Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going over the Minigaig.
  • AntM
    Free Member

Which is the best way to do it North or South and how well does it link up with Glen Feshie?

cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The path from the top to meet up with the track from Glen feshie is very faint / non-existent. Or at least I couldn't find it

Waderider
    Free Member

Every time I've done the Minigaig it's been from South to North, making a loop out of Feshie and Tilt.

I've always varied from the traditional route, going on the advice of theflyingpaddy, a fellow paddy retired from this forum. Instead of carrying on to the woods on the north shore of the Allt na Cuilce, follow the ridge to the 912m trig point east of Leathad an Taobhain, and then get to the landy track on Meall an Uillt Chreagaich.

A bit of portage, but five years ago (when I was last there) it was preferable to the more westerly route. That's how I link the Minigaig and Feshie.

Steve_B

The route Waderider describes is the way I have done it – indeed as I recall it was in the company of the retired Flyingpaddy (tho I believe he is still flying around these parts!)

What I can't recall is how much hike a bike a bike there is starting from the steep climb away from the Bruar to the 912 trig – I recall the section which is marked as Minigaig not having a lot of riding which would mean about 6k of pushing portage to the trig – maybe Waderider can add some info ?

From the 912 trig is a rough but rideable descent and the return circuit is superb

Its also worth noting that the Bruar can be pretty hairy to cross at times – tho presumably not an issue this year!

AntM
    Free Member

Thanbks for the tips folks, I'll report back when i get it done (this Sat hopefully)

Ant

AntM
    Free Member

went over yesterday and really enjoyed it. The LRT was good past Bruar Lodge and the 1st bit of pushing was fine. after that i was able to ride most of it to the MInigaig itself since it was so dry. Due to lack of fitness and the strong Artic headwind i was behind in my estimated timing to get to this point so i elected to descend to the Allt na Cuilce and head West to the Gaick and then south to the A9 and back to Blair Atholl. The descent was 'lose the path, find the path' to the burn which is quite a contrast to the ascent with the cairns of white quartz marking the route over the MAMBA section (Miles and Miles of Bugger All). I must go back and try the route into the Feshie via the 912m top some day.

cheers for the advice.

Garry_Lager

Nice one Ant – any pictures?

I've been fancying the Minigaig this year as part of the sizable Bruar / Minigaig / Geldie / Tilt loop. A bit reticent to take it on for (lack of) fitness reasons, but if you're saying the Minigaig rides OK in the dry then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

It would definitely be a ride of two halves – if you got to Leathad an Taobhain in good shape it looks like you'd have most of the serious work done on the ride, although still quite a distance to pedal.

AntM
    Free Member

sorry no pics- no camera 😥 a pity as it was very clear. It looked like it was a push up to Leathad an Taobhain and point 912m from the top of the Minigaig (with a bit of downhill between the 2 tops)so about 1km of pushing. As I descended towards the trees i looked back up to the col between the 912m top and Meall an Uillt Chreagaich and it looked pretty rocky but there is prob' a way through. I also noted the map showed a path running up the hillside to the left of the western group of trees. i couldn't see that on the groung but the LRT above the trees is visible from the top of the Minigaig. I think with hindsight I could have cracked on down to the Feshie and used the North wind to 'push me home' down the Tilt as i zoomed along down the Gaick with tailwind. Oh well another day…

Garry_Lager

I was actually up that way myself yesterday – walked up to the plateau of A' Bhuidheanach Beag from Drumochter. Glorious sunny day, but really windy – we had our young kid with us and he got quite cold at the top so we had to come straight back down again. Can see that it would make quite a difference to the ride going straight ahead into that wind.

dRjOn
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going over the Minigaig.’ is closed to new replies.