Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Glentress. Best combination of routes.
  • Mugboo

We’ll ride most things and are capable of a descent length of ride so what is your favourite combination of routes.
    My only experience of the place is the Red and the Freeride park.

We are thinking Red till the end of Spooky Wood, maybe Spooky Wood again, then back up and join the Black..

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi Mugboo, If you are cycling back to Peebles, there are some trails on the Hydro hotel side of Glentress,” Zoom or bust”, just up on the left from the freeride, followed by the green trail, turn right after the replica hut, you pass an old ring fort where a natural trail begins, and pops out near the bottom of jenny’s (or janet’s brae), another short natural trail leads to the house at bottom of brae. Have fun.

kevonakona
    Free Member

ho-chi-min?

several red/blue/blck combos

and the ever popular, only in the dark, “against the flow of traffic”

samuri
    Free Member

black then red then black. Maybe nip down to inners for a quick sprint round the black there before it gets dark.

Mugboo

No Ivnickate we are driving from Bradford,so parking at Glentress. With just the one day at Gt we want to see the best bits if thats possible.

hustler
    Free Member

Mugboo, the red to the bottom of spooky and then the black is a good option if you only have the one day. If you have the energy you can also easily repeat the bitch and the wormhole by following the fire road back up from the bottom of the wormhole and turning right up the fire road by mushroom pie (red route).

Enjoy whatever you get up to

Mugboo

Thanks Hustler, looking forward to it. Staying in Moffatt for the night then Dalbeattie in the morning.

hustler
    Free Member

Get to the black bull for decent pint then, but save some energy for Dalbeattie. In my opinion it is not as good as glentress or innerleithen, but enjoyable all the same. Don’t be put off by the Slab, its easier than it looks, to be frank the rocky chute (the contender it think?)down to it is harder.

Mugboo

Used a snowboarding trip as an excuse not to do the slab last yaer so no excuses left this time…

Smee
    Free Member

Some natural stuff, followed by some natural stuff out the back, then some more natural stuff up the top, then some more natural stuff round the side.

roughneck
    Free Member

Red on the fri night, red and a bit of black on sat morn and then the black at inners in the afternoon and the black back at GT on the sun morn. all done go home.

roughneck
    Free Member

But that was in july.

SeanOrange
    Free Member

My first (and only so far) trip to GT we did the whole Black on the morning with lunch at the Hub about 1pm then straight up to Spooky wood and joined the blue (exhausted) back to the lower carpark. Best day I’ve ever had but fell asleep on the way home…… good job I wasn’t driving I think……

uplink
    Free Member

I’d take the black all the way until the top of Deliverance then fire road to pick up the climb to Spooky Wood, turn left at the bottom & take the blue back down to the fire road
    Back along the fire road & pick up the red again at Hit Squad
    Follow either the red or black back down to the top of Falla Brae then back up to the Buzzards Nest & take Electric Blue back down & then follow any route back to the Hub

Go get a beer

Mugboo

Thanks Uplink thats the kind of thing i was after.

Just looking at the map, after Deliverance do we have to drop down the fire road that goes below Super G and above Hit squad or is there a way past Betty Blue to meet up with the bottom of Spooky Wood?

uplink
    Free Member

Yup – past the bottom of Super G & the top of Hit Squad

Turn right at the fire road junction & you’ll pick up the red 50m on
    You can then either follow it to the top of Spooky Wood or take the next right & follow the blue which will bring you out at the bottom of Spooky Wood & on to Betty Blue

coogan
    Free Member

Spooky Wood is over rated. I’d do the Boundry Trail on the black over it. In fact I’d do Innerleithen over GT and a play on the DH runs and then down Caddon Bank which pisses all over Spooky Wood frankly.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – my favourite bits of GT are the Goat Track, everything from the mast down to Deliverance, Betty Blue & Electric Blue

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Red to the end of Spooky Wood then the Blue to take you onto the fire road and turn left to go up to Deliverance. Once you get to what was Ewok village keep a lookout for some steep natural stuff that drops down from the fire roads. These start just along from the entrance to Double XX.

Smee
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – I like what you did there and the bits you missed out.

GW
    Free Member

uplink – deliverance is the best bit on the Black. 😯

dunno about best route, but this would be good – get driven to the mast (or ride the fireroad, the black is mainly rubbish or climbs til after britney spears), do black to end of deliverance, take the short cut back up to the blue, past end of super-G, follow red to top of spooky woods, do that, head along the blue to the second half of secrets, then head along to broon trout, au natrural to pie run, head up and do wormhole then just follow red back to the manky cake shop 😉 fill yer face with chod and drive up to the freeride for a few hours play.

Mugboo

The plot thickens, either that or i’ll disappear up my own bum..

uplink
    Free Member

uplink – deliverance is the best bit on the Black. [8O]

I hate it 🙂

GW
    Free Member

why?

J0N
    Free Member

IMHO all the black is good, except for that silly steep climb (Tower Ride) about a mile into the trail. From there its all good to home. Lombard Street (red) is better than The Bitch (black). you should include the Pie Run as well, its just a wee bit past Magic Mushroom.

Trekster

I do what uplink does but add on the first bit of black, turning right on fire road back to freeride park.
    On the return a climb back up to the freeride park, play a bit then descend via Electric blue.

You could also tag on Deliverence after Betty Blue.

uplink
    Free Member

why?

dunno really – it just doesn’t work for me

Richyb
    Free Member

I drove across from Northumberland to do the black while on holiday last summer and was a bit dissapointed to be honest, I don’t remember any stand out sections. Its not as good as Kirroughtree.

coogan
    Free Member

JON – really, you prefer the red bit to The Bitch? Its one of the few good rocky twisty bits at GT IMO.

traildog
    Free Member

Black then red then blue I guess. If you’re limited with time then you can do Black and then red and perhaps miss out dropping down to the lower car park between them. You’ll probably feel a bit short changed if you want a full days out just doing those two routes though.

J0N
    Free Member

We do the bitch every time, and rarely do the red. Cant really remember it TBH so maybe its just nostalgia :-), and you can carry on straight out of double X without the ‘break’ of the fire road. I didn’t say it wasn’t good. shoosssh…..secrets and lies is better than the bitch.

shteve
    Free Member

where is “secrets and lies”?

Stu

If you knew it wouldn’t be a secret! 🙄

shteve
    Free Member

i’m a local and i dont even know. maybe i’ll just have to ride the bitch again 😀

Stu

If your local ask someone local. Or go exploring! Telling the world about it on here would result in it disappearing very quickly (its not surfaced so can’t handle much traffic…)

J0N
    Free Member

Just how much of a secret are the hidden routes?
    I have done the old DH, Secret and Lies and the natural route from before Ewok and some other wee bits here and there.
    No idea where/what is Ho chi minh.

Stu

J0N – Member

Just how much of a secret are the hidden routes?

Not really that secret, none are that hard to find if you look hard enough. As I said above though none of them are surfaced and so the more folk that ride them the more cut up they get, so being the selfish person that I am I’d rather save them!

Also a couple are a fair step up in difficulty from the armoured trails hence unsuspecting folk could get a nasty surprise trying them! 😆

shteve
    Free Member

well im off back there this weekend so any hints would be appreciated. a bit of variety never hurts!

jammer
    Free Member

Up the black to the radio mast, then down to the top of spooky wood. Down the red until the pie run then the rest of the black. It’s the best combination of climbing and descending.

J0N
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks Spooky Wood is WAY over rated. It just too pedally unless dry as a bone. I much prefer Shane mcGowan and after. Everything after Spooky is good though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Glentress. Best combination of routes.’ is closed to new replies.