Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 279 total)
  • Hi Fi cable – directional? Are they taking the p*ss?
  • csb

Got some posh cables with a second-hand hi-fi.

Each of the interconnect cables have a 'ground-end' sticker on one end of them. The website suggests they should be plugged in with that sticker at the source end of the CD-Pre-Power link.

Are they for real?

ransos
    Free Member

Posh hifi cables are snake oil. If the manufacturers were confident in their claims, they would conduct double-blind tests to prove the difference. They don't becuase there isn't one.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above nonsese i tried with my £50 ones (a gift) and the cheapest I could find you cannot tell the difference IMHO.
    Speaker wire is different up to apoint.

Can you tell if you use a deore mech or an XTR though?

GrahamS

Quite possible that they fitted some kind of filter to it which reduces the reflected signal, therefore making the cable directional.

Or it could just be the direction they rubbed the "special crystals" on it.

funkynick

Are they taking the piss?

Yes…

Next!

BigDummy
    Free Member

With cheap ones it's less important, as you're only going to be pushing 3-minute pop songs down them. A more expensive set-up gets to have an entire Ring Cycle forced through it at very high volume. That's pretty much like the difference between a penis and a baby, and you wouldn't try to get the baby to go the other way. 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Some cables are sort of directional in so much that the earth shield is only attached at one end, for sound electronic reasons. But the ones that claim that their actual wire is directional, probably also claim that sticking them in a homeopathic solution will naturally improve the sound quality.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I don't know about expensive HiFi cables, but….

If there is proper shielding on the cable then this should eb grounded, but only in one place. This is to prevent the creation of a ground loop where small currents (noise) could cause problems.

It seemd very overkill for a HiFi and will only make a difference if everything else is also setup to prevent ground loops.

funkynick

Earth shield? On a speaker cable?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Speaker wire is different up to apoint.

must be run along a ley line for true realism 🙁

tragically1969
    Free Member

Its all utter pish, they came up with the "aligned electrons in the copper" bull years ago to rip people off for £300 a meter cables

Just do a search on Kimber cables for a laugh !!

And sheilding ?

He is talking about interconnects, they dont have shielding on them.

spooky_b329

Wasn't this directional cable a running joke on STW a couple of years back? I remember it popping up in a lot of post for several weeks, a bit like the generic answer 'Conti Vert Pro's' 🙂

funkynick

Doh… just assumed it was another speaker cable thing, they usually are!

Anyway, how would interconnects only being grounded at one end work then? Where is the signal return path?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Blurb, and only £604….for 8ft !!!!
    Speaker Cable

traildog
    Free Member

If you cannot tell the difference yourself then why worry? Either wire them up the way it says and forget about it, or do it wrong and make a lot of noise on internet forums about how you think it's daft and you know which end of a soldering iron to hold so you're an expert.
    However, cables have directionality. It's a known phenomenon and measurable.
    It is also perfectly possible to hear the difference in having the cables the wrong way round, with your eyes open or closed…

glenh
    Free Member

Music is an AC signal.

It goes both ways anyway!

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. traildog, please provide me with a physical explanation of how an speaker cable can be directional. 😈

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL.

Any of you tried listening to proper cables in a good system in a well set up room?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Nordost Valhalla interconnects sound nice!

Sam

Kimber? Pah, get serious! you need some Nordost Odins… Yes, £12,000 might seem like a lot for a cable but wait 'til you hear them!

grumm
    Free Member

Any of you tried listening to proper cables in a go system in a well set up room?

Have you tried a blind test of cheap vs expensive cables in that situation? Thought not.

You would think cynic-al might be a bit more, well… cynical? 🙂

funkynick

Directionality of cables? You've having a giraffe!!!

Do you think anyone has told the National Grid? Just think of the power they could be wasting!!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

It is also perfectly possible to hear the difference in having the cables the wrong way round, with your eyes open or closed…
    As pointed out by glenh the signal is AC, so how would this work?

GrahamS

And does any of this actually matter when you're just going to be playing FM radio, poorly sampled mp3s or 44.1 kHz CDs?

funkynick

Obviously it does GrahamS, otherwise why would people spend soooo much money on it…

;o)

csb

Riiiight. So it's not going to explode if I get it wrong then. Good.

Must say they do look nice. Fat and yellow.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Probably worth it buying a decent quality cable but if there is an improvement in using high end cables its way beyond my law of diminishing returns.

I reckon the improvement people hear from upgrading cables is due to the removal of corrosion on the speaker terminals brought about by the act of changing the cables which results in a better contact for the new speaker cable.

dustytrails

Good cables do make a difference. BUT…..Only if the kit they're used with is worthy of them. The difference in Naim std interconnect & Naim Highline is totally breathtaking!!! I.M.O.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

or indeed to see the Virgin Mary rising from a cloud…

clubber
    Free Member

Naim std interconnect & Naim Highline is totally breathtaking

Well the price no doubt is. LOL.

traildog
    Free Member

p.s. traildog, please provide me with a physical explanation of how an speaker cable can be direction

No, I am not arrogant enough to think I know everything. There are many things in this world I do not understand.

Directionality of cables?
    Do you think anyone has told the National Grid

Or the telecoms industry? Oh wait, they already know about it and worry about it.

Have you tried a blind test of cheap vs expensive cables in that situation

How else would you buy such a thing? You'd always get the cheapest if you knew prices and there was no difference. The difference is often very noticeable.

by the act of changing the cables which results in a better contact for the new speaker cable.

This is very true and a good point. Just remaking your contacts every few months is well worth it.

traildog
    Free Member

or indeed to see the Virgin Mary rising from a cloud…

Whether or not its the Virgin Mary rising from a cloud or not, has nothing to do with cable science.

If a tree fell in a forest and you didn't hear or see it. Did it ever fall? Perhaps it's still standing?

funkynick

The telecoms industry? Care to let us know where within the telecoms industry they use this property? Lemme guess though… long distance transmission cables maybe?

If that's the case, and it's a noticable phenomena over an 8ft run of cable, it must be massive over long distance cables.

Oh, any why doesn't the IEEE have any papers on it? You'd think they might…

grumm
    Free Member

How else would you buy such a thing? You'd always get the cheapest if you knew prices and there was no difference. The difference is often very noticeable.

What really? A blind test where you didn't know which cable was which? Pretty easy to convince yourself you can hear a difference when you know which is which.

tragically1969
    Free Member

funkynick

Shhhh, he's just annoyed that people think he is silly for spending hundreds of quid per meter for cables on his hi-fi !!!

traildog

You really need to point us in the direction of this research\evidence that a directional cable has any merits in the Hi-Fi world to make anybody believe a word, after all thats what we were talking about, not the telecomms industry ?

dustytrails

Clubber – unfortunately – the price is quite breathtaking – although nowhere near as breathtaking as some 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

If a tree fell in a forest and you didn't hear or see it. Did it ever fall? Perhaps it's still standing?

Show me the science!

GrahamS

Course you can.

See also Think yourself a sharper TV picture (NewScientist, Sep 2009) 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

hifi bears the same relationship to electronics as astrology does to astonomy :o)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 279 total)

The topic ‘Hi Fi cable – directional? Are they taking the p*ss?’ is closed to new replies.