Bike Mount ?
  • tragically1969
    Free Member

Just interested what everybody uses for a bike mount for the eTrex H, the battery cover idea does not look that stable or secure to me, there has to be a more secure solution……hasn't there ?

clubber
    Free Member

It works perfectly and mine's stable and secure. Don't try and re-invent the wheel!

robinbetts
    Free Member

I have one for my etrex and it's great. No problems with stability, it's solid as a rock. Battery cover locks on securely. I'd recommend it, much better than getting out a pocket every time.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Don't try and re-invent the wheel!

I wasnt trying to re-invernt the wheel as such, just wondered if anybody had come accross a third party mount that didnt rely on the battery cover.

I sort of wanted to mount it centraly round the stem really but i dont suppose it will fit round a Thomson !!

So this is the one then ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Garmin_eTrex~Venture_Cx_Handlebar_Mount/5360014595/

uplink
    Free Member

These look quite good
    http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2394.html

you need the actual matching bar mount too

clubber
    Free Member

That's the one.

clubber
    Free Member

And I'd trust the battery cover one more than that cradle FWIW. Neater too.

Also, you do know that the 'battery cover' isn't just a bit of plastic that clicks in place, don't you – it's actually got a metal key type arrangement that holds it in place and the plastic is pretty stiff to ensure that it remains waterproof. Honestly it's a complete non issue. I've had my GPS on my cx bike rattling down all sorts of rocky descents with absolutely no issue.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Ok cheers all, i am sold on them, now wheres got the oversize one in stock for least cash !!??!!

uplink
    Free Member

I sort of wanted to mount it centraly round the stem really but i dont suppose it will fit round a Thomson !!

something like this?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've got the RAM eTrex holder and it works great – you don't 'have' to have the mounting bracket, mine's just held on by 2 cable ties:

It also is OK as a phone holder – this is my old C500 smartphone which runs the mobile version of memorymap 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

What sharkbait says. They are super.

tragically1969
    Free Member

They look like the sot of thing i was thinking about

Also a real simple question, what do i need to upload pre-planned routes to the GPS, can i use Tracklogs or similar or is it not as easy as that ?

uplink
    Free Member

Routes are easily created & uploaded via Tracklogs, Anquet, Memory Map etc.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Routes are easily created & uploaded via Tracklogs, Anquet, Memory Map etc.

Which is considered to be the best\easiest ?

Tracklogs looks OK for 1:50,000 for £9.95

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – I've not tried Tracklogs

I find Anquet easier to work with than I do Memory Maps

Can you not download trial versions of each & give them a whirl & see which one works for you?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

What you need to mount the unit properly is one of these

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2394.html

together with one of these

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod4137.html

fbk
    Free Member

Personally I've had loads of problems with the standard "battery cover" mount. I've had 3 seperate mounts, all of which were fine initially but gradually developed more and more play between the mount and the bracket that screws onto the etrex. The first was with an old Legend, the 2nd 2 with a Vista Hcx. Last summer the GPS actually fell off the bars because of this!!

I've looked at the ones on GPSW a few times. Maybe I'll get one 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Garmin eTrex H – Bike Mount ?’ is closed to new replies.