Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Help me choose a dog.
  • bigsi
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – That is a smashing looking dog but don’t you find that his/her ears affect the reception on your satellite TV 😆

bigsi
    Free Member

ooops, nothing to see here, move along please 😳

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Took my 3 month old puppy out for a very, very short ride for the first time a few days ago. She loved it! She is a vizsla cross.

colnagokid

Good luck, please ring round the the dog shelters, you might just find the the pup your looking for 😆

miketually
    Free Member

We got an ex-racing greyhound from Dogs Trust a few weeks ago.

Sleeps a lot, bloody big and thick as hell. But strangely lovable.

Cost us £100 as a donation to get her. £72 last Friday for a course of anti-biotics (for bad gums) and flea treatments for a year and £120 for dental treatment yesterday.

Today she ran into the side of a moving car, despite being 200m from the road, and unable to see it, when let off the lead. Seriously, thick!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

That Lurcher of anagallis_arvensis is a great looking dog. We had a Lurcher as a family dog for 12 years. It was so bright and loving.

DezB
    Free Member

seth-enslow666 –. I just bought a German Shorthaired pointer and have found out about vets! Poor pup at 5 months is lame at moment with no end to it getting better soon.

That’s what I’ve got – hope your’s gets sorted mate. She’s a fantastic trail-dog. Other traits have made her (well, me!) very popular on this forum 😉

No_discerning_taste – isn’t that a bit young to have them running that hard? Only from what I’ve read on here, but I think you need to let their bones develop to avoid problems in later life. Worth investigating.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

DezB- I think you overestimate the speed I’m doing coming down that hill!!but on a serious note, I discussed this with the vet. The key is to build it up slowly, with short frequent walks, this is especially important with big heavy breeds. She will be more of a light, medium size build I think.

To be honest she is physically more active running around the living room than she is running with me for a few minutes. And she doesn’t seem to listen to me telling her it isn’t good for her bones! 🙂 At the moment she is doing 40 minute walks or about 5-10 minute runs.

surfer
    Free Member

Izzy the Lakeland Terrier. Mad as a bucket of Frogs but good family pet.

Does bark a little but easy to manage and loves coming running.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool. Hope you don’t think I was making assumptions, but thought I’d mention it.
    Ours was old enough to run ragged when we got her!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I think thats what had happened with my GSP. I did not buy her as a trail dog. I have no intention of her running with me while I cycle around. I did buy her though as I enjoy walking a lot. I reckon I have walked her a little too much. They are hard dogs to work out though as they never get tired. I have never seen a dog with stamina like my GSP and would be hard pushed to think I ever will. She was a real handfull untill she got knocked up with her front elbow joints swelling. Her own hyperactivity has contributed to this. She has got a thing called HDO which effects large/medium breeds. She should grow out of it as her growth slows down. ITs just a shme the summer is here and shes on her bed most of the day resting her joints up!

I would not take a dog now on a long walk untill its over 6 month old. But I have had dogs before and never had any such problems. Its luck of the draw. Great dogs though the German Pointers. Is yours black and white DezB ?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Pic of my dog when it was well! Her joints are so swollen I doubt I could fit her on a pic now

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, mostly black, with a thin white chest stripe

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Another vote for a BT (Border Terrier) Best dogs ever, although this ones a right lazy madam.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah mate, she’s gorgeous. See you’ve got a crate (cage, I call it!) too.
    Ours spent the first few months in one of those – settled down so much once we got rid of it.

About a year old:

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

try again, too small

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Dez your dog has some good muscle on it! GSPs can bulk up like body builders by the look of a lot of them you see. I can see why my dog has these growing problems when you realise how big and how much muscle they stick on in such a short time!

Plain Black GSPs look nice and the plan brown. I nearly got a black and white patched one from the same litter. But I reckon it would have looked like a small cow when it got fully grown

DezB
    Free Member

She sure has – thighs like Arnie. Look funny with the skinny ankles!

goon
    Free Member

but don’t you find that his/her ears affect the reception on your satellite TV

Lurcher ears are frequently wayward. Especially if like Ted you have been issued with a pair two sizes too big.

They are a particular liability if you catch a squirrel, fail to kill it, and let it bite you on the end of the lughole.

Travis

reading this makes me sooo want a dog.. don’t think the cat would approve though (and we live in an flat)

headfirst
    Free Member

great pics loon, fully recovered from squirrel episode I hope?

bigsi
    Free Member

goon – Ted looks fantastic fun except for the last photo where he just look bewildered. 😛

Our Tri-colour Boarder Collie loves Lurchers, well he loves to chase them but never manages to catch them 🙄

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I think I will get anothe Lurcher after looking at the pics. I wsh I could but i reckon 2 dogs would be hard work. especailly when you dont have anyone else to take the out etc.

Lucas
    Free Member

We have an Elmo…..Lab/Collie cross. To be honest I could not ask for a better dog. Good size, not to big but not small and yappy, really easy to train, fantastic temprament and he loves biking and running with me.

He also likes frizby:

And checking out what his little mate Raffa (My parents dog) is doing with his ball:

goon
    Free Member

Fully recovered thanks Headfirst.

where he just look bewildered.

In his defence he has just recovered from a GA, and woken up minus his dicky dew claw and with a sore ear. Then again, he’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer. This vicious hot air balloon invaded his airspace on Wednesday. He barked and barked until it disappeared round the wall, then legged it upstairs and stood on our bed to get a better view and carry on barking to make sure it was well and truly seen off.

bigsi
    Free Member

goon – Timmy (the collie) does that with seagulls from the safety of our bedroom, front paws on the window sill and barks at them till they clear off,,,,, trouble is we live in Worthing about 5 mins from the sea 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

not a recommendation for a trail dog
    not a recommendation for a small dog

just a blatant pic opportunity.

Spaceman
    Free Member

LOL at the last pic of Ted! Cracking looking dog but looks so sorry for himself with his bandages on!

anagallis_arvensis

Kea my 5 month old lurcher is already the fastest dog in the park, or at least she thought she was till she met a greyhound this morning, that seriously dented her lurcher pride.

PS those male greyhounds are fookin massive!!

hora
    Free Member

Give Ted a pat from me- put a big ol smile on my face with his paw/ear injuries!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

One for the Staffie fans

and she is great with kids

especially the big ones!!!

PePPeR

Spaceman I was just reading your post about perhaps ending up with a Pedigree Border terrier, as far as I remember (twas a few years ago now) but Borders aren’t a Pedigree breed, (probably why they are so sturdy)
    So don’t worry about trying to find a pedigree border.

Parson Russell Terriers are pedigree though.

Although I’ve just had a peek through the KC website, and it looks like I may be wrong sorry.

stufield
    Free Member

Soobalias – I so miss my rottie, she had bad legs so we had to put her down, softest dog in the world…

legin
    Free Member

i opted for a yorkichon a cross between a yorkshire terrier and a bichon frise hes a babe magnet being so cute and he is small enough to chuck in the car and take everywhere and a playful little chap

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Save your money and rescue an adult dog from the RSPCA. Comes pre house trained 😀

daveells
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with a springer spaniel IMO.

My springer at 8 weeks old.

At 6 months. The best trail dog as loves running and getting wet and muddy, can’t go wrong IMO.

benjag
    Free Member

Ron, that’s a really nice staffie!

zaskar
    Free Member

Bichon Frise:

Good growler, fun, smart and loyal but not a great guard dog as one kick… but kids will love it and they are friendly!

Family friend has 2 of these and their kids love them.

benjag
    Free Member

my border

big-chief-96
    Free Member

I would advice a springer spaniel. there a medium sized dog and they are used to running about on moors for hours on end so they have plenty of energy. they are also very springy on their feet so perfect for downhill and freeride. hope this helps 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a dog.’ is closed to new replies.