Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Giant Anthem X owners – headset help please!
  • chillidave
    Free Member

I’ve got an 2010 X3, and noticed after a few rides a rough sound when turning the bars, taking apart and cleaning the headset there was a load of dirt that had built up between fork crown race and the lower bearings. Cleaned it up and tightened everything up properly but one muddy ride later it’s doing the same.

Has anyone had the same experience? I’m wondering if there is some seal that may be missing, there’s norubber seals between fork and frame.

As always any help is very much appreciated.

IanW
    Free Member

Yep, changed the headset for a hope sealed version maybe a month after purchase. You wont be covered under warranty, original ok as long as you dont ride the bike in the wet..or mud..or wash it or get it wet in anyway.

if you are going to ride the bike over winter to any serious degree you will be changing the rear bearings within the year too.

Otherwise a fantastic bike though so enjoy.

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks Ian, not the best news but better to be ready as I’ve ridden it through all kinds of filth since I’ve had it and I don’t really intend going easy on it.

Can I ask which model hope headset did you get, I didn’t realise they did semi integrated ones and where can you source a set of bearings? It might be worth having a few spares by the sounds of it!

IanW
    Free Member

No problem, you should be looking for a semi integrated headset sometimes called a zero stack. Theres probably a few brands out there I was recommended hope and its been good so far.

My LBS sourced and changed the frame bearings aand shock bushes. The bearings were done on warranty the bushes charged as a service item. I think you can get uprated “enduro” ones on ebay though.

cheers

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve replaced all the pivot bearings on my 2010 Anthem X after it started creaking badly. Got a set from a Katec on Ebay – all Japanese branded bearings which he packs with his own grease. They should last alot longer than the oem ones.

The headset occasionally sounds really gritty after washing but feels smooth.

onewheelgood

@neninja, did you use a proper bearing puller or just improvise? Thinking of doing this myself since my LBS quoted £200…

neninja
    Free Member

£200!!!!

You can buy a proper tool kit to do it made by Giant – Maestro Bearing Tool Kit – should be available to order from a Giant dealer – they are £80.

I however was lazy and changed the wheel bearings myself but got my LBS to do the pivot bearings – charged me £30

onewheelgood

To be fair to the LBS, £140 of that was the cost of the bits from Giant, who apparently won’t just sell the bearings, but want you to buy the linkage plates with bearings pre-installed. Still trying to find out if this is actually true…

neninja
    Free Member

You’re better off buying the bearings from BETD or Katec or you’ll just end up getting the same quality of bearing as the bike came with again and will have to pack them all properly with grease.

My LBS actually told me to source the bearings and they’d fit them. I went for the more expensive bearings that Katec does (branded EZO, INA Fag, SKF bearings) on the basis that they’ll not need doing again for at least couple of years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Giant Anthem X owners – headset help please!’ is closed to new replies.