• This topic has 37 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dzm.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Have you done "that" jump near Abinger
  • jhw
    Free Member

The massive gap that almost spits you onto the road. You know the one I mean.

What was it like?

wwaswas

Never mind ‘that’ gap what about the death defying drop near the swings in Glasgow that was the talk of the forum not long back?

freeridenick
    Free Member

you mean the one at the bottom of white down.

mafu26
    Free Member

we need some pics!

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve seen Simon from Nirvana and Crazy Jo do the gap jump, Jody Crawforth also did it involuntarily a few years ago on a Merida 96 Team, he didn’t come out of it quite so well!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Its not to bad really.

The real test piece is the jump through the 2 trees higher up where you first cross the road

Apparently Wade Simmons and Richey Schley did it on a visit to Surrey many years ago!!!???

One of our local diggers is building a sweet trail into it at the moment 😉

jhw
    Free Member

Heh.

Yeah exactly that one. Eludes me every time. It looks eminently doable, I’ve done other stuff like it, I’m just a bit wet about it. I wish there was not a chicken run.

I do love those chutes though

Do you mean the potentially very large jump, immediately after you cross the road, with an off camber run in, and roots sort of to your right that you can hip onto if you like.

Ah no sorry – you must mean Simon’s new trail. That is completely beyond me. Can you nail that?

There is sooo much potential to get big air on that trail actually, not just on the setpiece jumps either, natural stuff to launch off too. Not that I do.

Cool to hear Wade and Richey rode it

freeridenick
    Free Member

The jump I mean is right by the road after the steep roll where you head directly up the bank on the other side and try and make it around a high tree
    to your left at 1.55 minutes
    http://www.vimeo.com/3514643

Simons new trail is good fun. nice small drop to double. The one build the year before has a sizeable gap and and double.
    ridden here (very well!)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MBRmagazine?feature=chclk#p/u/43/w7dBc4TIhUc

doris
    Free Member

the step down onto the road is cool even though the lip is falling away a bit it still gives you enough pop to clear the little gap.

Wade Simmons and Richey Schley did indeed jump out between the trees by the bottom of blind terror. That was a few years ago now i was still riding around on my old voodoo with judy xc forks!!

Simons new ish trail which connects up a few of the older jumps and some new stuff is a great top to bottom blast.

jhw
    Free Member

query – without giving the location of the entire trail away – exactly which bit is Blind Terror, and where does that become Abba Zabba, or vice versa? Is one the bit on the west side and one the bit on the east side.

jedi

Was it not wade and gully?

doris
    Free Member

Was it not wade and gully?

in fact i think it was just wade that come on the ride, and on another occasion wade and gully came over and rode esher shore and did some riding with kit at the old stuff on leith (the big step down that isnt mother hucker) I expect you know which one that is jedi.

Abba zabba is the first roll in, in the video posted above, then the same video they ride into blind terror two then blind terror then across the road into numb skull which takes a different line these days.

jedi

Wade and gully told me about riding kits stuff

doris
    Free Member

that old stuff has probably been reclaimed by nature now. the problem with it was it was to close to a big posh house with a gang of ninja yappy dogs who would sound the alarm and a angry man would come running. To be honest he was a decent enough bloke just didn’t really want people spannering themselves at the end of his garden.

jhw
    Free Member

Without giving away the location of anything, would you say this is the biggest stuff in the area that is integrated into an actual track of any length (as opposed to isolated drops etc. such as those found on Leith)?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Kit and JCLs trail is madness…its still there is bits. Didn’t someone break both their arms on it 😯

freeridenick
    Free Member

Wade and Gully somewhere in deepest darkest Surrey/sussex? circa 2005

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Nice!! 😆

jhw
    Free Member

Those are great pictures, made me proud to ride here

I much prefer riding FR when there’s a little weather to when it’s complete blue skies, so much more atmospheric

jhw
    Free Member

Also, those pics make my initial post about that little undulation on Ranmore look trifling!

doris
    Free Member

the pics are mother hucker and booter, never had the bottle to do mother hucker though, not sure my little turner would like it much aswell :o)

the booter is fun and there is a little gap to the right of the mother hucker as you look at it that is fun.

I think it was kit who broke his arms? on the one over the diagonal tree, don’t quote me on that though.

jhw
    Free Member

I thought I knew the area’s secrets well but have no idea where those are. Does anyone care to divulge, on a PM basis? Sorry, I am constantly posting on here asking for trail hints. Either way – I feel a full face and flats weekend coming on*

The second one looks particularly sweet.

*if I am ever allowed to leave the office again

MrSmith
    Free Member

JCL posts on here sometimes.
    he’s working with alcoholic native north american Indians on a reservation in Canada so internet access is intermittent but i’m sure he will like to see these pics.

freeridenick
    Free Member

jhw, theres not much of it left to be honest and difficut to find as no trail really exists anymore but it started off the Greensand way and ended up basically in the garden of Campfield Place.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=513472&y=143015&z=115&sv=513472,143015&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=597&ax=513472&ay=143015&lm=0

The large trail features are still there though.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks. I can see how that could potentially be a very sensitive location. I really need to get to know Leith Hill better. That is an extremely sweet looking jump.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yes General Major Fuddly Dudley and his pack of corgis didn’t quite get how sweet the hip jump was.

freeridenick
    Free Member

A few more 😛

Pretty cool the godfather of freeride hit up leith hill

jhw
    Free Member

I wonder what brought him here?

freeridenick
    Free Member

To ride the legend that is summer lightning 😆

I seem to remember he was here for Rocky Mountain bikes
    http://www.silverfish-uk.com/content/reviews_of_cove-bike-frames.php?articleshow=190

jedi

jcl= true uk legend <bow>

heihei

Yes General Major Fuddly Dudley and his pack of corgis didn’t quite get how sweet the hip jump was.

Ha ha ha. Love it!

Back to the original q, I really like the trails on Ranmore, and think they are the best combination of flowing trails and bigger jumps. I took my Intense Slopestyle up there earlier in the year along with the full-face and nailed a number of the bigger jumps, including the final one onto the road. You need a fair amount of speed into it due to, as noted above, the lip is receding. I rode it 3-4 times and cased it quite heavily once or twice.
    Simon’s new trail is good – more in the mind than technically difficult. The run in is very narrow, the drop lands onto roots, and the double comes up very quickly. Nice trail though.
    I’ve heard talk of the freeride gods dropping through the tree gap – while the drop itself is not huge by modern riding standards, the entrance is ugly, and the runout not pretty either. There is also a big drop off a tiny ledge that then runs onto a pill-box, which you can then drop. Never had the balls to do this one though!
    The other good one, which I haven’t ridden in a while, is at the other end of Ranmore, called Grevious Angel.

tonyg2003

The jump is on a trail called revelation which is just closer to the road than the blind terrors (hope I’m not giving too much away there). It’s waaay beyond me. Revelation has more than its fair share of stacks with our group.

doris
    Free Member

The jump is on a trail called revelation which is just closer to the road than the blind terrors

which jump? the one that wade did?

There is also a big drop off a tiny ledge that then runs onto a pill-box, which you can then drop

is this the one where the edge is an old fallen tree and the landing is short before you run on to the roof of the pill box? slow and steady is the order of the day here, otherwise you might miss the ramp onto the pill box and hit the side of it instead :o)

AndyRT
    Free Member

would somebody put me in a position of understanding where the first video that freeridenick linked to, actually is? I MUST ride it! 😮

jhw
    Free Member

Nirvana will show you, particularly if you go on the earlier sat ride

Toombsy
    Free Member

Is it 10am from Nirvana on a saturday morning? Can any one tag along or do they need to check my ability first? I did actually teach both those guys all they know 😉

heihei

is this the one where the edge is an old fallen tree and the landing is short before you run on to the roof of the pill box? slow and steady is the order of the day here, otherwise you might miss the ramp onto the pill box and hit the side of it instead :o)

Yep thats the one. Beyond me!

dzm
    Free Member

Just to clarify a few things;

Kit broke both his arms on a trail called Killer, which is near, but not the same as Booter/Mother Hucker.

Those photos are not shot by freeridenick.

JCL is not a legend, he is a devient.

A short video of Mother/Hucker and some other, now defunct, Surrey treats:

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Have you done "that" jump near Abinger’ is closed to new replies.