Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Green tea – suggestions for a non-tea drinker
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, at around the age of 6 or 7 I realised that I was consuming a substance I really loathed: tea. It tastes foul and gives drinkers horrendous halitosis. I feel the same about coffee.

However, now and again I like the idea of a hot drink and, rather than hot chocolate, which just feeds my sugar-lust, I’d quite like to give the odd green tea a go.

So, any suggestions?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I like this stuff:

Green Tea

rewski
    Free Member

Mint tea rocks? Green tea makes me feel queasy.

Jamie
    Free Member

If I want a hot drink of an evening, I have Rooibos tea.

ourmaninthenorth

Two recommendations for Dragonfly Teas.

Jasmine. Hmm. I recall drinking that in China and thinking it was all right. Maybe I’ll give that a go.

rewski
    Free Member

vin chaud

Jamie
    Free Member

Two recommendations for Dragonfly Teas.

First google link for me, personally I have Sainsbury’s own as I am a tightwad. There taste the difference peppermint teas are really nice as well.

As for infusions from the likes of twinnings etc, I always find them piss weak.

higthepig
    Free Member

This is my favourite,Clipper

theteaboy
    Free Member

There are nearly as many tea snobs as there are coffee snobs!

Tea isn’t just the brown stuff with milk.

For black teas I like darjeeling (light and good with lemon. No milk) or Assam (dark, strong and milky). Or Yorkshire Tea, obviously.

Green teas are good but try jasmine teas first – they’re a bit easier to drink than pure green. Asian supermarkets are your best bet. Get loose leaf, not bags.

White tea is good too. I think it’s Whittards that do a white tea with cherries.

Fruit teas generally small amazing but just taste of hot water.

Jamie
    Free Member

the teaboy:

Man should know what he is talking about.

ourmaninthenorth

Man should know what he is talking about.

Indeed. But where is he with his trolley moving round the office – “Cuppa tea?”.

motivforz
    Free Member

I have never liked normal tea and doubt i ever will. Was missing out on tea breaks at work last year so tried green tea.

Would agree with twinings being quite weak, and clipper being a favourite of mine, just through supermarket experimenting. I quite like the fruit teas, but you do have to leave the bag in permanently to get any taste out of them, the tea boy is correct about them being weak.

Lifer
    Free Member

I like Chai now and again, the Twinnings one in bags. Find the powdered ones in sachets a bit overwhelming. Chai Lattes are damn good too.

trickydisco
    Free Member

If ya feeling flush

My favourite
    Jacksons Sencha Green tea

Still keep meaning to buy some matcha green tea

£25 for that box!

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 on Assam and Yorkshire for black tea

rocketman
    Free Member

…Clipper

^^ this
    Green tea for the masses. Very smooth, no ‘WTF is this?’ flavour, no bitter aftertaste.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh, and of course there are Mr Scruff’s very nice teas.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 on Assam and Yorkshire for black tea

Oi..! Stop trying to impose your black tea on this green tea thread..! 🙂

Right, supermarket Jasmine tea it is to begin with. but, as with all things STW, I’ll soon descend into a niche where I’m having hand made green tea imported from China….

miketually
    Free Member

Not green tea, but Oolong’s nice.

Lifer
    Free Member

Sorry!

Chai is good though

“Once upon a time, Chai was drunk only by the royalty in India. But word got out about its spicy, soothing flavour & soon the streets were filled with the distinctive scent of cinnamon, ginger and cloves.

Chai is perfect at any time of day, but particularly in the afternoon. Invite some friends round and share the secret all over again.”

Oh jeyah

Nearly missed an opportunity for my favourite joke there:

Why do Communists drink fruit tea?

Because property is theft!

😀

trickydisco
    Free Member

yea. next you’ll be buying

and a whisk

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Mmm green tea I love it.

You can get green with added stuff that makes it sweeter but I love it.

Made it for a mate who said where is your bathroom so he could spit it out lol

ourmaninthenorth

Not green tea, but Oolong’s nice.

Hmm. Remember that from China, too.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

twinings jasmine green tea, no milk. infact any decent tea without milk.

green tea is a bit of an acquired taste, the more you drink it the better it gets. at first the main thing is not to overbrew as it gets bitter quite fast.

ourmaninthenorth

cheers gav

BTW, trickydisco, WTF is that at the top? Tea bdsm?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

that whittard’s white tea with cherry blossom that the teaboy mentioned is my current favourite tom.

but dragonfly green teas are all good too, clipper is a failsafe regular, to get more specific with green tea then sencha is particularly tasty and i keep meaning to try japanese matcha green tea (the powdered one you make with that bamboo bowl and whisk pictured above) however a decent quality one is very pricy (or an average quality one is pricy if it’s teapigs brand!)

ourmaninthenorth

cheers Andy – might give that a go too.

No-one expect a damascene conversion..!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Green tea – suggestions for a non-tea drinker’ is closed to new replies.