Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HELP! Rockshox REBA Advice needed
  • richie_boy
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a set of 2006 REBA World Cup procured from this very website.

Supplied with poploc but im getting no spring back once ive engaged lock out (unless i manually twist it back to unlock the forks)

Disasembled the motion control gubbins and i find i have no spring but confusingly, nowhere that a spring would apparently fit either. The pop loc lever on the bar is not spring loaded so what's missing?

The forks are identical to the ones on this review

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/RockShox-Reba-World-Cup-Review-2006.html

and if you scroll down the page the top view of the pop loc version of the motion control is shown clearly.

Confused

richie_boy
    Free Member

after 1 hour of lubing easing, pulling, more pulling, lubing…..we have much springiness.

YEEESSSS!!!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…this is good. I was beginning to think this was possibly the most tragically under-rated thread of all time.

I had no idea what you were going on about though. 😛

richie_boy
    Free Member

tonight i have fettled until my hands hurt, but i will go to sleep a happy man

markyd

FYI, the return spring live right down in th middle of the damper, so assuming all you did was dismantle the dial on the top you wouldn't find it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What Mark says is true. If you unscrew the Motion Control unit, there's a spring coiled round the shaft in the middle.

It's a bit long winded, but if you HAVE A LOOK AT THIS and scroll down to the 9th-11th pics you'll see what we mean. This is the return spring. No spring = No return, and means the forks were specced with a crown mounted lockout, not a PushLoc 🙂

richie_boy
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice. The forks were specified with a pushloc unit but the spring had siezed tight. I realised after posting that the spring was hidden down in the damper but after much easing and lubing there now seems to be quite a lot of spring tension and although I havnt fitted the poploc yet, plenty enough to return the lever and motion control assembly.

iainc

richie-boy if you find it still sticky in use have a search on here. I posted up a few months ago and with the help of PeterPoddy removed my pushloc and went for a fork top dial instead, which IMO is a much better solution for this fork. The spring inside the motion control unit is simply too weak, so as soon as there is any dirt or dust on the dial or cable it stops returning.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Iain, that's the link above mate! 😉

iainc

Iain, that's the link above mate!

indeed it is, and this one too :

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/reba-sl-converting-remote-lockout-to-leg-top-lever

😆

richie_boy
    Free Member

forks now installed to test steerer length (which is about 50mm too long!) and also pop loc function.

The poploc is snapping back with some force ive got to say. The tension created by the spring is strong. The spring had actally siezed which is the confusing bit as sureley its kept lubricated by the fork oil? The forks had never been locked out in the years they had been ridden but even when i'd fully stripped and cleaned the visible components on top of the fork leg the tension didnt return. I attached a cable and just kept on working the mechanism back and too until normal service was resumed. I can see how crap from the trail will weaken the force especially as it gets into the cable run between poploc and fork leg, but i hate fumbling around on the fork leg for lock out so i'll persevere with pop/pushloc at this stage.

richie_boy
    Free Member

i did drop a bit of "lubrice" oil which penetrated the area within the 24mm bolt to assist process

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Rockshox REBA Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.