Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help tightening a rivet-nut – water bottle bit in frame.
  • Wally

Trying this because the pressed bit in the frame is very loose and spins around when tightening up. Frame was bought on here as a new frame, and I understand how the seller would have no idea this was the case and that this does happen, from time to time.

But I am holding top nut and tightening the bottom, pulling the rivet nut up into the frame and in theory flaring it out to lock it, but it is not working. Still loose. Any suggestions?
    I have seen the park thread about using a front QR and spare hub, I have no spare hub.

Any suggestions before I hit the LBS tomorrow?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats the only way I know of tightening them and it worked for me.

Wally

MarkII method also failing to make it grip. Arghhhhhhh.

toys19
    Free Member

Drill it out and get a car body shop to fit another.

Wally

Sorted, well kind of.
    2nd method did tighten the rivet-nut enough for a screw to go on and not rattle around. But the thicker metal seatpost has far more secure water bottle mountings, neither down tube ones ever tighened enough before they spun, so those will be left well alone now they will no longer rattle around and annoy the hell out of me.

phil56

borrow a proper rivnut tool? They crimp the rivnut without having to hold it still – I suspect thats why your tools aren’t working, the rivnut turns when you tighten the nut.

I have one (east midlands) if that is any use to you.

Wally

2nd method does a good job of crimping, but it was getting to the point I was getting scared of damaging the thin metal there.

coatesy
    Free Member

Got a rivnut tool if you’re in the Cardiff area.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got one if you’re in the Taunton area.

steellam
    Free Member

I’v got one in between wigan/warrington if any nearer

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got one here in the FoD if any one needs one.

coatesy
    Free Member

That’s about half the country we’ve got covered, Sod’s Law says he’s in the other half 🙂

Wally

Yep, I’m in Essex.
    Can I paypal gift any previous poster the postage cost to me of the tool? Signed for delivery?? Say £10 to cover postage and hassle.
    I will of course post back 1st class and recorded at my cost.

Wally.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help tightening a rivet-nut – water bottle bit in frame.’ is closed to new replies.