• This topic has 32 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Ed-O.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Heptonstall Route
  • gymaint
    Free Member

I often do a ride (MBR route I’m affraid) it starts in Hebden Bridge then up to Shackleton, on to Walshaw, pass Gorple Reservoisrs, down to Jack Bridge then downhill all the way on the bridleway opposite the New Delight car park, all the way down to Hebden. I often see people riding up from Hebden along the bridleway to Jack Bridge but often wonder which way they got then. Doing the MBR route in reverse would be rubbish, so I would appreciate some suggestions please.

steel4real
    Free Member

OS Map no. 21 (South Pennine leisure map) would be my suggestion, just look at all the choices around blackshaw head and heptonstall.

knott4me
    Free Member

or mate your missing out loads of good stuff.

this is my favourite place to ride & i know it like the back of my hand.

im allready commited to doing whinlatter this sunday but the sunday after i would be happy to meat you & show you around there taking in jack bridge/studley mankinholes .26/28 stunning miles with some awesome downhill sections & some beasty climbs.

mail me @ work simon@nmauk.com

oomidamon

Pick up a copy of Nick Dutton-Taylor’s book – Mountain Bike Guide for West Yorkshire, it’s got a few options in the area.

knott4me
    Free Member

the riders you see come out of the bridleway which is easy to miss near jack bridge.

a lot of new signs have gone up over winter so it makes it easier for beginers.

now im thinking i may try & talk my mate out of whinlatter .

can you make this sunday morning.

gymaint
    Free Member

knott4me. Thanks for the offer. “beasty climbs” I’m not very fit so if so as long as you don’t mind a easy pace I would be up for it. Next Sunday would be brilliant. I can’t do this Sunday either I have a mate over and can’t cancel. I’ll email you towards the end of next week or email me dpowilliams@hotmail.com. I’m not very fit so if so as long as you don’t mind a easy pace it would be

knott4me
    Free Member

riding some of this on sunday .15th, start at 9.00am @ the robin hood inn pecket well.24mls of awesome riding.pm me for any more info if interested

ton

and get some protection cos it hurts there when you tumble…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I came down Jack Bridge once. Only once… Always go up now and take an ‘alternative’ route back down into Hebden 🙂

knott4me
    Free Member

the boulders down jack are legendary.they would destoy the carbon ht.
    anyway we turn right just before it .

ton

which descent are you on about….

SimpleDumbPilot
    Free Member

get cheeky – there’s ample

Richyb
    Free Member

Loads of good stuff, get the OS and go hunting

Ed-O
    Free Member

Or employ the services of a guide 🙂 The MBR route is just wrong.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, I would say get a guide to show you Barely Legal. Thats a better descent than Jack Bridge!

dave360

“i would be happy to meat you”

hope you know what you’re letting yourself in for, Gym…

baronspudulike
    Free Member

If you do head down the bridleway from the New Delight Inn and don’t fancy ending up down in Hebden you can climb back up into the back of Colden by taking a slight detour and get the blood pumping with a short steep climb. When you reach the end of the rocky decent and you reach the T junction with the dirt road, think its Calis Bridge, that leads down towards Hebden rather than turn right to Hebden you can turn left. Follow this over a bridge and up a cobble road going around one switchback and then when you reach the next switchback of the road you keep going stright on along a bridleway. You follow this as it snakes up the hill with a few switchbacks all the way tot he top. Keep following the bridleway signs till you hit a tarmaced farm track, go left and follow it around to the right and you’ll come out in Slack Top/Colden by the large grass area that is sometimes used for football and flying little helicopters. This way you get to do the good bit of the descent, a good, hard and short climb, and you’re still at the top of the hill to join up with more trails.

brant
    Free Member

Yep, I would say get a guide to show you Barely Legal. Thats a better descent than Jack Bridge!

Yes, but not a lot of use if you’re trying to descend from the Nudey Light.

And we wouldn’t want everyone riding mmmbop 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sod it, its worth doing Nudey Light > road up to Slack > Slack Tracks > up to Heptonstall > Midgets Pit > up the road > Barely Legal > back into Hebden for coffee/beer/lesbians.

Ed-O
    Free Member

mmm bop is a disgrace with the growing pussy lines. Either ride the steps or ride somewhere else. Yeah.

brant
    Free Member

DBW – it’s WORTH paying Ed to take you out.

http://www.great-rock.co.uk

Richyb
    Free Member

mmm bop is a disgrace with the growing pussy lines. Either ride the steps or ride somewhere else. Yeah.

Ooh didn’t realise there was a protocol for riding sections. If its the one i’m thinking of (don’t go in for silly naming) Ive always gone left of the post at the top just coz it gets you on to the steps easier. Its not as though its steps all the way down anyway, so the lines are bound to evolve with weather/erosion/time.

brant
    Free Member

http://twitpic.com/1xq6d

(and they thought the nukeproof ti bars looked silly).

Richyb
    Free Member

See what you mean, never taken that line. Ive usually taken the line to the right of the little stump to get directly on to the steps (as you’re looking at that picture).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve always sh*t myself just considering it. This summer when its dry though I’m going to wind my forks out and do it.

brant
    Free Member

@Richyb – yes – Me too previously to be honest 🙂

Tremendous sense of satisfaction doing it “right” though 😉

brant
    Free Member

@dbw – “This summer when its dry though I’m going to wind my forks out and do it.” -Forks all the same length when they’re fully compressed 🙂

Richyb
    Free Member

I’ll have a crack next time we’re up there!

knott4me
    Free Member

i think a few of us should get a ride organized….soon

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

k4m, agreed.

Brant – I think my forks have lockout – wind em out to 160mm and lock them!

Really want to have a go though…

Dave
    Free Member

the boulders down jack are legendary.

There’s boulders down Jack Bridge? or did you mean they are imaginary? 😉

knott4me
    Free Member

the bridleway across the road from the newdeli down to hebden is the one i was refering too.

not sure on the correct name.

..also how many people get caught out by the dog at the farm barking on the track before you get to newdeli.

i still never get used to it.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I’ll have a crack next time we’re up there!

That’s the spirit Richyb.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Heptonstall Route’ is closed to new replies.