Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Giant maestro bearing press
  • rock
    Free Member

Hello,

I’ve failed miserably at trying to swap out the bearings on my anthem x2 using sockets and a hammer. Does anyone have one of those fancy dan maestro bearing presses that they would be willing to rent to me?

Cheers,

Dave

StuE
    Free Member

Where are you ?

Olly
    Free Member

an old quick release, and various sockets.

a hammer is no use, you have no control
    the QR lets you ease a lot of pressure on, in a controlled manner, like a “real” bearing press.

MUCH power, little effort.

epicyclo

That’s ingenious!

rock
    Free Member

StuE – London

That press looks very cool. Is it literally just a series of sockets on a qr? Does the QR apply enough pressure?

kaesae
    Free Member

That will not work on a giant, they have odd shaped housing, rock I have a meastro puller and press, maybe we could work something out!

StuE
    Free Member
    rock
    Free Member

StuE – i’m guessing it’s too heavy to post?

Kaesae- are you based around london? I think it was you who I bought the replacement bearings from

lipseal
    Free Member

I got these from CRC, but have used 8mm threaded bar nuts and washers.

rock
    Free Member

lipseal – how do they work? DO you just use them with an allen key or spanner, or do you need a separate tool?

Olly
    Free Member

That will not work on a giant

Thats a giant trance Kaesae.

Shhush.

the QR provides MORE than enough pressure.
    choose a BIG socket thats teh appropriate size to support the outer edge, and choose a smaller one that fits through the back of the rocker, and pushes on the back of the bearing.
    then take up slack in the QR by stacking sockets and other convenient implements.

do up the QR nut so that you can only move the lever a cm or so, if you try and pull it down all the way from the top it wont work.

little pushes with maximum leverage

to fit the new bearings without borking them, use an OLD bearing as a pressing surface, being a bit careful not to press it in so that it fits itself in on top of the new one permenantly.

here I have used an old, snapped, axel from a deore hub, and used the cone, pushing on the inside of the old axel, with a 21mm socket (zocchi top cap size) supporting the frame.

for some more “tool abuse”

this is a 24mm socket at the bottom, and an old spanner at the top, fitting a headset a bit less glamorously than i would have hoped

but it worked.

lipseal
    Free Member

Hope you get the idea.

rock
    Free Member

anyone know a decent lbs in london who could do this?

kaesae
    Free Member

@ Olly the frame has more bearings than just two, can you show us a photo of the upper rear triangles housing and how it works there?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I would love to see that too…without the official tool.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Giant maestro bearing press’ is closed to new replies.