Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Great Glen Way. Inverness to Drumnadrochit.
  • epicyclo

Thought I'd take a look at it seeing as it was being discussed here recently and the start is only 15 miles or so from me.

Wasn't intending to ride it, seeing as I was on probably the most unsuitable bike for the job – a 20" wheel Dahon single speed on a gearing of 62"

I was just going to take a look at the start, but you know how it is once you start…

Pics here

The start from Inverness is straightforward enough. Just start climbing 🙂 It was doable (just) on the Dahon so it shouldn't present a problem to a mtb with gears.

The first part is mainly through forestry and the surface is pretty smooth and firm to start. There's a bit of road riding after a bit then more smooth track, but the surface becomes a bit soft and you can feel the drag. Again nothing to worry a mtb.

The highlight is around the halfway mark. If you don't stop at Rory's cafe you're missing a memorable eating establishment 🙂 (Check the photos) Most of the trees you'll see in that area along the track have been planted by Rory, something like 48,000 if I recall. Some people talk environment, a very few really do it.

It gets on to more open country after that and the paths tend to deep gravel and sweeping curvy downhills. When it goes back into the forest area the feel changes. Suddenly Loch Ness is right there below you, several hundred feet down, and the track changes to singletrack. If you're lucky the RAF will be playing rip the sky apart 100' above your head – wish I'd done that job when I was a lad.

From the viewpoint of a small wheeled bike, this bit is where the excitement terror starts 🙂 Shouldn't bring a teaspoon to a knife fight sort of thing. It gets very steep and rocky. I wouldn't like to be trying to climb it in the other direction with a loaded bike.

(BTW for the guy who is planning trailing his child through this, make sure the trailer has suspension. I can speak with authority about how well 20" wheels handle this stuff 🙁 )

Anyhow, point a fool towards some stupidity and things get interesting. If anyone sees my wheeltracks on that bit, the zagging and zigging wasn't me trying to avoid things, it was me trying to regain control of a runaway pogo stick after thinking, "Hell, yeah! I can do this on a 20" wheel bike with slick tyres, etc"

After several near misses commonsense cowardice took over and I walked the bike down the steeper bits. It would be mega fun on the appropriate bike though.

The last bit has a diversion (because of lambing?) and the diversion is straight down a rocky hill to just above the road- I suspect it would not be wise to try to ride that bit.

The diciest part of the trip was when I got on to the main road. The drivers don't slow down, and pass very close. Ride on the footpath.

I didn't fancy riding back the way I'd come so I took the road option. Unfortunately the B833 out of Drumnadrochit is 15% for quite a bit. Figured I needed a walk by then anyway 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nice one . Me n jayne tried similar in feb … Too much snow to be fun though so we took to the adjacent b roads …. Got taken out by an out of control dog – result me over bars and jayne broken ribs. Nice choice of bike too !

cullen-bay
    Free Member

i really want to do this in summer, as you know epicyclo, its not exactly far from my house either!

Dr_Bakes

Epicyclo, thanks for that comprehensive review of the less established end of the GCW.

(BTW for the guy who is planning trailing his child through this, make sure the trailer has suspension. I can speak with authority about how well 20" wheels handle this stuff )

I was that guy and yes the trailer does indeed have suspension! I suspect my boy will be considerably more comfortable in it than you were on the Dahon! I on the other hand will probably be pushing up a lot of that. Fantastic scenery and I definitely fancy giving it a go. I had thought we'd go round on the east road from Fort Augustus instead but, accepting that there'll be a fair bit of hike-a-biking, perhaps we'll give it a go after all.

epicyclo

Dr_Bakes – Member
    …I definitely fancy giving it a go. I had thought we'd go round on the east road from Fort Augustus instead but, accepting that there'll be a fair bit of hike-a-biking, perhaps we'll give it a go after all.

The east road is very scenic but nowhere near as interesting as this. I'd never be able to ride up the Drumnadrochit side, but hike-a-bike will probably be just as fast or faster as grinding up in a granny ring and do less damage to the trail.

A visit to Rory's cafe is an absolute must 🙂 and he has a campsite.

devs
    Free Member

Ye're nae right deein it on that bike! Sounds like a proper good adventure though. I never knew about that cafe. I shall take the wife and kids out for a ride along there this year for a visit. Thanks for that.

13thfloormonk

haha, good skills!

Hoping to take a look later in the year, maybe as part of a WHW – GGW combo, that drumnadrochit climb sounds worrying though!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Great Glen Way. Inverness to Drumnadrochit.’ is closed to new replies.