Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GPS for running and cycling
  • JustRide
    Free Member

Having had a look at Polar and Garmin sites I am non the wiser as to a product that will do what I want it to which is:

1. GPS enabled to log my ride/run
    2. Display current speed/distance
    3. Be able to wear it for running and then quickly change it between different bikes without having to move sensors from one bike to another.
    4. Works with a HRM strap so I can judge when my heart will explode. 🙂

So ideally I am after a watch that covers all of the above

Hopefully someone here will have got exactly what I am after and will be able to point me in the right direction.

simon_g

Forerunner 305.

nosemineb
    Free Member

or Garmin 310xt.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I use a Forerunner 305. My only complaint with it is it can sometimes take a few minutes to grab a signal when it’s turned on but once its got it’s ok.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

How does real life battery life on a “watch” type GPS compare?

Will it reliably last a full day or more?

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

The 305 has a rechargeable battery just leave it plugged in to you computer when downloading information or mains.

mossimus
    Free Member

Another vote for Forerunner 305. 310XT not worth the extra unless you plan to swim with it or need more than 8 hours battery life.

I use a Forerunner 305. My only complaint with it is it can sometimes take a few minutes to grab a signal when it’s turned on but once its got it’s ok.

I find if I stand still it finds position within about 30 seconds, if I start moving though it can take up to ten minutes.

You will also want the garmnin quick release kit to allow mounting on bike and to easily swap between runing and the bike.

JustRide
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks you all for the replies,

Just to confirm, the 305 displays current speed?. If so its shopping time 😀

mossimus
    Free Member

Yes, current speed, lap speed, average speed, and lots of other things

uplink
    Free Member

Can I just add ………. 305 🙂

JustRide
    Free Member

Thanks mossimus, now off to find a bargain!!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Another vote for Forerunner 305. 310XT not worth the extra unless you plan to swim with it or need more than 8 hours battery life.

That’s the bit that worries me. 8 hours is marginal for a day out on a bike. Just enough. Do they deteriorate over time?

uplink
    Free Member

My 305 lasts 10 hours quite easily

can’t say I’ve noticed any deterioration in battery life over the last couple of years

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Can you download and follow a gpx on these or is that the sole preserve of bike mounted units?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Ah, just noticed the other topical thread

JustRide
    Free Member

305 purchased and it works really well with the bike mount. Easy to set up and use.
    It is quite big but fine for running and cycling with.

If you are after one that is smaller and use as a watch then go for the 210 instead

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GPS for running and cycling’ is closed to new replies.