Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Hammerschmidt + Alfine hardtail – now with reduced marmite….
  • psychle
    Free Member

A more 'sensible' fork choice perhaps… 😆

Before (E150 fork)

After (Vanilla 125RLC)

lookmanohands
    Free Member

howwwwwwwww many cables! 😈

epicsteve
    Free Member

Still looks quite odd.

firestarter
    Free Member

you cant polish a turd but you can cover it in glitter 😉

IamSam
    Free Member

five………… do I get a prize

psychle
    Free Member

howwwwwwwww many cables!

5 all in… brakes, front/rear shifters and the GD… I need to tidy them up a bit (shorten brake lines particularly!)

Still looks quite odd

it may be the lens distorting a little?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm afraid I preferred it before. The angles look better somehow. And a Gravity-dropper never improves aesthetics. Still, it's an interesting bike and no mistake. 🙂

convert

Aesthetically I think I preferred it before – and that ain't saying much!

How does it ride though?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Still, it's an interesting bike and no mistake.

Indeed – despite the looks I wouldn't mind a play on it.

I'm not sure anything based around that particular frame is ever going to look particularily good.

nasher
    Free Member

Is the hammerscnidt/alfine system better/lighter/cheaper than a solo rohloff hub?

akira

It sort of looks like you've taken something vital off it and not replaced it but I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Hammerschmidt's are great though, if you're happy with a bit of weight and drag the instant shift is amazing.

psychle
    Free Member

rides fine, a little bit of noticeable drag in overdrive, but bearable (for now!).

will probably fit a shorter stem, I think it's a 90mm/10 degree thomson on there at the moment. I reckon a 50mm OS stem would be better!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like Marmite. That is am not so sure about. The drivetrain is interesting, I like your thinking. But asthetically, no.

glenp
    Free Member

Transmission very good and interesting – everything else Nil Point. I'm not trying to case offence, but that does really look like a lash-up off ebay.

psychle
    Free Member

I'm not sure anything based around that particular frame is ever going to look particularily good

It looks better with the seat down, it's a street/jump/4X frame after all, so it's not meant to have a long seatpost exposed… I don't think that's helping things. Plus the tyres are a little skinny, 1.95 Trailrakers and the cable routing's a tad messy at the moment.

Is the hammerscnidt/alfine system better/lighter/cheaper than a solo rohloff hub?

Don't think it's lighter, probably not 'better' either. I bought my hammerschmidt in the States, so much cheaper than here, and the alfine was off the classifieds. Drivetrain cost around £450 all in…

tonyg2003

Are you sure you need the Hammerschmidt? The Alfine is like a 1×9 set up and for all my riding I find it fine.

psychle
    Free Member

that does really look like a lash-up off ebay

Hence my nickname for it, the Frankenbike… made of lot's of mismatched bits 😆 I'll continue to work on it and who knows, I may make it look decent in the end 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

Are you sure you need the Hammerschmidt?

Probably not TBH, but it's a fun/interesting experiment… certainly different anyhow. I do find with a 1 x alfine setup that the hardest (highest?) gear is quite often not enough, so that's were the hammer is good to have, gives you a 36Tx24T ratio (I think)

acjim
    Free Member

The head angle looks super steep with the vans. Aren't those frames meant to be run with 140mm+ forks?

kimbers

i think it needs a ghetto hammerite stealth black paintjob

MrAgreeable

Angles do look odd. Are the forks set to the full 5"?

I think your seat is angled too far forwards too.

Also, those skinny Panaracers are going to feel well out of their depth on a bike like that.

I won't even mention the stem. 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Why not leave the Hammerschmidt on and go for one cog one the back and use it as a jump bike that you can ride back up the hill. Then put the Alfine on a proper bike.

psychle
    Free Member

The head angle looks super steep with the vans. Aren't those frames meant to be run with 140mm+ forks?

As far as I can tell, the frame is a prototype Miii, it's a 15" rather than the production 14". Orange reckons 100-130mm forks, though of course this frame could have a different HA to the production ones… should give Orange a call to check I guess!

psychle
    Free Member

Why not leave the Hammerschmidt on and go for one cog one the back and use it as a jump bike that you can ride back up the hill. Then put the Alfine on a proper bike.

That's under serious consideration…

Angles do look odd. Are the forks set to the full 5"?

not sure… they may be adjusted to 100mm, what's the way to check, just get the tape measure out?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Preferred it with the E150!

acjim
    Free Member

Your prototype looks quite different, especially around the headtube gusset and seat stays – the angles could be steepened by the slightly downhill patio though!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Your bottom bracket looks too low. It looks like a plastic bike that has been left too close to a fire and sagged in the middle. Sorry.

adstick
    Free Member

AND

sort your bars out!

Lifer
    Free Member

What did you think of the E150?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

preferred it before. but think its a cool concept…

psychle
    Free Member

OK… found a shorter stem and have dropped the alfine in favour of a single 16T rear cog… and fitted bigger tyres (Advantages). Starting to look better, no?

Now I just need to adjust the fork travel back to 125mm 🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

much better. I think it was the sloping patio that caused the problem 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

the silly skinny tyres weren't helping either 😆 looks much better with beefy 2.4 rubber 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

For me you need to get rid of the gravity dropper too and just run a normal QR collar. Surely a few heavy hits jumping and that gravity dropper will be a non functional heavy piece of trash?
    And still too many cables 😆

tootin

I originally liked it, your gradually making it worse. It was unigue and hardcore before.

TimP
    Free Member

Surely it was 3 cables and 2 brake lines?

And I have a Kona Shred with Revs on as my only bike so i can kind of see the attraction in bikes like this. Mine has rigid forks on for commuting during the week and that makes it look marginally better in my opinion, but I wont be posting any pictures of it on here!!

psychle
    Free Member

For me you need to get rid of the gravity dropper too and just run a normal QR collar. Surely a few heavy hits jumping and that gravity dropper will be a non functional heavy piece of trash?

I think the GD will be useful for 'undulating' trails, plus it's nice to not have to stop at the top of a hill to drop your saddle in preparation for the downhill and jumps to come 🙂

I certainly won't be subjecting the GD to any heavy landings when it's extended, that'd be a recipe for disaster, definitely! The remote is so handy and quick to use, so when you want to drop the saddle it's just done in a click, simples 8)

I originally liked it, your gradually making it worse. It was unigue and hardcore before

I may yet go back to the E150 fork up front… time will tell 🙂

Surely it was 3 cables and 2 brake lines?

exactamondo… now it has 2 cables and 2 brake lines 🙂

dgrider
    Free Member

The frame is a prototype SubZero. You need 160mm forks on to make it work.

psychle
    Free Member

The frame is a prototype SubZero

that's what it was sold to me as… but then I saw the Miii and came to the conclusion it was a prototype of that…

Are you certain of your statement, or just guessing (no disrespect intended 🙂 )?

cheers 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Hammerschmidt + Alfine hardtail – now with reduced marmite….’ is closed to new replies.