Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Giant Anthem shock bush
  • jemima
    Free Member

Shocked to fine there’s only one! The eyelet in the barrel runs directly on a pin without a bush or top hats. Anybody had any durablity problems with this?

jemima
    Free Member

I must stop posting so late at night that the forum goes to sleep. Either that or choose more interesting topics…

z1ppy

Jemima, it’s happens… shh don’t tell, but I post sometimes on ignored threads, even if I’m not sure of the answer in the hope other ppl will start jumping up and down shouting that I’m wrong and then provide the right answer…

But to this, it does seem throughly stupid, after all the bushing is a sacrifical part, why remove it from the equation? The whole point of the bushing is to avoid ovalizing the shock eyelet after all.
    If no-one’s is forth coming or you really worried, maybe ring TF Tuned, asking if it’s possible to get a mounting kit that will fit & include a bushing?

longwayhome
    Free Member

I don’t have an Anthem but would definitely get a bushing in there. Can’t think why you wouldn’t.

Is it newish? Could you go back to the dealer to find out why it hasn’t and possibly get one sorted under warranty?

If you can’t wangle one, buy one. You’ll need a new mount because the bushing will decresase the effective internal diameter. As z1ppy says, TF Tuned throw in a bushing with a mount, the others may do the same. Loco on here is very helpful but I don’t think he does mount kits yet. Loco?

You’ll need a tool to insert the bushing, I’ve just bought one of these which is a bit cheaper than the ones the well know places sell. Don’t know how well it works yet though, maybe someone else has experience.

jemima
    Free Member

z1ppy – thanks for stimulating response!

The only reason I could think for not installing a shock bush is a minor cost saving on behalf of Giant…

To be fair however, the bike is a year old and has had some heavy use and there is not one sign of wear on the pin or the shock eyelet. The top bush was totally goosed.

I was wondering if the design of the maestro system meant there was no rotation of the shock about the lower fixing thus meaning the pin/eyelet only took vertical loads and thus minimising the risk of wearing out the assembly?

I’ve got the bushing removal tool sold by TFT and it works a treat. Makes the job a fair bit easier if you having bushings…

Dr_Bakes

I saw this recently on the same subject. It seems it is not necessary due to the design?

old thread

jemima
    Free Member

Well found/remembered DrBakes. As I suspected its probably not something to worry about…

Dr_Bakes

p.s. Good to know you’ve had no wear in a year and proves they’ve got it right. I found on my old Trance the top bushing would wear out first and started using the upgrade kits from TFT.

I’ve just got a new Trance X now with this design and I guess it might save a marginal amount of weight but will also save some cash in the long run!

longwayhome
    Free Member

Ah, I see, the old post is interesting.

I don’t have access to a Maestro linkage to have a look (photo?) and convince myself it would never rotate. Might even consider putting in a bushing in case something seizes and it does start rotating. It would not be cheap to have to replace the body of a Fox shock.

z1ppy

z1ppy – thanks for stimulating response!

not sure how much your taking the pee… but once again my magical forum powers have prevailed! 😉

jemima
    Free Member

dunno if you taking the pee… but once again my magical forum powers have prevailed!

Ah. I can see upon re-reading that it could sound like I’m saying your actual post is stimulating, which sounds like I’m saying its boring.

What I meant was, “thanks for posting and prompting other forum members to post also”!

retro83
    Free Member

longwayhome – Member

Ah, I see, the old post is interesting.

I don’t have access to a Maestro linkage to have a look (photo?) and convince myself it would never rotate. Might even consider putting in a bushing in case something seizes and it does start rotating. It would not be cheap to have to replace the body of a Fox shock.

Actually it’s not too bad, about £30 I think*. But looking at the design, is that through axle thing not free to rotate on the pivot bearings anyway? I.e. if you remove the shock and fit that big axle back in, can you turn it or is it fixed?

*This bugger scratched mine (well possibly not but I’m blaming him anyway).

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Jemima

I saw your post today at work but couldn’t reply at the time. I was amazed to see this on my Trance X as was the bloke at my LBS. On close inspection I realised that the shock doesn’t rotate around the pin. All of the movement is on the same bearing that the bottom linkage rotates on. The pin and shock are firmly clamped together by the 2 spacers when you tighten up the bolt at the end of the pin. A very clever design I think.

I did however have a problem with my top bushing wearing out. I think it was a bad quality bushing used on the own brand Giant shock. I believe there was a lot of friction at this point which probably caused the wear on the shock shaft and resulting death of said shock.

I now have a better shock and have also installed an enduro needle bearing kit in place of the top bush and the ride is so much better. I’ve not tried the teflon coated bushings you get with the Fox shocks but I reckon they’ll be a lot better than the one I had in my Giant shock. Just keep an eye on your bushing for any wear or play in it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

+1 for enduro needle bearing kit 🙂

jemima
    Free Member

I was amazed to see this on my Trance X as was the bloke at my LBS

Glad its not just me – I had a classic double take when I removed the shock from the frame.

I did however have a problem with my top bushing wearing out

Yip – the top one is the fasted wear I’ve ever had on a shock bush although it was a DU bush in a Fox shock. I’ve renewed it and will keep tabs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem shock bush’ is closed to new replies.