• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hand Luggage Question
  • tootallpaul

Any issues with me taking a bike lock (Abus heavy cable thing) in hand luggage?

I'm trying to keep hold luggage weight down as it's mainly going to be costing me excess cos of the bike box.

Cheers

P

Flaperon

I imagine it'll depend on the security goon on duty that day.

TooTall
    Free Member

Buy a new lock at the other end?

SST
    Free Member

I put all my heavy stuff in hand luggage.

Last time I came back to South Africa my hand luggage weighed as much as my hold luggage. I shit you not! Just don't wince while you carry it and no one will notice. Oh and to add insult to injury – I bought a bike bag with my MTB and all my bike tools, clothes and some bike books in it too – Virgin allow 32kg of Sporting goods 🙂

In my defence – I don't bring 50kg of fat with me every flight – some people do 😉

Flaperon

Just bear in mind that no maximum rated load figures exist for the overhead lockers, so if you lob 30kg in it and someone else does the same, don't act surprised if it goes horribly wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

SST – baggage handlers and cabin crew don't have to carry around fat people's excess fat do they?

don't act surprised if it goes horribly wrong

Keeping a totally calm face as 60kg of luggage falls on you would be impressive 🙂 Pretty sure I'd act surprised.

tootallpaul

Cheers guys- the hand luggage isn't that heavy, bar the lock…

Not much chance of buying a decent replacement lock in Addis I'm afraid!

:o)

Mintman
    Free Member

I had a multi-tool taken off me because "you could undo an aircraft with it". For a start I can only aspire to be that good with some Allan keys and secondly the tools prohibited are "tradesmans tools that could be used as an effective weapon" but sadly my multi-tool went the way of the dodo. I complained and waiting to hear back about their stance.

jam-bo

I had some zip ties and packing tape taken off me because I could use them as restraints!!!

tootallpaul

So you all know, bike locks are not on the list for prohibited items for hand luggage.

My bag was stopped on the way through, and they spotted the lock, checked the list and let it through without any issues…

DrJ

Very rare that they weigh hand luggage unless it is a small plane and your bag looks big and heavy. BA have 23kg limit on hand luggage. Others is more like 8 or 10kg.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hand Luggage Question’ is closed to new replies.