Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helsinki – Worth a visit?
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

As is says really, thinking of going at the end of the month, it looks good and its something different. Is it a good bet or is there somewhere else thats not an obvious city break I should look at?

daim

Helsinki is an ace city. Very laid back. Great people, good bars and restaurants: I can recommend Zetor which is owned by local band "The Leningrad Cowboys" and is full of tractors and Sipuli if you want something posh. Boat ride to the zoo which is on an island – fun. Easy place to cycle around, very flat, tourist bikes everywhere. Trams everywhere if you don't want to ride. Great shopping and a great market at the weekend.

A while since I have been so YMMV but would love to go back before too long as it is where I proposed to my wife 🙂

mattstreet

Yeah, it's a good place to spend a couple of days. As said, lots of good bars.
    Some interesting things to see too – the Suomenlinna sea fortress is worth a visit and if you get bored after a couple of days I think you can easily get a train or ferry to St. Petersburg.

oddjob
    Free Member

Really cool city and plenty of good bars. The Finns like a drinl too…

Pigface
    Free Member

Fab place, go see Jokerit play. Could be real cold so take some warm stuff. Not big walking around is easy. Trams can suprise you. Stunning women and everyone can speak English.

Learn some Finnish

Kitos – thankyou
    moimoi – goodbye
    Terve – hello

DrJ

Another vote for Helsinki. Finns are totally crazy. I have a vague recollection of drinking Russian champagne from a girl's shoe in a cellar – it seemed a good idea at the time.

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

I'm going tomorrow with work and staying in the Presidentii hotel. Weather looks a bit grim though. Wet, dark and cold.

Meeting agenda includes sauna and swim in lake.

mt
    Free Member

Stayed in same Hotel, very nice. Helsinki is a good city, had many visits. People are great and like to talk.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Sounds great, thanks guys. What about cost? I hear it can be quite £££?

DrJ

Finnish joke (not very good, but an element of truth …)

2 Finns in a bar.
    1st Finn "Cheers" (Kippis, in Finnish, IIRC)
    2nd Finn "Did we come here to drink, or to talk?"

And yes, mucho £££

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yup the finns are fun- just been over, and yes, it is cold and expensive. Pack the thermals….

The train to St Peteresburg is great- v. atmospheric (the attendants all look like Olga Kleb from 'From Russia with Love') and St Petersburg is a gorgeous city, woth extending your stay for a few days visit!

Moses

Go. It's a great place, lots of Art Deco architecture. It'll get dark early, this time of year though.

I found it very peaceful and rather mournful , as if I'd been dumped by a girl I wasn't keen on anyway.

Sidney
    Free Member

Helsinki is great. I lived there for 6 months while I did Finnish national service – hardcore (I'm half Finnish so may be slightly biased).

Everywhere in Europe is expensive since the pound plummeted but I've never found it any different from drinking in London. A lot of Finns drink at home beforehand to lighten the burden…

The Finns have a reputation for being quiet but after a few beers they loosen up. Plus, once they find out you're English speaking they'll want to practise on you!

It's probably worth getting a 3 day travel ticket that can be used on the trams, buses and underground.

As for cold and gloom, they've had their first snow already last week but it's unlikely to settle.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

All Booked.

Just a thought – won't I need a visa to go to St. Petersburg for the day?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helsinki – Worth a visit?’ is closed to new replies.